F1 Tempo - Telemetry comparison website updates!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1_tempo

F1 Tempo - Telemetry comparison website updates!

Hey F1 Technical! I'm quite new here so please roast me if I've broken any rules or posted this in the wrong place.

I made a website last year that some of you may have seen called F1 Tempo.
It's a simple tool for graphing and comparing telemetry from different drivers/sessions/years. Data is pulled via the FastF1 python package.

I've been busy during the offseason adding some new features, and I'm keen to get some feedback on the changes. Check out the list of changes below, have a play, and let me know what you think!
  1. Added a track map that is colour coded to indicate which driver was fastest at each point of the track
  2. The track map allows you to place a marker by clicking on the track map or telemetry graph, to make it easier to relate the telemetry to track position
  3. Added a button to automatically select the fastest laps from your driver selections, so that you don't manually need to try to find the fastest lap yourself
  4. Added tooltips for the telemetry data, so you can read off exact values for each data stream
If you want to keep up to date with new features, bug fixes etc, my twitter is f1_tempo_

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: F1 Tempo - Telemetry comparison website updates!

That's great. Nice site and easy to use. =D> 8)

Shame your post is in a part of the forum that doesn't allow voting because I'd give you an up vote for that. Great tool and it's great that you've made it so we can all use it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henry

I second @Just_a_fan’s comments. Great for comparisons between drivers or different laps for the same driver.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

bauc

This would be a great tool for the forthcoming seasons, thank you so much I love it!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Excellent work, very easy to use, the information is displayed clearly.

Thanks for sharing it!

Oehrly

I really like your website. It's nice to have an interface that's easy to use for taking a look at all that data. Nice that you're taking the time to build that page. It makes the information much more accessible.

As you asked for feedback, here are two minor recommendations:

1. Maybe just label DRS as on/off.

2. Same goes for brake data. It's not actually percentage values. But that should probably be changed in FastF1 first to be honest.

f1_tempo

Thank you all for the positive feedback!
Oehrly wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 01:11
I really like your website. It's nice to have an interface that's easy to use for taking a look at all that data. Nice that you're taking the time to build that page. It makes the information much more accessible.

As you asked for feedback, here are two minor recommendations:

1. Maybe just label DRS as on/off.

2. Same goes for brake data. It's not actually percentage values. But that should probably be changed in FastF1 first to be honest.
Thank you for the tips @Oehrly, should be an easy enough change when I have a moment. Also based on your username I take it you are the one behind FastF1. Just want to say a big thank you for all the work that you've put into it. The documentation is great, and the package is very easy to use. I've had the idea of an F1 graphing tool for a while, and of course it would not have been possible without FastF1.

Oehrly

f1_tempo wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 09:27
[...]

Thank you for the tips @Oehrly, should be an easy enough change when I have a moment. Also based on your username I take it you are the one behind FastF1. Just want to say a big thank you for all the work that you've put into it. The documentation is great, and the package is very easy to use. I've had the idea of an F1 graphing tool for a while, and of course it would not have been possible without FastF1.
You guessed correctly :D, I am the one who's developing FastF1. My original plan was to develop a website too, but then I kinda "got stuck" with doing the backend stuff with FastF1. Therefore, I'm quite happy that you're now building the F1 Tempo website.
Feel free to contact me here or on GitHub if you have feature requests, questions or whatever.

Juzh

Great work. Some suggestions in image below. Initial loading for any selection takes quite a long time, would it be possible to speed this up a bit? Subsequent selections for that session only take a few seconds, compared to 30+ for first one.
By the way, 2018 driver selection will not load. Bug? works for other years, but not 2018.

f1_tempo

Juzh wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 13:59
Great work. Some suggestions in image below. Initial loading for any selection takes quite a long time, would it be possible to speed this up a bit? Subsequent selections for that session only take a few seconds, compared to 30+ for first one.
By the way, 2018 driver selection will not load. Bug? works for other years, but not 2018.

Thanks heaps for the feedback, and sorry for the really late reply! Yes the 2018 driver selection does in fact look like a bug, I'll have a closer look. I'm working on making load times faster, essentially I just need to pre-cache all of the data but I'm still figuring out the best way to do so. I really like your suggestion about lap times in the telelmetry key, and including values from all selected laps in the tooltips shouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks once again!

powersteer
powersteer

Superb job! Is it possible to let us zoom in so that we can analyse a particular section / corner in more details?

dialtone
dialtone

It's a really cool site, used it a bunch, thanks for the work, one question from me is: is the track map made using the delta_time call? Because FastF1 says that it's not overly accurate and might be worth adding a bit of a disclaimer about that.