New plastic that's stronger than steel.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

New plastic that's stronger than steel.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/polymer-light ... al-2d-0202

I just try to add new (interesting) tech here in anticipation that it may be included in F1 in the future.
Last edited by Zynerji on 03 Feb 2022, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: New plastic that's stoinger than steel.

It would be nice to run a spell checker over the thread title. :wink:

It's an interesting idea - plastic that's "stronger than steel". Whether it would find a use in F1 will be interesting to see, but it must surely be of interest to the aerospace industry. Stuff that is strong and light is hugely important there - especially for space craft, as getting every kg of mass out of the well is horrendously expensive.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Re: New plastic that's stoinger than steel.

Zynerji wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2022, 18:56

I just try to add new (interesting) tech here in anticipation that it may be included in F1 in the future.
Nice, like to hear of these things, and hope it is good stuff, but the press have this thing about "stronger than steel and as light as plastic" because it makes a catchy headline. I have seen headlines claiming Spider silk is "five times stronger than steel" but that is in one direction etc.

Not trying to put a damper on your post( thanks for sharing), hope it is good, but 'carbon nanotubes, stronger than steel' are going to take over the world, I read it in the press :mrgreen: (I did not believe that either)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Re: New plastic that's stonger than steel.

It reads as if it could be used as an infusion resin. If this stuff could be used in vacuum bagged carbon fiber, it could be crazy strong.

Big Tea

03 Feb 2022, 22:55
It reads as if it could be used as an infusion resin. If this stuff could be used in vacuum bagged carbon fiber, it could be crazy strong.
There are 3 companies intending to supply 'inflatable modules ' to the new space station and the 'reef', so possibly it could fill or line these habitable modules.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Airshifter

I just read about this stuff after seeing it on my phone news feed earlier today. It looks like interesting stuff. But then again, they really don't go in depth enough to let you know the full properties of it either, so it could just be a headlines grab hoping to justify the research money that's been spent.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

In the article there is
" allows them to generate a two-dimensional sheet called a polyaramide. "

aramide = Kevlar. So this is sheets of cross linked Kevlar. Kevlar certainly has a spectacular strength to weight ratio.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

tok-tokkie wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2022, 12:26
In the article there is
" allows them to generate a two-dimensional sheet called a polyaramide. "

aramide = Kevlar. So this is sheets of cross linked Kevlar. Kevlar certainly has a spectacular strength to weight ratio.
Kevlar is an aramid. Not all aramids are Kevlar.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech
DChemTech

May have some interesting properties for sure. But let's not forget there's lot of plastics stronger than steel - Dyneema is just structured polyethylene and has a tensile strength ~8x higher than steel, making it very suitable for e.g. rope. Try doing the same with regular polyethylene (a.k.a. plastic bag material). But for may other purposes, it's not suitable at all. Wouldn't make dyneema plating for example.

PlatinumZealot

03 Feb 2022, 18:56

I read it. Very exciting. I will wait on the full gamut of physical properties to be unveiled. There has been so many "stronger than steel" non-metals around that are just not as versatile for wide-scale use.

It could have a higher yeild strength.. but at what elongation? What about the stiffness how much stiffer? Do we want it to be stiffer? Is the stiffness tune-able? Temperature properties is another. For engineering plastics water absorption is an issue. UV resistance. etc.

For now I see as a very exciting coating and matrix material. I am not sure it will be cheap! to use for things like laptops and consumer appliances. But very exciting. We will see more 2D polymers to come yet.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™