2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

ringo wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 02:46
I still stand by Alpine and their choice of words.
Piastri is their driver by contract. His azz belongs to Alpine.
He is the one who wants to jump out of contract. Maybe Mclaren can pay Alpine for him.
When more news comes out, all of you defending Piastri and Webber will realize how correct Alpine was.
Mate this isn’t a friendly Neighbourhood game of tiddlywinks, this is F1!
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

djos wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 06:55
ringo wrote:
He is the one who wants to jump out of contract. Maybe Mclaren can pay Alpine for him.
When more news comes out, all of you defending Piastri and Webber will realize how correct Alpine was.
Which Rookie driver is going to get confirmed before current drivers and world champion? You all are betraying your own logic with supporting this kid's handlers incompetence. It would have been way to early to give that kid a seat. New regulations, and Ocon is ahead on points. Why would Alpine decide to give Piastri either Ocon or Alonso's seat, and the drivers are currently developing the car. It's critical a time to be comparing ocon to Alonso and deciding which one should have to go so early.
Alpine has a contract with Piastri, and I am sure he signed onto it and benefited up to this point.
For Sure!!

djos

ringo wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 07:21
djos wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 06:55
ringo wrote:
Which Rookie driver is going to get confirmed before current drivers and world champion? You all are betraying your own logic with supporting this kid's handlers incompetence. It would have been way to early to give that kid a seat. New regulations, and Ocon is ahead on points. Why would Alpine decide to give Piastri either Ocon or Alonso's seat, and the drivers are currently developing the car. It's critical a time to be comparing ocon to Alonso and deciding which one should have to go so early.
Alpine has a contract with Piastri, and I am sure he signed onto it and benefited up to this point.
Sorry, but Oscar’s management made it abundantly clear that he wouldn’t sit on the sidelines for more than 1 season.

Yet Alpine tried to get Alonso to sign on for 1 more year and did nothing concrete to give Oscar the promised F1 drive. Then they tried to guilt trip him to drive for them, despite their option to sign him having lapsed.

It’s just incompetence!
Last edited by djos on 04 Aug 2022, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

PinkFloydPulse

Ringo… mate… 31.07. is gone… what contract does Alpine have with Piastri?
Team Fernando!

Big Tea

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 09:20
Hear somewhere last night that this is the date for contracts to get to FIA. It may not be the same as having a contract between a team and driver, particularly if he is not a registered-to-race driver

I know no more about it, it was a podcast
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

Otmar Szafnauer:
We offered [Alonso] a one-plus-one deal. And we discussed with Fernando that, ‘look, if next year at this time you’re performing at the same level, of course we will take you’. And that could have carried on.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/alpines- ... he-wanted/

So Piastri most certainly did not have a guaranteed Alpine drive, not even for 2024 (and by this wording not even for 2025 or beyond either!). That 2024 Alpine drive was conditional on Alonso starting to perform worse. No wonder Piastri signed for McLaren instead!

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

In retrospect signing Ocon to such a long deal was a mistake.
Wouldn't be trying to juggle Alonso and Piastri around if they didn't lock up Ocon for so long.
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Who knows?
I doubt Alpine would announce him if his contract categorically and beyond a shadow of a doubt stated that he was completely free to go post 31/7.

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 04:31
diffuser wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 03:18
It would be major incompetence if he is allowed to leave.
It would. Alpine should have confirmed Piastri as their race driver for 2023 months ago.
If they lose him, it's cause they should have written a better contract.

diffuser

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 12:30
Wouldn't be trying to juggle Alonso and Piastri around if they didn't lock up Ocon for so long.
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Who knows?
I doubt Alpine would announce him if his contract categorically and beyond a shadow of a doubt stated that he was completely free to go post 31/7.
Yeah, I agree that sounds more likely and the kid is just acting out.

marvin78
marvin78

They wanted to eat the cake and have it. That does not work in real life.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Who knows?
Why it was a mistake? Ocon is performing very well. So looking back on this decision from Alpine it was definitely not a mistake.

Ferrari has Leclerc.
Mercedes has Russel (not a race winner).
RedBull has Verstappen.
McLaren has Norris (not a race winner).
Alpine has Ocon (race winner).

Of course everybody would say that Ocon is not Norris/Russel/Leclerc Material. But I think if you put him in the same car with these guys he would not be that far away.

ringo

People underestimate Ocon.
He performs. He doesnt crash or make mistakes. He runs the strategy and gets his points.

I hear you all on Piastris urge to get a seat. But how does he win if he does get a seat from Alpine now?
Okay he was waiting till 2025 or whatever. But its 2022 and he got a seat now. So why decline a seat?
It's the first time i have ever seen this. How does he win by declining a good seat?
And how does Alpine lose when as i say before drivers are a dime a dozen?
Even Shumacher can go to Alpine. So mant choices. Guanyu, Shumacher, Riciardo, Latifi, Gasly, Hulkenberg, Grosjean, Vandorne, and I am sure there are some really good young guys that i dont know.
Alpine doesnt lose anything. They just have a very high demand seat they can sell to the highest bidder.
For Sure!!

Jolle
Jolle

I just hope for Piastri isn’t being used by Alonso/Webber/Briatore in their possible feud with Rossi/Otmar or else this well could be a career that will never happen.

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

diffuser wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 13:37
Peter Ian Staker wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Who knows?
Yeah, I agree that sounds more likely and the kid is just acting out.
I don't think he is acting out.His response has been way too calculated for that.
Him and his agent believe whatever clause got activated after 31/7 gives them the right to get out of the contract, Alpine believe otherwise.
Now we wait for the F1 lawyers to sort this out.

djos

Logic dictates Oscar already has a seat, it just hasn’t been announced.

Oscar may not have driven in F1, however his record in the junior series is unparalleled. He’s won every one of the last 3 series he’s competed in, not only that, he’s done it in his rookie year in each series.

The closest anyone else has come to this feat are George and Charles both winning F3 and F2 championships back to back.
"In downforce we trust"