Neurobehavioural signatures in race car driving: a case study

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Zynerji

Neurobehavioural signatures in race car driving: a case study

Thought this was interesting enough to share.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-68423-2

nzjrs

Re: Neurobehavioural signatures in race car driving: a case study

Thanks!

Airshifter

I've been meaning to take a look at this and finally did.

I was really hoping they did greater comparisons to give us more info. Regular average driver vs pro driver, easy track stuff vs harder track stuff, etc, etc.

Still interesting, but with more comparisons we might be able to see how a pro differs from the average person, and if the driving skill differences are as much brain function related or more skills related.

johnny comelately

Just a few thoughts on an associated topic, I have watched the slight change in Pierre Gasley's performance since Japan in the wet.
When he was getting back around to join the pack and came across the tractor on the track the effect on him must have been profound, as demonstrated by his radio comment.
There is a point where, particularly in the time compression, one would assume some faith in the procedures and particularly so after Jules Bianchi's death at the same venue.
And here some will say yes but a professional driver will compartmentalise this and move on.
My opinion is that his surprise was fair enough and after his friends death in 2015 and believing that it would be almost impossible for the "officials" to make the same mistake twice he was simply incredulous. There were far better alternatives, demonstrating the need for AI decision making rather than the foibles of parochial human nature or at least to be trained by the same logics.
And to make matters worse for him he got penalised! (classically, some would say WTF)
I say this becuse he and to a good degree assumed there would not be a tractor on track in these very low visibility conditions.

johnny comelately

johnny comelately wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 23:46
Just a few thoughts on an associated topic, I have watched the slight change in Pierre Gasley's performance since Japan in the wet.
When he was getting back around to join the pack and came across the tractor on the track the effect on him must have been profound, as demonstrated by his radio comment.
There is a point where, particularly in the time compression, one would assume some faith in the procedures and particularly so after Jules Bianchi's death at the same venue.
And here some will say yes but a professional driver will compartmentalise this and move on.
My opinion is that his surprise was fair enough and after his friends death in 2015 and believing that it would be almost impossible for the "officials" to make the same mistake twice he was simply incredulous. There were far better alternatives, demonstrating the need for AI decision making rather than the foibles of parochial human nature or at least to be trained by the same logics.
And to make matters worse for him he got penalised! (classically, some would say WTF)
I say this becuse he and to a good degree assumed there would not be a tractor on track in these very low visibility conditions.