2022 FIM MotoGP

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2022 FIM MotoGP

johnny comelately wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 00:30
In 2023 the authoritarians will enforce the MotoGP’s minimum pressures of 1.9 bar (27.55psi) for front slicks and 1.7 bar (24.65psi) for rears by standardised sensors.
If anybody can give a rational explanation of necessity I would be interested, why make life more difficult?
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... FY,6JSJ0,1
It is quite simple, every tire for every vehicle must work within manufacturer specs.

Moreover, tires are a very sensible part, as lower pressures improve grip, but going too low can cause an accident. If a minimum pressure is endorsed in F1 for safety reasons, imagine how important it is on bikes for riders safety

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Andres125sx wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 12:06
johnny comelately wrote:
In 2023 the authoritarians will enforce the MotoGP’s minimum pressures of 1.9 bar (27.55psi) for front slicks and 1.7 bar (24.65psi) for rears by standardised sensors.
If anybody can give a rational explanation of necessity I would be interested, why make life more difficult?
It is quite simple, every tire for every vehicle must work within manufacturer specs.

Moreover, tires are a very sensible part, as lower pressures improve grip, but going too low can cause an accident. If a minimum pressure is endorsed in F1 for safety reasons, imagine how important it is on bikes for riders safety
"The three engineers from different manufacturers with whom I’ve discussed this subject – who share more than 60 years in the paddock between them – say that enforcing the 1.9 bar front-tyre minimum will result in more crashes, less overtaking and big changes to who’s fast and who’s not"

aleks_ader

Irrelevant. Drive with grip accordingly.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Thailand FP1
1. 93 take a bow on a bike that did not look settled M/S
2. 20 M/S
3. 43 S/M
All seem to be running low rear pressures by the look of T12 slowmo, but it didnt get too hot being overcast

Andres125sx

johnny comelately wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 12:11
Andres125sx wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 12:06
johnny comelately wrote:

"The three engineers from different manufacturers with whom I’ve discussed this subject – who share more than 60 years in the paddock between them – say that enforcing the 1.9 bar front-tyre minimum will result in more crashes, less overtaking and big changes to who’s fast and who’s not"
Now ensuring everybody race under same rules is bad for the sport? Are you defending cheating? :o

It´s better to reduce grip due to too high pressure, wich rider perfectly knows and can react accordingly, than deflating a tire instantly because you went too low. That IS a safety problem, not reduced grip because pressure went too high

Engineers defend their interests, I bet those who are againt this are those who were manipulating their devices to race with lower pressures than allowed

Cuky

johnny comelately wrote:
It is simple: Michelin provides the minimum pressures all the time, but are not strictly enforced. They also have pressure sensors on wheels, but not standardized. Then it all blew up in Jerez when, due to high temperatures, everyone was expected to struggle with high tire temperatures and consequently pressures and because of that struggle with performance. Then, Bagnaia managed to push for the whole race and some teams leaked out tire pressure data that is usually not shared with public, which shown that Bagnaia and few others were lower on pressure than what Michelin provided for the whole race. Literally for 0 laps above minimum pressure. There was an outrage then because lover pressure means bigger contact patch which means better grip. FIM said it will look into ways to enforce the minimum tire pressures, and now they found the way: standardized tire pressure sensor fitted on all bikes and penalties if not adhered to prescribed minimums.

And I don understand what is so "authoritarian" about expecting all competitors to have to obey the same rules???

On lighter note:
Buddh International Circuit is after 10 years returning to the world scene. After F1 stopped going there at the end of 2013 now MotoGP has confirmed it's addition to 2023 calendar
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/09/ ... 023/438681

etusch

Cuky wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 09:09

And I don understand what is so "authoritarian" about expecting all competitors to have to obey the same rules???

First part of your comment ( which I deleted when quoting ) was very interesting. I didn't know that. If tyre rules are made only for getting some standardisaiton, it is ok. And if some team breach min pressure rule it must be some penalty for it.
But
What they do it finding right setting and pressure in the limit of rules, this is what makes difference, talent, experience etc.

My main reason to quote your comment is to emphasise something about the part visible in the quote.
When a rule made it is same for everyone and looks very fair. But if that rule save someones powerfull side and hits someone from his weak side, it may not be that fair. What I want to say is that same rule for everyone is not directly be fair just because it is same for everyone.

Cuky

Provisional calendar for 2023 season has been revealed.

Season will start on March 26th in Portugal and will end on November 26th in Valencia. Traditional season opener in Qatar has been moved to penultimate race slot as track is getting some extensive modifications to its facilities to be ready for F1 races there. Should return to start of the season slot in 2024 though. After few years of postponing Finland has fallen off completely. Also, what surprised me a bit, is that Aragon has been dropped as well. New races are Kazakhstan and India.

etusch wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:13
What they do it finding right setting and pressure in the limit of rules, this is what makes difference, talent, experience etc.
Teams are still free to change tire pressure to what suits their bike the best. The only thing is there is a minimum under which they can't go, but everything above that minimum is free to explore and use.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

FP2
1. 5
2. 63
3. 89

Some were running higher rear pressures, Marc looked to have more rake and the bike looked more settled.
A combined session some with fuel and most had gone to H/H or M/H.

IMHO chaps, quite poor arguments (Not accounts and naive explanations) re the tyre pressure "rules", but each to their own.
And I am not getting dragged into an ad nauseum argument but this is how I see it:
Riders want to go fastest and win AND they dont like falling off so they set up the tyre to achieve those two aims. The engineers want to help them achieve that AND the clock verifies all that.
Stability, consistency and performance under power and braking.
Then if someone sour grapes and decides to use some arbitary rule hitherto unenforced to spoil the party, that is what happened.
Then the powers that be who all of a sudden woke up and were naively persuaded to "enforce" that useless rule makes them authoritarian. End of story.

rscsr

etusch wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:13
Cuky wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 09:09

First part of your comment ( which I deleted when quoting ) was very interesting. I didn't know that. If tyre rules are made only for getting some standardisaiton, it is ok. And if some team breach min pressure rule it must be some penalty for it.
But

My main reason to quote your comment is to emphasise something about the part visible in the quote.
When a rule made it is same for everyone and looks very fair. But if that rule save someones powerfull side and hits someone from his weak side, it may not be that fair. What I want to say is that same rule for everyone is not directly be fair just because it is same for everyone.
tbh there were unusually many tyre problems this season. I.e. Bastianini in Austria and Rins in Japan, both destroyed one of their rims on the curbs. Which seems to indicate that they are using very low pressures. Too low to be save it seems. Imagine if someone looses their front tyre pressure on the straight. At over 300kph. Maybe in the first lap, where everyone is very close anyway.
So imho, if the tyre supplier specifies a save minimum pressure, than the teams shouldn't be allowed to just ignore it.

etusch

I think there can be something to control or penalise when this happen. For example if a team decided to race with tyres as low pressure as possible, and it is 25 psi for example, they set tyres to possible lowest but someone else goes 24 with same reason and won the race, then it is not fair.
Putting there a limit without any sanction is not make sense to me.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Just to change the subject, y'all might find this informative
Why MotoGP™ bikes are so much faster now than in 2019 💨 | Tech Talk with Simon Crafar

etusch

Marc Márquez: "I'm very happy because we achieved our goal, which was to improve between career and career." Today I went out and I felt better than Japan and Japan felt better than Aragon so step by step we are getting better. We've been competitive with new and used tires and the progression is in sight. I used a lot of energy today and there’s a chance I’ll have a little slump over the weekend, but we’ll see. Rain may help but I also feel dry competitive. """It was interesting to see the schedule today, I’m excited for new races, especially India, which is an important place for all manufacturers, especially Honda, and I’m looking forward to seeing all MotoGP enthusiasts there."

Cuky

I thought I saw this when I watched FP2 in the morning so I went to check now on VideoPass and FQ20 pit crew has a funny way of informing Fabio who's following him on the track. They put a twitter icon with riders number on the pit board :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Yes, Fabio and Luca had a big disagreement on track with Fabio not wanting Luca to shadow him (like the Mir/ Marquez incidents), probably wanted him to tweet off :wink: