Worse Case Scenario: only 1 almighty F1 Team can win the title this year?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AeroDynamic

Worse Case Scenario: only 1 almighty F1 Team can win the title this year?

Bar favourite drivers / teams - which team mate battles would make your top 3 team choices that would give us the BEST ENTERTAINMENT for the title fight this season?

This is assuming team mates get equal enough treatment, no matter how realistic.

1. Alpine
2. Ferrari
3. McLaren

1. I feel Fernando would be explosive again if in the fight for a title, and I think Ocon is rebellious in a feisty way. I think they both showed they can fight eachother and it would be entertaining to watch them turn from friends to enemies :lol:

2. These two will likely give us the best chance of a title fight down to the wire with very similar performance levels, although I must admit, I have a sneaky feeling Leclerc will come back very strong for Sainz and surprise people. But assuming that don’t happen, these two would keep us on the edge of our seats all season long. I can see them getting annoyed with each other but I think they’re both pretty mature and would handle it all very well.

3. This all depends on Ricciardo matching and getting the better of Norris. I can’t see these two being spiteful but I do think after a couple of incidents it would get really cold-bitter.

Obviously Mercedes’ is an obvious shout but I’m sure everyone will mention that so I went with these 3.

Big Tea

Re: Worse Case Scenario: only 1 almighty F1 Team can win the title this year?

I would like to see Williams pop up with a flyer. Would we see some driver swaps? Russell to Williams?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DChemTech
DChemTech

The best entertainment? If HAAS wipes the competition out with a >1 s/lap margin.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

DChemTech wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 17:47
The best entertainment? If HAAS wipes the competition out with a >1 s/lap margin.
If Haas has a secret performance design, Ferrari will wipe out the competition. The thing about being a B team is that the A team wins, not you.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 22:48
DChemTech wrote:
If Haas has a secret performance design, Ferrari will wipe out the competition. The thing about being a B team is that the A team wins, not you.
Unfortunately your correct I think, as if there is a philosophy divergence between the teams the A team will understand it, probably allow it to make the track and assess its usefulness.
If it looks like philosophy suicide then it would not have made it through the due diligence so there should be a few different approaches between A and B teams.
If Williams were to get it right from the get go, then it’s game on!

Jolle
Jolle

Scalexf1 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 14:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 22:48
DChemTech wrote:
Unfortunately your correct I think, as if there is a philosophy divergence between the teams the A team will understand it, probably allow it to make the track and assess its usefulness.
If it looks like philosophy suicide then it would not have made it through the due diligence so there should be a few different approaches between A and B teams.
If Williams were to get it right from the get go, then it’s game on!
If Williams (or Aston Martin) have found some silver bullet, I’m pretty sure it will be “leaked” to their technical partner, AMG Mercedes.
From all the F1.5 teams, McLaren is the only one that isn’t directly connected to one of the high rollers.

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

Then Alpine are are only saviour!
If Alonso gets even the slightest sniff of a championship it’s going to be really entertaining.

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

Scalexf1 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 15:09
If Alonso gets even the slightest sniff of a championship it’s going to be really entertaining.
I’m not ignoring mclaren in my thoughts, I’m just not sure they are back to a strength where they can deliver over the full season, but again, I live in hope!

Big Tea

The possibility is that one of the smaller teams will risk sailing close to the wind with one 'rule' that a larger team would not, as the change would affect them much more.
Going from super competitive to near the back of the field as a risk is a no no for a top team, but wort a shot in one of the back 4.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 15:30
The possibility is that one of the smaller teams will risk sailing close to the wind with one 'rule' that a larger team would not, as the change would affect them much more.
Going from super competitive to near the back of the field as a risk is a no no for a top team, but wort a shot in one of the back 4.
Could be, but my guess is that those teams will go for a more conservative design. The chance to go in the wrong way and end up at the back of the grid, could ruin some of them (especially it would take years to recover).

mclaren111

Scalexf1 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 15:16
Scalexf1 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 15:09
I’m not ignoring Mclaren in my thoughts, I’m just not sure they are back to a strength where they can deliver over the full season, but again, I live in hope!

Amen... Let's hope for a Brawn move...

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I really doubt this will happen. These teams are pouring money in development already starting in 2019. Computers and windtunnels are not the same like they were in 2009.

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

Your misunderstanding my posts on this subject, it’s a wishful thinking post.

JordanMugen

NL_Fer wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 17:05
I really doubt this will happen. These teams are pouring money in development already starting in 2019. Computers and windtunnels are not the same like they were in 2009.
The rules weren't even announced then? How could they develop the cars, when the FIA was still busy in the wind tunnel designing the rules?

It would be amusing to see McLaren with a dominant car! :)

Perhaps Ferrari too, but it's big question mark over Ferrari and Alpine bringing all-new power units that go straight into being frozen. Quite the potential for that to go horribly wrong on the power unit front. No question that Ferrari and perhaps Alpine can build good chassis, but there is a big question over whether their new power units can match or beat Mercedes and Honda.

AeroDynamic

Yeah this is just a wishful thinking thread rather than prediction thread. We just wanted to discuss what would serve to give us the most entertaining team-mate battle