2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
atanatizante

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wazari wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 00:58
Jaisonas wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 15:45
Thank you for your contributions Wazari-san! Let's hope for an even bigger Honda logo next year on the cars and overalls!
No need to thank me. I was one of many who took an underpowered, unreliable PU and transformed it into the PU it is currently with about a 10.5 kW advantage over its competitors. As far as the logo, most people know what's under the engine cover regardless what may be on it.
Hi there!
A have some questions for you had you are willing to answer ...

1. Which are the methods to determine that Honda PU has more power than other PUs? and how reliable are those methods knowing that other teams said they don't know precisely about the actual numbers and they are just "guestimate"?

2. We know that last year's fuel needed to have 5.75% bio-components. It`s true that in Honda`s case these bio-components were just ethanol hence it was no power loss for this year?

3. Just a "guestimate" thought: since last year Honda`s MGU-H was the most efficient one for it has the greatest percentage of transforming (indirectly) fuel into electric energy when needed in Q3 and in the race both for overtaking and defending. Hence the ERS clipping on the straights is retarded compared to the others ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

1. How come RB18 is lowering on the straights (like W12 did last year) knowing that this trick was banned for this year?

2. How come RB18 is the most stable car in absorbing the bumps on the track and riding unsettled over the kerbs? We just see that in Austin on the start-finish line and on the S1 sweeping turns ...

This video describes the suspension system for this year:

Jesus

djos

atanatizante wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 09:54
1. How come RB18 is lowering on the straights (like W12 did last year) knowing that this trick was banned for this year?

2. How come RB18 is the most stable car in absorbing the bumps on the track and riding unsettled over the kerbs? We just see that in Austin on the start-finish line and on the S1 sweeping turns ...
Dropping the ride height down a straight wasn’t banned, just certain suspension systems were. You can still use 2 physical springs in the same damper unit.

viewtopic.php?t=30714

"In downforce we trust"

etusch

atanatizante

djos wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 10:03
atanatizante wrote:

Dropping the ride height down a straight wasn’t banned, just certain suspension systems were. You can still use 2 physical springs in the same damper unit.

viewtopic.php?t=30714

ok, thanx!

How about this theory:

It is speculated that since Baku, when they started to ride the car with a little bit of rake, the gained some advantages such as:
- no or minimum bottoming/porpoising
- better car ride over the bumps and kerbs due to a longer suspension travel
- increase DF generated by the diffuser and a slightly decrease DF generated by the Venturi tunnels, but when added it was a bigger DF overall
- they could lower the rear wing AoA hence increase the top speed, despite the fact that the drag was increasing due to the rake
Last edited by atanatizante on 26 Oct 2022, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus

djos

Just to clarify, aside from inerters, helper springs or dampers mounted somewhere in the sidepods and hydraulically operated have also been outlawed.

I’m pretty sure that the system shown by Kyle is legal as it’s not a “remote” spring.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

atanatizante wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:04
djos wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 10:03
atanatizante wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=30714
ok, thanx!

How about this theory:

I haven’t seen that video yet, however Driver 61 does mention some teams are using “spring stacking” in his video on dual rate springs. He just doesn’t explain it in as much detail as Kyle does.
Last edited by djos on 26 Oct 2022, 11:37, edited 3 times in total.
"In downforce we trust"

atanatizante

djos wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:08
Just to clarify, aside from inerters, helper springs or dampers mounted somewhere in the sidepods and hydraulically operated have also been outlawed.

I’m pretty sure that the system shown by Kyle is legal as it’s not a “remote” spring.
Do you think that the suspension (or whatever they call) system trick was one of the thing that W13 missed this year?

And I've added to the above post some speculations regarding the car's rake they are riding right now...
Jesus

djos

atanatizante wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:35
djos wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:08

Do you think that the suspension (or whatever they call) system trick was one of the thing that W13 missed this year?
I do. I just watched the second D61 video you posted.

I think he and scarbs are mostly right, however both of them have overlooked observations from others (including several drivers) who have started “He drops his tail and flies past you,” (Seb Vettel talking about Max).

Imo that can only be done with a dual spring system like the one Kyle demonstrated.

Now I’m not an engineer, I’m just putting out my theory based on the current rule set. Dual spring heave systems are a not new, they’ve been around for a long time in Motorsport.

I just think many teams failed to realise the benefits of using a small amount of rake combined with a dual rate spring system.
"In downforce we trust"

chrisc90

I would have thought the dual spring stuff would have been swiftly copied or implemented by other teams. It’s not a huge innovative or costly thing to produce

djos

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 12:12
I would have thought the dual spring stuff would have been swiftly copied or implemented by other teams. It’s not a huge innovative or costly thing to produce
The dual rate springs do require more space and most likely adjusted mounting points etc. for the rear of the car this is a new gear box casing and I imagine the front of the car would also require costly modifications.

I believe that RedBull moved to push rod rear and pull rod front suspension as it’s easier to implement a dual rate heave spring system with This layout. It’s also better for aerodynamics in a Venturi tunnel car.

Pre cost cap it likely wouldn’t have been and issue, now it is. Personally I’m not complaining, teams that get it right should be rewarded with championships.
"In downforce we trust"

rogazilla
rogazilla

In my opinion, rb18 can run the suspensions they have because they don’t need to run the car at a specific height to the ground like others. It just doesn’t seem as sensitive to ride height change in RB18 and that allow them to have a bigger setup window and more compliant suspension setup.

djos

rogazilla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 13:00
In my opinion, rb18 can run the suspensions they have because they don’t need to run the car at a specific height to the ground like others. It just doesn’t seem as sensitive to ride height change in RB18 and that allow them to have a bigger setup window and more compliant suspension setup.
Imo their Compliant suspension is a result of a dual rate setup. If they merely ran softer suspension than other teams, they’d be porpoising like crazy.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Why does the Alpha Tauri not have the same speed on the straights? They have the same suspension and PU.

etusch

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 15:36
Why does the Alpha Tauri not have the same speed on the straights? They have the same suspension and PU.
Why not gearbox but suspension ? Does it affect more ?