Turbocharged-engined road cars, prestige or quality or necessity?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

Turbocharged-engined road cars, prestige or quality or necessity?

A typical turbocharged engine.

A typical conventional turbocharger.

In last 10 years so many automobile manufacturers abandon the naturally-aspirated engines in favor of turbocharged (single or twin) even hybrid turbocharged engines in the road cars. I love the turbocharged engine because of prestige, quality, efficiency, good sounding and also eco-friendly. Turbocharged engines can increase power and helps boosting while utilizing turbocharged engines.

Volkswagen AG and their sub-brands cars are almost utilizing turbocharged engines while Honda clearly moving to turbocharged engines but sadly Toyota still lack of turbocharged engines in their engine line-up because Toyota still happy with naturally-aspirated engines especially MPV cars.

Porsche also produced superpower turbocharged engines like MA1.75TT/MDG.GATT 3.8-litre flat-6 twin-turbo especially for 911 GT2 RS machine.

Your opinions? No offence!

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Turbocharged-engined road cars, prestige or quality or necessity?

Car makers have gone to turbos these days for emissions and mpg, specifically CO2, because they can get away with a smaller lighter engine, and they may even see some improvement in efficiency. On gasoline engines it is rare to see a significant improvement in efficiency (bsfc) for a turbo, whereas on diesels it is usual.

There is no prestige in having an unexploded grenade in the engine compartment in my opinion, on the other hand my opinion may be colored by an expensive afternoon in a borrowed Mazda AWD turbo, which I managed to kill on public roads, at perhaps rather unwise speeds, using a tank of fuel in 180 km.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Turbocharging gives two nice features.

Lower consumption and greener emissions at low speeds and light performance. Especially when driving the NEDC test cycle. So in most countries the car will have lower taxes and excellent factory fuel consumption figures.

For the driver there is more power en especially higher torque at medium rpm. So more driving pleasure on average.

I think Toyota is on the right track. Combining NA combustion engine with an electric motor-generator gives same benefits as turbocharging. Even better efficiency at high power situations and better durability and reliability. I think we will see more hybrids and less turbo’s in future.

etusch

theriusDR3 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 13:02
https://audimediacenter-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1601970515
A typical turbocharged engine.

https://audimediacenter-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1582502382

In last 10 years so many automobile manufacturers abandon the naturally-aspirated engines in favor of turbocharged (single or twin) even hybrid turbocharged engines in the road cars. I love the turbocharged engine because of prestige, quality, efficiency, good sounding and also eco-friendly. Turbocharged engines can increase power and helps boosting while utilizing turbocharged engines.

Volkswagen AG and their sub-brands cars are almost utilizing turbocharged engines while Honda clearly moving to turbocharged engines but sadly Toyota still lack of turbocharged engines in their engine line-up because Toyota still happy with naturally-aspirated engines especially MPV cars.

Porsche also produced superpower turbocharged engines like MA1.75TT/MDG.GATT 3.8-litre flat-6 twin-turbo especially for 911 GT2 RS machine.

Your opinions? No offence!
I have a civic 1.8 i-shift i-vtec. my car is 2007 make, it's Honda data of fuel consumption is 5.5 lt/100 km. I don't know if this data from a drive at 90 km/h or 100km/h. It's engine tuned to save fuel under 3000 rpm. when I drove it cc at 113 km (it is just under 3000 rpm) taco speed (5 km/h less real speed) I get 5.2-5.3 lt. Car is almost 15 years old and i-shift and shorter gearing (6. gear also underdrive) has bad affects on consumption.
I write down all this thing for that those nee tech new cars has really low consumption and this allow car makers to use turbo. In the other hand turbo tech is also better. I remember that start of 2000s turbo cars were start to give performance from starting 2500 rpm and they were almost powerless before that.

In Turkey Toyota sell cars with 1.2 turbo engine but other engines na or hybrid. For hybrid cars it is not good/clever to use turbo from point of price/cost.
If you have an engine big enough, turbo is not that necessery and na engines sound far better.

A turbo boxer 6 porsche is not bad idea but a 4 cylinder porsche is really bad idea.
If your engine brakes its piston and need rebuild so soon it is not eco friendly. Saving environment is not come from cleaner car exhaust. Better usage of everything will bring better world. so using 5-6 or 8 pistons for a 4 cylinder engine is simply bad for the world.
do not allow car commercials to decide your idea of good and quality car. they will lie especially if it vw

noname
noname

theriusDR3 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 13:02
Sorry for off-topic.
Turbocharger looks typical, but it is racing unit (most probably GTR25, or GTR30).
Track-only design.

etusch

NL_Fer wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 19:13
Turbocharging gives two nice features.

Lower consumption and greener emissions at low speeds and light performance. Especially when driving the NEDC test cycle. So in most countries the car will have lower taxes and excellent factory fuel consumption figures.

For the driver there is more power en especially higher torque at medium rpm. So more driving pleasure on average.

I think Toyota is on the right track. Combining NA combustion engine with an electric motor-generator gives same benefits as turbocharging. Even better efficiency at high power situations and better durability and reliability. I think we will see more hybrids and less turbo’s in future.
I also think that Toyota is in right track. They are excelent car company from all aspects. But I like Mazda's approach to gasoline engines a bit more.
I drive most of the time in city and once in one or two month a long trip around 650 km. Hybrid cars comsume lesser in city drive which is best thing I can have. You don't waste energy source at braking or at downhill. For me design is also important.
It would be a dream car for me if there is a car like mazda cx5 with 2.0 skyactive X engine with Toyota's hybrid drivetrain. A bit expensive but really good fuel consumption