Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tcli
tcli

Re: Alpine A522

diffuser wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 20:40
The transalpines will be able to run
:D

diffuser

tcli wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 23:33
diffuser wrote:
Not sure what that is, think it was something lost in the translation from italian.

diffuser

Great read....

[url] https://the-race.com/formula-1/beyond-a ... s-f1-test/ /url]

Some highlights!

Permane describes the problem as a “silly” issue – “a split pipe” within the hydraulics, “which has caused a huge amount of damage, but it’s an easily fixable problem”.

Until that point, Alpine had a really solid test in terms of mileage. It felt just short of an optimistic target on day one, but still racked up more than 600 kilometres. Day two was hampered slightly by an engine sensor issue and a broken floor bracket. Otherwise, the A522 – and its brand new engine – has run “really, really well”.

Internally, there is cautious optimism. Set-up changes Thursday to Friday seemed to make the car a lot better, with the rear much calmer. Alonso was said to be “super happy” with the car prior to the problem on the final morning.

And across various elements like tyre compounds, engine modes, fuel loads and the DRS, Alpine reckons there is a big leap to make – which is why its reality isn’t as bleak as the final timing sheets suggest.

Blackout

Interesting.

Their (spec 2) cake-tin design is interesting too. It shares some features with their 2017-2018 tins, namely those airfoil-shaped holes/tubes (red arrows) that kinda disappeared since 2019.
Back then, some of the collected air bypassed the brake disk or calipers and was blown through the axle + that periferal duct, for outwash (green), while some of the brake hot air (red) was vented through the red openings for rim heating. And I suppose some of those outlets were shaped like airfoils so they do not disturb the green jet, and guide it a bit.

So this 2022 cake tin still does some rim heating. But why would it need those wing-shaped tubes? blowing air outboard is impossible now, and their brake inlet is still oversized, so there is still some 'blowing'/bypassing involved. So what is that air doing :?: :P
Maybe that bypass air used to energise the exiting hot air :?:
Original pics from @pisugasso and motorsport.com

Last edited by Blackout on 01 Mar 2022, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Is it for heating Tyre for Qualy run? then managing the tyre temperature in race

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The cross flow could help with extraction of air from the brake rotor. A bit like an R25 chimney effect.

Blackout

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 19:36
The cross flow could help with extraction of air from the brake rotor. A bit like an R25 chimney effect.
That's what I thought first, but those teardrop outlet seem to be sealed from the cross flow, either by the rim, or by the cake tin in the closed version at the centre of the image :-k

Stu

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 13:05
Is it for heating Tyre for Qualy run? then managing the tyre temperature in race
That is not allowed now, all air that goes into the cake tin has to exhaust through the inner face (and that exhaust is also regulated). This is on both front and rear wheels.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

ScrewCaptain27

diffuser wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 00:51
tcli wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 23:33
diffuser wrote:
Not sure what that is, think it was something lost in the translation from italian.
Yes, “transalpino” is indeed an Italian synonym for “French”.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Blackout

Stu wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:47
selvam_e2002 wrote:
That is not allowed now, all air that goes into the cake tin has to exhaust through the inner face (and that exhaust is also regulated). This is on both front and rear wheels.
Couldnt find the appendix that state this, but I'm aware that the brake duct air has to exit inboard now. Anyways, that picture and some tech journos suggest it's still possible to transfer some brake heat to the rim.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 07:43
Stu wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:47
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Couldnt find the appendix that state this, but I'm aware that the brake duct air has to exit inboard now. Anyways, that picture and some tech journos suggest it's still possible to transfer some brake heat to the rim.
I think you're allowed to heat the Rim, the air just has to exit on the inside.

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

Any truth in the rumours of disappointment with the new car? Article in Planetf1..( I know it’s a tabloid) but they are quoting an internal source. I thought they looked in good shape after the first test (apart from the livery)..,
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Mansell89
Mansell89

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine-fe ... ar-issues/

I really hope they aren’t in trouble- I don’t think necessarily that the car is bad- it looks more like rumours of being on the back foot with parts etc if I read between the lines correctly?

We know that they ran low power and we know a full raft of upgrades are planned in Bahrain- that will be the time to judge performance and delivery of parts i guess?

Alonsos comments were okay- he said power is improved but the bit about losing fuel performance I understand he was talking about the fuel regulation in general which has meant all teams lost performance and have been working with their fuel suppliers.

Blackout

Blackout

I wonder why the ducktape is sucked into the louvers here and in the other pics. Does this mean the internal pressure is lower in that area than the outsise, and that these louvres would sick air instead of expelling it if they were open? is that intentional and made to suck some boundary layer?