Mercedes W13 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Stu

Re: Mercedes W13 Speculation Thread

Ryar wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 16:10
Another concept model. There are a few places where I am seeing that there is a possibility of S-duct, fed via nose. Is this still possible?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKb5oX3XoAE ... name=large
The wording here suggests not…

3.6.1 Nose
Bodywork declared as “Nose” must:
a. LiewithinRV-CH-NOSE.
b. InanyXplane,containnomorethanasingleclosedsectionwhichmusthaveno external concave radius of curvature. Between XF= -950 and XA=0, the part of this section which is visible from above, must:
i. be a tangent continuous curve
ii. be tangent to the Z-axis at its outermost extremity
iii. have no radius of curvature smaller than 50mm at XA=0 which may reduce to a minimum radius of curvature of 20mm forward of XA=0
The provisions of this Article must be satisfied when considering both sides of the car.

3.6.3 3.6.4
c. In any Y plane, contain only a single section which, if inboard of Y=150, must be open.
d. Bearrangedsuchthat,whenviewedfromabove,nopartofRS-CH-NOSE,maybe visible.
The following will be exempt from the above:
e. Thecameras(position2)andmountingbracketsdefinedinArticle8.17.7
f. A single aperture for the purpose of driver cooling, such an aperture having a maximum surface area of 1500mm2 when measured on the untrimmed Nose and being situated forward of the section referred to in Article 13.6.1 (a)

This is the wording of the regulations.

Apologies for the poor formatting (it seems to be a C&P issue)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 16:07
Juzh wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 15:14

I think terms squeeze and crash are not to be used interchangeably in this context. So there's no side impact crash test, but some other test has been introduced this year that mercedes has failed (allegedly).
They haven't failed them. Or if they did, they've subsequently passed them.
Yeah i seen the news. I wasn't taking those reports seriously anyway.

AeroDynamic

Henri
Henri

The car is quicker or level with the w12.. elliot seems very happy 😀😊

F1Krof

Ryar wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 16:10
Another concept model. There are a few places where I am seeing that there is a possibility of S-duct, fed via nose. Is this still possible?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKb5oX3XoAE ... name=large
Design wise, I like it.

The sidepods though, no one will go for this solution. It's simply unnecessary and any angle introduced will complicate the aerodynamics. A flat, 0 degrees facing solution is much simpler and more manageable.

It's been a trend from these images, I don't know probably too much inspiration from the FIA car, I don't get why would any go for this in real life.
Wroom wroom

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... e/7898114/

We are in the speculation time of the year but according to the italian version of motorsport.com Mercedes is not going for the front pull-rod suspension like Ferrari and Mclaren for 2022. There could be just rumours but according to various sites retaining the front push rod suspension. It could be a disavantage with the new cars.

JPower
JPower

mclaren_mircea wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 23:28

We are in the speculation time of the year but according to the italian version of motorsport.com Mercedes is not going for the front pull-rod suspension like Ferrari and Mclaren for 2022. There could be just rumours but according to various sites retaining the front push rod suspension. It could be a disavantage with the new cars.
They are using a picture of the FIA model with a Mercedes star on it to base their thoughts from. That's just bad research on their part.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

JPower wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 00:22
mclaren_mircea wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 23:28

They are using a picture of the FIA model with a Mercedes star on it to base their thoughts from. That's just bad research on their part.

Im afraid of a big mess with the push rod... they never had pull rod suspension since they took Brawn Gp. If someone could explain if the push rod front suspension might be a bad or a good idea with the new regulations. Thanks :D

scheffers
scheffers

What are they doing here? stick-out things in the barge board region?

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

scheffers wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 12:06
What are they doing here? stick-out things in the barge board region?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKykg26WQAM ... name=large
That's not a bargeboard, it's the elongated outer fence of the venturi tunnel... Also, I'm pretty sure that mockup car is just a mildly modified version of this F1 2022 showcar:

scheffers
scheffers

Ah now I see, I hadn't seen these sections on the showcar. Thanks for the clarification.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

JPower wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 18:54
mclaren_mircea wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 02:19
JPower wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 00:22

Im afraid of a big mess with the push rod... they never had pull rod suspension since they took Brawn Gp. If someone could explain if the push rod front suspension might be a bad or a good idea with the new regulations. Thanks :D
You really downvoted me for that post? How petty are you?
I did not downvoted you. Im not permitted by f1technical to vote since a long time ago. Im not even allowed to comment directy... My comments firstly have to be reviewed by a moderator and only then are posted after a few hours. I cannot vote on nobody, I dont know from where do you got this?
With this ocassion I would like to ask them to remove this consideretation me because there a more than 5 years since I got this warning. (It was deserved at the time because I was not respectfull towards Ferrari, I still hate them but I wont comment on them anymore if I can get away from this moderation/warning))

Henri
Henri

https://www.formu1a.uno/f1-2022-the-new ... efficient/

Cars are 4% faster.. maybe thats worth 2tenths 🤔🤔

_cerber1

Marty_Y
Marty_Y