2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 01:04
ScottR267 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:11
Poor Danny Ric….his best weekend this year and let down by reliability
So frustrating!!! He was driving extremely well too! 😩
It is what it is, on the one hand you have the DNF from Ricciardo, on the other the DNF from Alonso. You can't have it all.

djos

MrGapes wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:39
I don't have a problem with the unlapping procedure etc... but when there's people moving, a car on a crane be lifted, and cars speeding past it should be red flagged.
Agreed, this was just stupid!
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

djos wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 03:12
MrGapes wrote:
I don't have a problem with the unlapping procedure etc... but when there's people moving, a car on a crane be lifted, and cars speeding past it should be red flagged.
What I don’t understand is in the pits, take me to pick these cars up with a couple of jacks and move them in seconds

Sure, that wouldn’t be possible with accident damage, and it would probably require some kind of standard Jacking Points on cars, but these things do only weigh 3/4 of a ton, but cars could be removed so much quicker and easier

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:41
Darth-Piekus wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:46
MrGapes wrote:
I'm of the same opinion. They did red flag so many races in the past in the last laps and I don't see why not now and then restart it on a standing start with two laps remaining. Max probably would have still finished first but why not give Leclerc a chance in the name of the sport.

Let's take the positives from this race. 6 points and the difference to Alpine is now 24. I don't see if we can get past them but there are races still.
They have not red flagged races in the last laps “to finish under green”… Red Flags during the race are used when track repairs are needed and those repairs are estimated to take more than 10 minutes.

There was no reason or precedent to Red Flag today’s race… They shouldn’t compromise the integrity of the sport for the sake of artificial entertainment.

If they want a different outcome or they don’t want to finish under SC, a set of rules that clearly define how it will “always” be handled needs to be in place.
But in this case there were people on a narrow track and a crane, with cars still going by at some speed.

I think that it should have been Red Flagged based on the Jules Bianchi incident, but in terms of end of races being red flagged, it wsould only be artificial because it isn't a rule yet, so I think they should put a rule in place that within the 15% of the final laps that any safety car is an automatic red flag with no tyre changes but full unlapping to ensure racing continues.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ort895
ort895

Red flags are for safety, not entertainment. They followed the rules and now we must all move on.

Balalu
Balalu

mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 09:47
SmallSoldier wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

I'm of the same opinion. They did red flag so many races in the past in the last laps and I don't see why not now and then restart it on a standing start with two laps remaining. Max probably would have still finished first but why not give Leclerc a chance in the name of the sport.

Let's take the positives from this race. 6 points and the difference to Alpine is now 24. I don't see if we can get past them but there are races still.
They have not red flagged races in the last laps “to finish under green”… Red Flags during the race are used when track repairs are needed and those repairs are estimated to take more than 10 minutes.

There was no reason or precedent to Red Flag today’s race… They shouldn’t compromise the integrity of the sport for the sake of artificial entertainment.

If they want a different outcome or they don’t want to finish under SC, a set of rules that clearly define how it will “always” be handled needs to be in place.
But in this case there were people on a narrow track and a crane, with cars still going by at some speed.

I think that it should have been Red Flagged based on the Jules Bianchi incident, but in terms of end of races being red flagged, it wsould only be artificial because it isn't a rule yet, so I think they should put a rule in place that within the 15% of the final laps that any safety car is an automatic red flag with no tyre changes but full unlapping to ensure racing continues.
I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday! Simple yet effective common sense. The only question would be the race time limit if exceeded.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

PhillipM
PhillipM

MrGapes wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:40
Ground Effect wrote:
chrisgr wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:29

Should we expext some new updates? I remember something like that mentioned in here.
I'm not certain, but I think PhilipM had mentioned updates planned for Singapore a while back, maybe it's my imagination.
yes its true he did say that... work around the front strake area... which makes sense, compared to the other teams the Mclaren strake bib area looks very undeveloped.
I've been in Germany for a month so I haven't spoken to anyone, just got back, will see what I can find out this week.

Big Tea

the EDGE wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 06:25
djos wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
What I don’t understand is in the pits, take me to pick these cars up with a couple of jacks and move them in seconds

Sure, that wouldn’t be possible with accident damage, and it would probably require some kind of standard Jacking Points on cars, but these things do only weigh 3/4 of a ton, but cars could be removed so much quicker and easier
With the hybrid system HV, they do not like people touching the car. Also, it would be easy to cause lots of damage jacking it in the wrong place.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

djos wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

The whole point of a safety car is to bunch up the pack to give the ciruit crew 2 - 3 minuites between laps to do thier work. if it would have been unsafe, they would have red flagged it.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

The Bianchi insident was in the rain and in a curve. This was on a dry day on a straight.

diffuser

djos wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
The unlapping only starts after the car has been cleared.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 17:00
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The Bianchi insident was in the rain and in a curve. This was on a dry day on a straight.
For me, if there are stewards on the grass next to the track then the cars should stop. It wasn't a problem for F1 until Bianchi had a crash and I would hate to see a steward seriously injured or killed for this to change. It's just safer to stop the cars when people and cranes are about.

mwillems

ort895 wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 13:49
Red flags are for safety, not entertainment. They followed the rules and now we must all move on.
Yes... question nothing... follow rules.... Thanks.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 18:32
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:

For me, if there are stewards on the grass next to the track then the cars should stop. It wasn't a problem for F1 until Bianchi had a crash and I would hate to see a steward seriously injured or killed for this to change. It's just safer to stop the cars when people and cranes are about.
Then there would be no safety cars just red flags.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 00:33
mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 18:32
diffuser wrote:

Then there would be no safety cars just red flags.
This wasn't run off, this was meters from the track, its not the same I don't think.