F1 2022 Safety Car future as Mercedes-AMG GT (including GT R variant) will schedule to end of production after 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

F1 2022 Safety Car future as Mercedes-AMG GT (including GT R variant) will schedule to end of production after 2021

The current Mercedes-AMG GT R Safety Car.

Mercedes-AMG GT (including GT R) sport supercar facing out of production after this year and Formula 1 current Safety Car as a Mercedes-AMG official Safety Car vehicle for 2022 season onwards in doubt as FIA will seek AMG GT R Safety Car successor.

Who will replace AMG GT R as Mercedes-AMG's Formula 1 Official Safety Car from 2022 season onwards? I guess Mercedes-AMG One hybrid sport hypercar will be the perfect successor of Mercedes-AMG GT R sport supercar.

Your opinions?

adrianjordan

Re: F1 2022 Safety Car future as Mercedes-AMG GT (including GT R variant) will schedule to end of production after 2021

I'm sure Aston Martin are angling for a full time deal..!!

They could continue using the current Merc for another season or 2 and then I am sure AMG are working on a new version of the new SL as a coupe.

Or maybe for an open top racing series, we could have an open top, roadster Safety car!!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

theriusDR3
theriusDR3

Re: F1 2022 Safety Car future as Mercedes-AMG GT (including GT R variant) will schedule to end of production after 2021

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
13 Nov 2021, 13:40

They could continue using the current Merc for another season or 2 and then I am sure AMG are working on a new version of the new SL as a coupe.

Or maybe for an open top racing series, we could have an open top, roadster Safety car!!!
How about Mercedes-AMG One hybrid sport hypercar?

adrianjordan

theriusDR3 wrote: ↑
13 Nov 2021, 13:47

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicl ... -2017.jpeg
https://www.mercedes-benz.co.id/passeng ... 35023.jpeg
Now that would be something, but I don't see it. Too exclusive a car. The Safety Car is as much a marketing tool as anything else.

Plus, how well would that beast cope with the extreme wet weather the Safety Car has to run in? (Yes, I admit, my roadster idea also has a wet weather downside lol)

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

13 Nov 2021, 13:50

Now that would be something, but I don't see it. Too exclusive a car. The Safety Car is as much a marketing tool as anything else.

Plus, how well would that beast cope with the extreme wet weather the Safety Car has to run in? (Yes, I admit, my roadster idea also has a wet weather downside lol)
If they use the Project One or the AM Valkyrie, it would probably help clear water when it rains and would stop drivers being annoyed at the safety car going too slowly

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

how about Ferrari FXX, that would be awesome
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

JordanMugen

I think it would be a Mercedes (or Aston Martin) EV. I think the Mercedes EV range is called the EQ range, and the first model is the SUV EQC:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

JordanMugen wrote: ↑
13 Nov 2021, 18:08
I think it would be a Mercedes (or Aston Martin) EV. I think the Mercedes EV range is called the EQ range, and the first model is the SUV EQC:

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/jp1Lg ... pening.jpg
i doubt that car can even remotely come close to any of the AMG GT performances,
and even then there have been complains about the car being too slow by drivers behind it during SC,
so i couldn't fathom how that car could come to pass.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

JordanMugen wrote: ↑
13 Nov 2021, 18:08

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/jp1Lg ... pening.jpg
I like the idea, but EV's aren't there yet in terms of pure performance and battery life when driven flat out.

I suspect 2022 will stay with the same Safety Cars as this season and then perhaps we'll see a change from 2023, either with a different high performance AMG or just Aston Martin. Or another brand altogether. Maybe a McLaren Safety Car!! 😝

Raleigh
Raleigh

I can't realistically see either the AMG One or Valkyrie as safety car.

Speed is good but you also need something that starts on a button push and can run 100% reliably for a whole weekend event.

Stu

13 Nov 2021, 13:50

As it allegedly uses the Mercedes F1 ICE, would it require a new engine every three races 😈😈😈
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

JordanMugen

13 Nov 2021, 19:51
I like the idea, but EV's aren't there yet in terms of pure performance and battery life when driven flat out.
But folks keep saying battery EVs are the future and the best thing since sliced-bread, "once you try one, you'll never go back to an ICE" etc? :) Surely Mercedes must have an EV that is up to the task of being the Formula One safety car?

For F1 trying to present the image of a sustainable eco-friendly sport, it is really not a good look that the safety car has an enormous noisy ICE, or that this ICE safety car sounds considerably better than the actual Formula One racing cars. :P