Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Mercedes W13

Sieper wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:46
Quite impressive how they got everything to taper, and the huge floor surface next to the rear wheels because of it. They are more or less the only team that went for as much clear floor as you can get. With Mclaren a second. The rest all went with higher sidepods carrying on longer.

Curious to see what turns out to be the most beneficial. But it is clear a lot of thought has gone into this. Except for that bunch of white wires in the front of the sidepot :D
Not wires, they are air tubes for pressure sensors, so they are thick and can't make tight bends, they are only for testing and wouldn't be on during races.

SiLo

NoDivergence wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:38
Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:20
mantikos wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:45
Its a totally flawed analysis on several levels, but the most glaring is that the position, shape, and size of sidepods was incorrect.
Feel free to fully elaborate. Be prepared for a very deep dive and be 100% certain of your aero understanding if you choose to elaborate. I don't go easy on anyone belittling my work.

If you don't elaborate, I will understand you took this statement back fully.
I mean, your Merc W13 sidepod geometry is just wrong. Everything behind the inlet is different. The amount of downwash, the amount of outwash from the floor strakes, wavy floor exit, not having the right vortex flows from the front wing, etc etc. All of these have downstream effects that you're trying to make as simple as, oh the flow hits the tire and the rear wing has less downforce now.

What angular velocity do you have the tires at in this model? And at what camber/castor/tire deformation geometry (which is a function of load)? Do you have the W13's reverse rake modeled? All kinds of small details that can impact virtually everything of conclusion that you're trying to state
I mean its fairly clear that is not Merc style at all, its just he FIA released interpretation of the rules. We don't need to add all these extra details to get a general understanding of the flows around the car either. Its nothing more than creating a decent yardstick with which to understand the concept. Not some super detailed in-depth dive at the sidepod concept of each team.
Felipe Baby!

AeroDynamic

flowViz was used on the wing today. Any comments from Aero enthusiasts?

Motörhead
Motörhead

AeroDynamic wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 01:02
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMTKSWdWYAY ... name=large
It really doesn’t matter. It’s not about the top surface. If you had a photo of the bottom, then I’m sure a few of us could elaborate. As you can see he’s taking photos of the undersurface with a UV flash or lamp.

Holm86

AeroDynamic wrote:
Just a bit surprised on how must disruption in airflow even those tiny flap supports cause.
No wonder swan neck wing mounts are worth it

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

DP_CFD wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 06:53
Hoffman900 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:52
MuseF1 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:47

I appreciate the efforts even if it isn't bang on. It's still an interesting comparison to look at. Don't see anybody else pulling their finger out and providing analysis...
I think you can appreciate the efforts in that it provides a 1000’ view of the situation, but it’s not to be read into too deeply for the reasons stated above.

This is a good article explaining how things can be wrong, even with a better model, and all the assumptions that have to be made:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/simulati ... vid-penner
I was wondering why there was an influx of people liking my article, looks like I found my answer!
It's a great article.

It shows how CFD can be useful but the traps it can have.

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:03
I personally find the brake inlets more interesting than the suspension set-up. RBR has a 50, 25, 25 split. While Merc has a 25, 25,25,25 split with the bottom outer one further subdivided. I wonder what Merc is doing with all those little subdivisions.

tinfoil hat people will say fluidic/thermal switch. :lol:
Your comment led me back to the brake ducts. They're typically an oft overlooked performance differentiator! They serve not only to manage brake temperatures, but also tire temperatures and aero wake from the tires.

Those bypasses all serve to carry out those functions.

zibby43
zibby43

dans79

This confirms the question that was asked yesterday about the louvers.

197 104 103 7

Joe7218
Joe7218

AeroDynamic wrote:
You can see quite a lot of span wise flow creating outwash on the edge of the wing near the winglet!

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

From Motorsport.com

"Porpoising - it’s the buzzword at the start of this new rules era. Effectively the cars rock or bounce up and down as the air attaches and reattached itself when they approach vmax. Like yesterday, it’s Hamilton who appears to be suffering most with it this morning. The Merc is wallowing even before the 400m board on the run to Turn 1. You can here the revs rise and fall in sync as the W13 is unsettled. Looks a touch violent. Anyone got a number for the osteopath?"
Matt Kew

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

JPBD1990 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 10:39
From Motorsport.com

"Porpoising - it’s the buzzword at the start of this new rules era. Effectively the cars rock or bounce up and down as the air attaches and reattached itself when they approach vmax. Like yesterday, it’s Hamilton who appears to be suffering most with it this morning. The Merc is wallowing even before the 400m board on the run to Turn 1. You can here the revs rise and fall in sync as the W13 is unsettled. Looks a touch violent. Anyone got a number for the osteopath?"
Matt Kew
So why Russell didn't have this?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Maybe ask Matt Kew, I just thought it was a new insight so shared it.

marcel171281
marcel171281

Jozsusz wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 10:43
JPBD1990 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 10:39
From Motorsport.com

Matt Kew
So why Russell didn't have this?
Plenty of reasons. Different aeroparts? Different suspension setup? DRS/no DRS? Change in ride height? Change in ballast weights?

AeroDynamic

Another look with more detail towards the rear packaging around the Mercedes engine

a look at the 18inch internals of the wheel hub
Motorsportphotos circuitpics.de