Alpine A522 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Postmoe

Re: Alpine A522 Speculation Thread

Blackout wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 08:06
This Rossi comment is intriguing: "The engine has been redesigned entirely," Rossi said. "The split turbo is one element. We will [also] make it more compact, which enables us to move it closer to the driver and therefore the centre of gravity of the car."

A split-turbo à la Mercedes or Honda would, on the contrary, will push the engine back, because when you mount the engine on the monocoque, the compressor and its air ducts and the oil tank will obviously need to be inserted in a recess in the rear bulkhead of the monocoque, and a split-turbo layout will need a bigger recess than a classic Renault layout like in the picture. And that bigger recess will take volume from the fuel tank, so you'll need a virtually bigger fuel tank, and since teams generally prefer to lengthen their fuel tank instead of widening them or making them taller, that would push the engine rearwards...
IMO that's the only advantage of the Renault layout over the split one, the front of the V6 is less crowded and more plain, so it can be pushed forward. That's what Mclaren's technical director said about it in 2018.

But the good thing is that the mandatory weight distribution is more rear-biased this year. So pushing the engine a little back shouldn't be a big problem.

Unless 
- they have inserted the compressor inside the V, like Honda in 2015-2017...
- made the fuel tank wider
- made the battery (which also need its own recess under the fuel tank) smaller to regain some lost volume...

The Renault ES didnt change much shape/size-wise between 2014 and 2018 at least. Maybe the 2022 one is smaller...

Or maybe Rossi is just talking about the turbo and its CoG. With a split turbo, the compressor will obviously be closer to the centre of the car, while the turbine will be closer to the engine and closer to the CoG of the car  :drunk:

I think the simplest interpretation is best suited:

The masses will move forward because the engine will be much more compact, split turbo or not (better packaging and thinner walls). That effectively moves the weight distribution even if you lose some centimeters in the front to accommodate the compressor.

Morteza

Another leak?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

santos
santos

I could be wrong, but judging for the image this could be the worst livery... in decades.

Herr_Koos

Interesting! Might actually be legit.

organic

To me that halo looks like it is the alternative "swooped back" design that was shown but not used for 2022. The middle pylon of this halo tapers towards the top whereas those on 2022 cars do not. Therefore it cannot be their real car; if it is their real livery (I dearly hope not) then it is on a showcar

I was under the impression that Alpine were planning on showing us a real car on the 21st so I'm inclined to believe this leak to not be real. Perhaps I am simply believing this to cope with how bad this design is :D

Frankwj

Looks very fake to me.

1. Halo looks like the original concept.
2. 3 front wing profiles although possible is just not something an F1 team will do.
3. The front wing endplate uses the original draft of the 2022 regulations which mandated the sloped design, this has since been removed for sponsor visibility reasons.

RedNEO

It’s fake guys..

Jolle
Jolle

Because of the cost cap and working from home restrictions, the designer only had their kids glitterpencils…

RedNEO

🚨 I just asked and from the Alpine team they tell me that the photo that has been circulating on Twitter for a few minutes is NOT the real car or its colors.

That it is the same and they try to mislead, but from the team they completely deny it to me.

(and luckily)

Ferdecarreras
Ferdecarreras

What are the forum thoughts about this? They are speculating about the car not having sidepods at all. I don't trust them... Is this even allowed?

RZS10

That was posted as a joke by scarbs on twitter ..........

Ferdecarreras
Ferdecarreras

RZS10 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:38
That was posted as a joke by scarbs on twitter ..........
And that's what you can come to expect from pesky spanish media. Thanks

Pandamasque

The car in the "leak" is an early FOM model, I think. And gosh, I thought mixing pink with the French tricolour was challenging, but whoever did it also found it necessary to add bright green! :D

AtlasZX

Pandamasque wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:01
The car in the "leak" is an early FOM model, I think. And gosh, I thought mixing pink with the French tricolour was challenging, but whoever did it also found it necessary to add bright green! :D

Castrol become a kinda of a title sponsor since Jeddah

Zynerji

AtlasZX wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:28
Pandamasque wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:01
https://estaticos-cdn.sport.es/clip/d41 ... ault_0.jpg

Castrol become a kinda of a title sponsor since Jeddah
What an awful color mixture.

Time for "Alpine" to become a tri-color logo. And leave the rest of the car to sponsor color schemes.