Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
carisi2k

Re: Red Bull RB18

The Red Bull had a little bit of porpoising today which was interesting. It wasn't anywhere as bad as others and it clearly made no difference to car performance but still interesting.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

carisi2k wrote:
09 May 2022, 01:48
The Red Bull had a little bit of porpoising today which was interesting. It wasn't anywhere as bad as others and it clearly made no difference to car performance but still interesting.
It's not like we didn't see it in Jeddah. It's just very low amplitude and dissipates quickly.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

If RB can keep putting on development parts and downforce at the current lift to drag ratio, they are in tremendous shape concept wise. It's quite an advantage to do the same speed in the corners, with much less drag.

carisi2k

AR3-GP wrote:
09 May 2022, 01:57
carisi2k wrote:
09 May 2022, 01:48
It's not like we didn't see it in Jeddah. It's just very low amplitude and dissipates quickly.
In Jeddah that was more going over bumps then porpoising. In Miami it was more pronounced and I saw Max and Sergio's head bobbing up and down significantly for the first time.

gandharva

Yes, porpoising was definitely there, especially towards the end of the race. I think RBR set up both cars on the soft side to get good traction which then led to porpoising.

continuum16

gandharva wrote:
09 May 2022, 15:11
Yes, porpoising was definitely there, especially towards the end of the race. I think RBR set up both cars on the soft side to get good traction which then led to porpoising.
Agreed; although Miami was also not exactly the pinnacle of smoothness so that didn’t help either.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Stu

I think that the big differentiator is the speed at which it starts to occur (which is a function of ride height).
Mercedes appears to start at approximately 260-270km/h; if they don’t Jack it up the car is trying to end it by 320km/h. I’m pretty certain that both drivers were having to lift towards the end of some straights at the start of the year, Imola was better (but very edgey).
Ferrari start at around 300km/h, but can still cope at 320.
RedBull were regularly running higher speeds before it has any noticeable effect, they were hitting 340km/h this weekend.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

etusch

I wonder monza race.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

etusch wrote:
10 May 2022, 08:31
I wonder monza race.
I doubt it will be an issue there. Wasn't the bouncing for the RB18 mostly caused in Miami because they softened the suspension for the very slow chicane to be able to ride the kerbs better? I don't see why they would have to soften the suspension that much for a track like Monza.

bosyber
bosyber

SirBastianVettel wrote:
10 May 2022, 08:47
etusch wrote:
I wonder monza race.
I doubt it will be an issue there. Wasn't the bouncing for the RB18 mostly caused in Miami because they softened the suspension for the very slow chicane to be able to ride the kerbs better? I don't see why they would have to soften the suspension that much for a track like Monza.
Eh, isn't the 1st corner chicane a pretty big influence on how the rest of the 1st sector goes? And when Red Bull went well there in the past it was because at least in part because their suspension allowed them to go over the curbs to allow for better corner entry and exit. Well, we'll see.

etusch

SirBastianVettel wrote:
etusch wrote:
I wonder monza race.
No I mean with that much top speed difference between redbull and Ferrari. Ferrari should use higher df to keep their acceleration.

etusch

bosyber wrote:
10 May 2022, 08:52
SirBastianVettel wrote:
etusch wrote:
I wonder monza race.
Eh, isn't the 1st corner chicane a pretty big influence on how the rest of the 1st sector goes? And when Red Bull went well there in the past it was because at least in part because their suspension allowed them to go over the curbs to allow for better corner entry and exit. Well, we'll see.
Monza's curbs was better match for Mclaren and ferrari were struggling to fight with them. Then I genious came out and shaved that curbs. They are not that big anymore ( this happened years ago ) Redbull has proportional setting advantage in anycase.

TNTHead

Another subject: I wonder how much advantage the RB18 gets pace wise because of the low drag in relation to fuel load. If the estimations of around 15% less drag than Ferrari is true it should mean that they can cover race distance with less fuel to begin with (with the same fuel efficiency). This should give a pace advantage in the first half of the race. Isn't exactly that what we were witnessing in Miami: first half of the race there was a pace advantage. It could be the medium tyres, but it could well be due to lower fuel load. Or, they can run the engine in a higher mode because of the lower drag leading to higher engine output.

Harvester
Harvester

TNTHead wrote:
10 May 2022, 12:59
Another subject: I wonder how much advantage the RB18 gets pace wise because of the low drag in relation to fuel load. If the estimations of around 15% less drag than Ferrari is true it should mean that they can cover race distance with less fuel to begin with (with the same fuel efficiency). This should give a pace advantage in the first half of the race. Isn't exactly that what we were witnessing in Miami: first half of the race there was a pace advantage. It could be the medium tyres, but it could well be due to lower fuel load. Or, they can run the engine in a higher mode because of the lower drag leading to higher engine output.
I think this may be indeed right or the car just behaves better than Ferrari with full tank. However, the biggest reason Leclerc was overtaken is that he was in trouble with his front right tyre.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Credit to user drfoxxx on Reddit.