Haas VF-22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Haas VF-22

The lower front wing element looks flat across its span. A bit of front diffuser under the nose I'd guess.
Honda!

SiLo

AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:35
Now this is really interesting. We definitely need some higher res photos of this part of the car.
Felipe Baby!

ojir19

basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:54
AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:33
stan_french wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:27
honestly, im surprised by haas... This car has a lot of new innovations. Maybe they could be one of the dark horses of this season who could end up solidly in the midfield.
I don't know.

They have an intriguing spine exhaust.. but relative to the ferrari side pods, they have less louvres. Maybe if Ferrari's power and concept really is the way to go, the Haas might be fighting for a podium sometimes?
I do not see the innovations you claim. Distributing openings over the bodywork in every place is no innovation. This is just managing the problem and every vent is just a new problem in aero.

When speaking about innovations, "no vents" is THE innovation. If Merc, McLaren, maybe RedBull get the concept of heat management right, then we again have F1 and F1.5....this time well visible by the number of crazy venting slits in the bodywork.
We have to wait until 1st race
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

ringo

The aide pod vents are also interesting. Seems to be very big vent holes on the back of the side pods.
This car is decent. Hard to say how far up the grid these features will bring them.
It looks like a chunky car from the front view, but there is nothing to say it will be back marker car. Maybe those days are done in F1? :)
For Sure!!

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Haas had the most wind tunnel time, they didn't develop their last car for 2 years. So I think it's safe to assume this car will be fast.

basti313
basti313

ojir19 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 14:00
basti313 wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

I don't know.

They have an intriguing spine exhaust.. but relative to the ferrari side pods, they have less louvres. Maybe if Ferrari's power and concept really is the way to go, the Haas might be fighting for a podium sometimes?
I do not see the innovations you claim. Distributing openings over the bodywork in every place is no innovation. This is just managing the problem and every vent is just a new problem in aero.

When speaking about innovations, "no vents" is THE innovation. If Merc, McLaren, maybe RedBull get the concept of heat management right, then we again have F1 and F1.5....this time well visible by the number of crazy venting slits in the bodywork.
We have to wait until 1st race
So should we close this thread until then?

Of course we can go ahead an call every crooked piece on the car as innovation, game changer and podium winner.
But then one should also at some point agree on the fact that a hole in the bodywork is still a hole in the bodywork and not a race winner.

Of course we have to wait for the first raceS to see how concepts work. Like the Aston sidepods, like the high front wings, etc...
But for holes? Please....we certainly do not have to wait to say that holes are not beneficial unless you cut them in nice spots into the floor and argue with FIA about legality. A legal hole was never a good hole in F1 so far.
Don`t russel the hamster!

batmanlugter
batmanlugter

I don't think you can claim that based on what we have seen. Remember the 2005 renault?

wogx

basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 14:32
A legal hole was never a good hole in F1 so far.
F-duct? S-duct?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Partymood wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:10

To me, this looks more like a transfer of know-how with the transfer of engineers from Ferrari to Haas (Resta wasn't the only one). I'm sure they would be able to show their homework. :D
I mean the issue is if Ferrari hands you an engine and cooling package and the radiators are upright and longitudinally orientated...you're going to develop your sidepods from that because you know they found something unusual.

Sevach
Sevach

The cameras on the nose are really low, interesting car.

SiLo

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 14:57
Partymood wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:10

To me, this looks more like a transfer of know-how with the transfer of engineers from Ferrari to Haas (Resta wasn't the only one). I'm sure they would be able to show their homework. :D
I mean the issue is if Ferrari hands you an engine and cooling package and the radiators are upright and longitudinally orientated...you're going to develop your sidepods from that because you know they found something unusual.
I'm fairly certain they don't hand them radiators as well. They just give them data on cooling requirements.
Felipe Baby!

LM10
LM10

basti313 wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
stan_french wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:27
honestly, im surprised by haas... This car has a lot of new innovations. Maybe they could be one of the dark horses of this season who could end up solidly in the midfield.
I don't know.

What are you even talking about? The vents are part of the aerodynamic concept. They’re there primarily for aero purposes. It’s because those teams have chosen to do it, not because they try to solve problems.

wowgr8
wowgr8

For a car that's fairly refined everywhere else I'm surprised at how basic (and big) the sidepods are, they look like they're from the FOM model but with no big undercut

Ferrari having issues with cooling or reliability? The Alfa also has fairly plump sidepods

I know this isn't a direct comparison, but here the flat top and similar louvre usage is evident

Timtim99
Timtim99

How can Ferrari suddenly be having cooling issues when that was not the case last year. Please can you elaborate.

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 16:07
For a car that's fairly refined everywhere else I'm surprised at how basic (and big) the sidepods are, they look like they're from the FOM model but with no big undercut

Ferrari having issues with cooling or reliability? The Alfa also has fairly plump sidepods

I know this isn't a direct comparison, but here the flat top and similar louvre usage is evident
Binotto said the cooling of the PU is for one of the innovations they brought for 2022. All of the Ferrari cars carry the bulk of their cooling in the sidepods and not on the centerline like Mercedes, Honda, and most likely Renault.

All of those cars have large airboxes for that reason.
Last edited by JPower on 21 Feb 2022, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.