Mercedes-Benz Vision EQXX

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
J.A.W.

Mercedes-Benz Vision EQXX

Here's a shot of the newly released M-B EV, with extraordinary claims of aero/range figures (0.17/1000k).

The styling of this concept interests me, it looks as if the Daimler Design Lab took a few cues from a
Dodge Charger concept car from a couple of decades back, mixed with a 'well kneeded & rolled out'*
~60 year old Aston-Martin.

*Like a lump of bread dough, stretched & flattened out, to morph the shape of the baked loaf.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Greg Locock

Re: Mercedes-Benz Vision EQXX

It's just renders and simulations, no car. Try this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_C ... _-_006.jpg

J.A.W.

Dunno 'bout that, Greg..

The wee Panhard looks more like a 'compressed file' version of this mid `50s DeSoto-Ghia, styling-wise:

Greg Locock

That's impressive!

NathanE

It would be interesting to see more of the trailing edge and flow models to see how they are doing It.

Stu

This is the one with the active/adaptive aero trickery, isn’t it.

Mind you, a big rear overhang like that doesn’t exactly scream “dynamic”, I just wonder whether they have been forced to add significant boot space behind the electrical items.
I also wonder how much time it will spend in the body shop having the rear corners repaired!! 😂
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Jolle

Stu wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 11:58

Mind you, a big rear overhang like that doesn’t exactly scream “dynamic”, I just wonder whether they have been forced to add significant boot space behind the electrical items.
I also wonder how much time it will spend in the body shop having the rear corners repaired!! 😂
More to do with low drag, like the Le Mans racers before they put in chicanes. The EV-LM 😂

Stu

Jolle wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 12:15
Stu wrote:

More to do with low drag, like the Le Mans racers before they put in chicanes. The EV-LM 😂
The EQXX langheck!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

J.A.W.

Yeah, so here's a pic with the active-aero diffuser - 'bustle/caboose' - extended in the wind tunnel:

J.A.W.

Stu wrote:
...I also wonder how much time it will spend in the body shop having the rear corners repaired!! 😂
Nah, knowing the M-B way, there'd be an expectation for that 'wrap around' rear trailing-edge/lighting complex to be compliantly formed from a translucent/resilient urethane-like synthetic - mounted via shock-sensing cradling capable of accommodating any/all 'cyclist rides into back of parked vehicle event'
type of body protection safety-standard parametrics (both for person & car) - as a production-status
given.. ok, well of course, that is.. should the 'concept' ever actually make the sales showroom...

Tommy Cookers

Jolle wrote:
low 'drag' - but mechanical drag (aka 'rolling resistance') is ignored

mechanical drag will be proportionate to the (high) vehicle weight ...
and will rise with quite a lot with speed (but is still disproportionately large at normal speeds)
though the EV designer sacrifices grip to reduce mechanical drag

the car could easily measure its 'tractive effort' - and display this (along with calculated aero drag) in real time ?

Jolle

Tommy Cookers wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 11:22
Jolle wrote:
low 'drag' - but mechanical drag (aka 'rolling resistance') is ignored

mechanical drag will be proportionate to the (high) vehicle weight ...
and will rise with quite a lot with speed (but is still disproportionately large at normal speeds)
though the EV designer sacrifices grip to reduce mechanical drag

the car could easily measure its 'tractive effort' - and display this (along with calculated aero drag) in real time ?
Why do you think it’s ignored? Because they made a movable spoiler that adds a few kg? Sounds bit like trolling if you ask me. My guess is that, like with every car they design, it’s all calculated, weighed and considered.

Who knows. Maybe they have a tire pressure rise system for autobahn use or active camber adjustment.

Stu

There is a tendency with EV manufacturers to reduce tyre width to reduce mechanical friction, for the purposes of range, primarily. When you look at comparative ICE vehicles (by mass), they (pretty much) always have much larger tyres.

J.A.W.

Stu wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 13:37
There is a tendency with EV manufacturers to reduce tyre width to reduce mechanical friction, for the purposes of range, primarily. When you look at comparative ICE vehicles (by mass), they (pretty much) always have much larger tyres.
Yeah, I recall watching a promo-vid of a weighty BMW SUV EV being slalom-stability tested wherein the
engineer states he is satisfied by the road-holding control, but also glad he's not paying for the tyres..

& I cannot be alone in wondering how much the tyres utilized by Tesla - for those max-launch protocol
'drag race' stunts - differ from regular production showroom issue rubber (compound/cost & etc), too...

Andres125sx

Stu wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 13:37
There is also a tendency with ICE manufacturers to artificially increase tyre width to feed the ego of some owners, even if they will never use a 70% of that tire perfomance, even if that increases fuel consumption (and emissions), and even if that tire is a considerably more expensive than a more reasonable size for the car :P

Same could be said about ICEs (lots of >200hp cars out there wich will never accelerate under 10s in any 0-100km/h acceleration), about SUVs (wich will never leave tarmac), about motorbikes with MotoGP engines...

Production vehicles are far from reasonable engineering pieces quite frequently, too frequently probably. Reducing tire width to increase range reducing consumption is one of the few sensible decisions I´ve seen in a while in the industry :P :mrgreen: (exaggerating, but you get the idea)