Alfa Romeo C42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Alfa Romeo C42

Interesting slots on the diffuser of the C42, I haven’t seeing them in any other car yet I believe.

Vía @LuisFeF1

vorticism

I think those may be reflection of the brake duct wing. I don't think the rules permit slots in the diffuser, or even gurney flaps.
𓄀

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

vorticism wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 22:50
I think those may be reflection of the brake duct wing. I don't think the rules permit slots in the diffuser, or even gurney flaps.
It's not reflection, u can download the hi res photo and zoom in

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

vorticism wrote:
Here is a zoom in from a picture uploaded in the previous page of this thread:

PhillipM
PhillipM

vorticism wrote:
Look at the bottom, you can see the fences kick out

vorticism

PhillipM wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 23:20
vorticism wrote:
Look at the bottom, you can see the fences kick out
The Floor-Body reference volume stipulates only continuous cross sections so this should rule out slots. The CFD guys may know better than I, perhaps they can confirm. We see scallops in the diffuser edges on various cars, because they do not produce additional cross sections, but not holes/slots. If cuts like this were allowed I'd imagine all the cars' diffusers would be much more complex already.
𓄀

Stu

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 22:39
Interesting slots on the diffuser of the C42, I haven’t seeing them in any other car yet I believe.

https://i.imgur.com/lWDAUrj.jpg

Vía @LuisFeF1
When I first saw this I thought that it looked as though the rear wheel deflector has been interlocked into the diffuser wall. Are they using what looks like a pocket as a sliding bearing?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jjn9128

They're definitely slots - and as far as my understanding goes, completely illegal. They don't conform to tangent continuous surface, they don't conform to only a single section in any x or y plane, they don't conform to a minimum convex or concave radius of 25mm, and they're taller than 65mm where the minimum radius bit doesn't apply (only for the diffuser endfence).
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

SiLo

It actually looks like a small strip protruding from the floor, almost like an odd gurney flap?
Felipe Baby!

DiogoBrand

To me it almost looks like a step but without an actual opening. Probably illegal anyways.

vorticism

jjn9128 wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 13:25
They're definitely slots - and as far as my understanding goes, completely illegal. They don't conform to tangent continuous surface, they don't conform to only a single section in any x or y plane, they don't conform to a minimum convex or concave radius of 25mm, and they're taller than 65mm where the minimum radius bit doesn't apply (only for the diffuser endfence).
Pretty sure they're both reflections. The small one is a reflection cut in half due to the matte finish body wrap (it disappears in the image below). The taller one is where the diffuser wall thickness steps down. From cored to solid CF. This wouldn't befall the minimum radius rules, but could still provide a face for these reflections.

𓄀

ringo

This picture could be evidence of a split turbo setup for the new ferrari engine.
There does not seem to be as much bulk at the back of the unit.
For Sure!!

Blackout

ringo wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 19:14
This picture could be evidence of a split turbo setup for the new ferrari engine.
There does not seem to be as much bulk at the back of the unit.
The Ferrari has always looked like that (or at least since many seasons). With the compressor located inside the V and a turbine very close to the V. So the Ferrari kinda looks like a split-turbo engine, from behind...

AeroDynamic

#AMuS

JPower
JPower

The car looks much better than it did in Spain. Bottas looks quick and confident in the car.