2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I don't have a problem with the unlapping procedure etc... but when there's people moving, a car on a crane be lifted, and cars speeding past it should be red flagged.

MrGapes

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:39
chrisgr wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:29
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:26
It was quite obvious with the nbr of laps left there was a slim chance of a restart. Full safety with a car that needed to be recovered? A no brainer, really. There was a lot more points on the table if a bit of luck had gone the team's way. Still 6 points, onto Singapore.
Should we expext some new updates? I remember something like that mentioned in here.
I'm not certain, but I think PhilipM had mentioned updates planned for Singapore a while back, maybe it's my imagination.
yes its true he did say that... work around the front strake area... which makes sense, compared to the other teams the Mclaren strake bib area looks very undeveloped.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
I don't have a problem with the unlapping procedure etc... but when there's people moving, a car on a crane be lifted, and cars speeding past it should be red flagged.
There was no issue having the crane picking up the car under Safety Car… There was no reason to Red Flag the race because of that and it isn’t anything new. The problem this time is that using one implied finishing under yellows, which personally don’t have much of an issue with, it is anticlimactic but it is as much part of a race as having an SC in the middle of it.

Been said that, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for FIA to make a rule that if a SC car is needed in within “X” laps from the end of the race, that the race is automatically Red Flagged.

Swed3121
Swed3121

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:44
MrGapes wrote:
There was no issue having the crane picking up the car under Safety Car… There was no reason to Red Flag the race because of that and it isn’t anything new. The problem this time is that using one implied finishing under yellows, which personally don’t have much of an issue with, it is anticlimactic but it is as much part of a race as having an SC in the middle of it.

Been said that, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for FIA to make a rule that if a SC car is needed in within “X” laps from the end of the race, that the race is automatically Red Flagged.
Exactly what indycar and nascar do, if there is a safety car within the last 5 laps, it’s an immediate Red

Darth-Piekus

MrGapes wrote:
I'm of the same opinion. They did red flag so many races in the past in the last laps and I don't see why not now and then restart it on a standing start with two laps remaining. Max probably would have still finished first but why not give Leclerc a chance in the name of the sport.

Let's take the positives from this race. 6 points and the difference to Alpine is now 24. I don't see if we can get past them but there are races still.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

On the plus side: seeing the pace on a track that I thought was a disaster has lifted my spirits considerably. I REALLY hope they can keep the DF generation as high as it is but do it with less of a drag penalty. If we can do that and improve our traction of slow corners then we are where we should be with the facilities that we have currently IMHO

Darth-Piekus

Correction. The difference is 18 from Alpine. Hopefully Daniel will do a good final stint this year.

MrGapes

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:54
On the plus side: seeing the pace on a track that I thought was a disaster has lifted my spirits considerably. I REALLY hope they can keep the DF generation as high as it is but do it with less of a drag penalty. If we can do that and improve our traction of slow corners then we are where we should be with the facilities that we have currently IMHO
I agree... props to the team, the car was way better than expected on a circuit that plays to the weaknesses..

Emag
Emag

And although, I have got to admit Daniel did better than what has been the norm for him this season, I still feel like Lando had a bit of an edge on race pace as well. If he hadn't bogged down on the start, I am confident he would have pulled a bit of a gap on Daniel behind giving more options on strategy.

In the end, bad pitstops and bad reliability cost the team quite a bit of points on the battle with Alpine, so not sure if it would have made much of a difference either way.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Emag wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:06
And although, I have got to admit Daniel did better than what has been the norm for him this season, I still feel like Lando had a bit of an edge on race pace as well. If he hadn't bogged down on the start, I am confident he would have pulled a bit of a gap on Daniel behind giving more options on strategy.
In the end, bad pitstops and bad reliability cost the team quite a bit of points on the battle with Alpine, so not sure if it would have made much of a difference either way.
Surprisingly , the 2 bad pit stops and the Launch failure for lando I don’t think made any difference to the final result. The only thing we might have been able to change was not putting lando at the end, however that could have just as easily backfired if they decided to restart

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:46
MrGapes wrote:
I'm of the same opinion. They did red flag so many races in the past in the last laps and I don't see why not now and then restart it on a standing start with two laps remaining. Max probably would have still finished first but why not give Leclerc a chance in the name of the sport.

Let's take the positives from this race. 6 points and the difference to Alpine is now 24. I don't see if we can get past them but there are races still.
They have not red flagged races in the last laps “to finish under green”… Red Flags during the race are used when track repairs are needed and those repairs are estimated to take more than 10 minutes.

There was no reason or precedent to Red Flag today’s race… They shouldn’t compromise the integrity of the sport for the sake of artificial entertainment.

If they want a different outcome or they don’t want to finish under SC, a set of rules that clearly define how it will “always” be handled needs to be in place.

Ascari67
Ascari67

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:41
Darth-Piekus wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
They shouldn’t compromise the integrity of the sport for the sake of artificial entertainment.
But they do/did.

Pany
Pany

Yesss, that is the right solution pure and simple. I was thinking the same
Swed3121 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:44
MrGapes wrote:

Exactly what indycar and nascar do, if there is a safety car within the last 5 laps, it’s an immediate Red

McL-H
McL-H

Darth-Piekus wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:55
Correction. The difference is 18 from Alpine. Hopefully Daniel will do a good final stint this year.
Don’t count on it :lol:

djos

ScottR267 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:11
Poor Danny Ric….his best weekend this year and let down by reliability
So frustrating!!! He was driving extremely well too! 😩
"In downforce we trust"