2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

taperoo2k wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:13

Ferrari didn't need to do that, they should have settled for the points in 5th, not try and get an extra point. I've never known Ferrari to be this bad on strategy. Pit stops are never low risk, so many things can go wrong.
Any strategist should be able to assume their drive can execute a stop without issue. And 99.9% of the time, Leclerc is able to do that.

He didn't, for a fault that was is own.

JPower
JPower

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:02
JPower wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:52
Asking a driver to come into the pits for a stop is low risk.
It's low risk with a 30 second gap, but Charles actually lost the place to Fernando, no, and had to race hard to get it back? Seems like a risky rather than low risk call, especially when the driver himself was not keen to pit for FL attempt.
The race to get back to 5th was high risk. Calling him in a for a pitstop?

No, don't think so. That's driver error.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Juzh wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:10
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:02
like till lap 3 ...Leclerc was right behind Max ...but as always some sh*t has to happen something wrong with breaks and he had to pit. This rarely happens with Max . let him start from 20th or 1st any sh*t ever happend that always helps him. i rarely remember any incident that not helping him or not destroying his opponent.
There was debris in silverstone that took him out of contention. Otherwise when you start last just about any unusual thing will benefit you in most cases, especially safety cars.
i get that but ...

i put in 2 examples

1. Grand finale last season ..lewis crusing to 8th title , Max was nowhere near ..we know what happen.
2. Silverstone .. leclerc overtook sainz 12 laps to go with 6sec lead , no max or perez to challange him ..but no ocon stopped Ferrari screwed him sainz won.

if you are getting my point....if max is down in the dumps ..always something happen that benifits him. If his rivals are winning always something happens that destroyes them and indirectly helps him.

you put him on 1st to 20th anywhere ...more then offer the race spans out smooth and helping him. i don't know what im talking but ...im really amazed.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Ferrari need to forgot wcc wdc. Now I understand how Alonso bring close fight to rb in 2010 2012 with worst car. They need some one like Alonso to challenge Rb.

I don't even think they will win in 2023 and beyond

Neuron
Neuron

Car is good. Drivers are very good. Management is sh*t.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:31
Ferrari need to forgot wcc wdc. Now I understand how Alonso bring close fight to rb in 2010 2012 with worst car. They need some one like Alonso to challenge Rb.

I don't even think they will win in 2023 and beyond
not getting you are critical of team or drivers.

drivers are doing their job , its the team that cant get it Right.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Binotto already talking about 2023.

Hilarious

Leclerc's main pit limiter sensor was busted.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferra ... /10359739/

Andi76
Andi76

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:41

Hilarious

To be honest - i don't know if its really hillarious. Maybe its the right thing to do. Ferrari has zero chance now to win any title and it does not matter if Ferrari will be 2nd or 3rd in the WCC. Concentratinh the efforts on 2023 probably is smarter than trying to win something you do not have any chance for. Of course this would be controversial and disappointing for the fans, but it would also be a reasonable move i think.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Andi76 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:47
Xyz22 wrote:

Hilarious

To be honest - i don't know if its really hillarious. Maybe its the right thing to do. Ferrari has zero chance now to win any title and it does not matter if Ferrari will be 2nd or 3rd in the WCC. Concentratinh the efforts on 2023 probably is smarter than trying to win something you do not have any chance for. Of course this would be controversial and disappointing for the fans, but it would also be a reasonable move i think.
This team will never win. There is just too much incompetence.
Also if Ferraril will be behind by a significative margin in the next race it means they were heavily impacted by the new TD, highlighting 0 political power and being incapable of reacting with upgrades just like 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Andi76
Andi76

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:53
Andi76 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:47
Xyz22 wrote:

Hilarious

This team will never win. There is just too much incompetence.
Also if Ferraril will be behind by a significative margin in the next race it means they were heavily impacted by the new TD, highlighting 0 political power and being incapable of reacting with upgrades just like 2017, 2018 and 2019.
I agree that its the new TD that heavily impacts Ferrari if they will be behind by a significant margin. But at the moment, i hardly doubt it. Ferrari was far behind RB in qualifying, but still as far ahead of the others teams as usual. So it was not like Ferrari suddenly was slower. RB suddenly was much faster. The temperatures were also low, something Ferrari had always problem with in 2022. But we will see what theory is right in Zandvort.

I completely disagree with your first statement. 2 years ago Ferrari was a midfield-team. Within 2 years they had the fastest car. One cannot deny they made a huge step forward, numbers don't lie. Of course they need to improve in many areas, like strategy and organisation of race weekends. But bringing a team to the highest standards in F1 takes time. Mercedes needed 4 years. Red Bull 5 years, Renault 4 years and McLaren in the early 90's even 6 years. Even Jean Todt/Ross Brawn/Rory Byrne/Michael Schumacher were not able to do this overnight. At the end of the day Ferrari made a big step forward in the last two years and technically they are already at the top, together with Red Bull. They cannot be incompetent obviously. Imcompetence isn't something that makes this possible. And two years are not enough to bring a midfieldteam to the top. No one ever did this in F1. But the next step has to be done. Strengthening the Strategy Departement and Organisation at race weekends is needed. Procedures and disciplines have to be introduced. But this needs some time. Time will tell if Ferrari is able to do that. But two things are for sure - they are not incompetent. Incompetence does not build a car as fast as the F1-75. And they improved and made a big step forward - numbers clearly prove that. Everything else is the last, infamous "10 percent" that a championship-winning team needs.

Finally i need to add that Ferraris situation reminds me of 1996, even if Ferrari today is even more sucessfull. Everyone called for changes and people to get fired. They wanted Jean Todts head on a plate...what would have happened if Todt wouldn't have been given the time necessary to properly rebuild Ferrari? Todays situation is very similar. And as in 1996 - Ferrari just needs time. Like every other team in F1 history did. No has ever been able to rebuild a team technically, organisationally and mentally(what also is a huge part of sucess) in 2 years only.

f1316
f1316

The most worrying thing about today’s race was the pace - they talked about being better on race pace than quali but that didn’t at all seem to be the case. The championships are gone but winning some of the remaining races - and ending the season on, say, 7 or 8 wins from 22 - would still represent upward progress. But this now feels a bit like 2013; I wouldn’t be surprised if Max wins all the remaining races based on today.

Hopefully it’s a circuit specific gap and we’ll see something different in the coming races (although especially worried about Monza which would be the one to win). More than anything I would want to see learning from mistakes and focusing on next year - it’s ok to finish 2nd this year (progress from 3rd last) if it means coming back stronger next year.

JPower
JPower

Andi76 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 20:18

I agree that its the new TD that heavily impacts Ferrari if they will be behind by a significant margin. But at the moment, i hardly doubt it. Ferrari was far behind RB in qualifying, but still as far ahead of the others teams as usual. So it was not like Ferrari suddenly was slower. RB suddenly was much faster. The temperatures were also low, something Ferrari had always problem with in 2022. But we will see what theory is right in Zandvort.

I completely disagree with your first statement. 2 years ago Ferrari was a midfield-team. Within 2 years they had the fastest car. One cannot deny they made a huge step forward, numbers don't lie. Of course they need to improve in many areas, like strategy and organisation of race weekends. But bringing a team to the highest standards in F1 takes time. Mercedes needed 4 years. Red Bull 5 years, Renault 4 years and McLaren in the early 90's even 6 years. Even Jean Todt/Ross Brawn/Rory Byrne/Michael Schumacher were not able to do this overnight. At the end of the day Ferrari made a big step forward in the last two years and technically they are already at the top, together with Red Bull. They cannot be incompetent obviously. Imcompetence isn't something that makes this possible. And two years are not enough to bring a midfieldteam to the top. No one ever did this in F1. But the next step has to be done. Strengthening the Strategy Departement and Organisation at race weekends is needed. Procedures and disciplines have to be introduced. But this needs some time. Time will tell if Ferrari is able to do that. But two things are for sure - they are not incompetent. Incompetence does not build a car as fast as the F1-75. And they improved and made a big step forward - numbers clearly prove that. Everything else is the last, infamous "10 percent" that a championship-winning team needs.

Finally i need to add that Ferraris situation reminds me of 1996, even if Ferrari today is even more sucessfull. Everyone called for changes and people to get fired. They wanted Jean Todts head on a plate...what would have happened if Todt wouldn't have been given the time necessary to properly rebuild Ferrari? Todays situation is very similar. And as in 1996 - Ferrari just needs time. Like every other team in F1 history did. No has ever been able to rebuild a team technically, organisationally and mentally(what also is a huge part of sucess) in 2 years only.
Wow, a genuine rational assessment. A breath of fresh air.

ringo

More and more Mercedes are racing with Ferrari.
They have fallen from front runner to leader of the midfield.

Overall i do think Ferrari are on an upward trend.
Binnotto is putting the pieces together little by little.

The car in my eyes was never the best one. and it has played out this way once RB sorted out some quirks.
But it has good foundation. Binnotto can work on operations now and a less draggy car for next year.

Redbull are in a different league now.
But it gives Ferrari room to focus on itself and galvanize each department. They can also study Redbull's car and operations to truly challenge enxt year.
For Sure!!

pipoloko
pipoloko

Neuron wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:36
Car is good. Drivers are very good. Management is sh*t.
I disagree with such a statement
-car
the car "was good" at the beginning of the year but is not close to the " best" right now and MB is almost there
while MB recover a lot ,and RB have done good progress, Ferrari's progress was not, is not coping with the challenge
the best proof of that is despite MB complaining about their own car, Ferrari and MB in this race with 2 talented drivers ,with no issues were only 2 sec adrift
-Drivers
CL is a talented driver, no doubt , but he still has room to improve in his psychological development , he still can not keep his emotions under control and cries like a baby, and make some mistakes (as Max did)
-team
i know many people will not agree with my point of view but is my sorry
there are 2 teams
-race team
-design team
race team has made mistakes? yes they did
are they the cause why the Drivers chamionship is gone ? no
I have my reserves if Ferrari is fighting to be 2nd in constructors
will be tight with MB the car is not evolving as quick as necessary and MB got back on track
then in IMO the problem is at design is not fast enough to develop
despite what MB people said ; GR was only 2 seconds behinfd Sainz and even if Russel is better than SAI it has been demonstrated that the car and driver are quite even.
The point Today was that Max was in another planet, I said before RB is sandbagging on top of that consider that SPA is Maxs' "playing patio" he started 7.5 secs behind Perez and finished 17 secs ahead or almost 25 sec after 44 laps
he was on another planet!!!!!
Despite the speed/handling issues Ferrari clearly chose to be on the edge with the engine not looking at 2022, looking at 2023 and beyond and solving the reliability issue for 2023
it was a decision !!!!
like it or not
both championships are gone let's see if Ferrari can fight for P2

LM10
LM10

The F1-75 has been the best car for the majority of the season. For some reason Ferrari have brought only little upgrades until now while RedBull keep upgrading the car almost every race. They once again had numerous new stuff for Spa and obviously made a huge step this time. Is this their 3rd or 4th new engine cover?
Ferrari announced a new rear wing and a new beam wing. The rear wing was tested in FP2 only and the beam wing was not even on the car. So basically it was the car from 3 races ago. I wonder what the lack of upgrades is, but that surely is one of the explanations of them losing ground.

Another big question which still needs to be answered is if the TD hit them. As their pace relative to other cars somewhat stayed the same, I don't think so for the moment. RedBull's big improvement made Ferrari look like having gone backwards.