Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Red Bull RB18

It may not be much weight, but you can still see it in the car behaviour. Choices.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Marko said in Amus that the understeer was no longer there in high fuel run in FP2. However it doesn't make sense considering that one would expect the weight distribution to shift forwards as the fuel burns off giving more of a front bias at low speed. High speed balance is dominated by the aero so fuel likely only changes the low speed behavior.

On Perez's car, he has suggested some issues with the roll bars.

zioture
zioture

jagunx51

:arrow: :arrow:

............!!!!

carisi2k

That floor is quite solid isn't it. I wonder if this was done to shut all the idiots up about Red Bull cheating because I wouldn't have thought Adrian would be happy having the whole grid see this technical masterpiece.

Andi76
Andi76

carisi2k wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 11:12
That floor is quite solid isn't it. I wonder if this was done to shut all the idiots up about Red Bull cheating because I wouldn't have thought Adrian would be happy having the whole grid see this technical masterpiece.
I do not think it was done because of that. At the end of the day its like you say - its "idiots" saying this. In F1 everybody knows that exploiting loopholes in the regulary a) has nothing to do with cheating and b) everybody does it

So no one really cares about the cheating allegations, as the fans and media who come up with this do not have a clue about F1 and the teams who come up with this arguments just make politics but do the same elsewhere on their cars.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Do we know which aero parts the car is running? They tested the old floor so are they running that?
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

marcel171281
marcel171281

Silent Storm wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 06:37
Do we know which aero parts the car is running? They tested the old floor so are they running that?
Looks like the new floor with only 1 'bargeboard' on both cars

Perez during qually:

Verstappen during qually:

Stu

That is fairly considerable change when you look at what they seemed to be trying to do with the close-coupled vanes. The volume of the tunnel/outlet really could drive the floor edge vortex very hard.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

PlatinumZealot

Nice. You can see they want to position the vortices from the strakes more inboard with the new design.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Dernie Ecclestone
Dernie Ecclestone

DutchPanther wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 19:39
The leading carbon beam (just beside the end of the heat exchanger) seems to be a pure CFRP part which, in Austria, it was reverted back to the titanium spec

https://i.imgur.com/DzIK6WM.png
I believe this may be a main reason for their sidepod shape. RB surprised earlier this year with their wide and downward sloped sidepods -- the general assumption has been that this was strictly a matter of their overall aero philosophy.

Rather it may have been more about providing an aero cover for these floor supporting spars and their diagonal stays. Thus, they can make these spars as large as they want, and include a stout tension member which has some compressive tolerance, compared to other teams which have undercut sidepods or no sidepods and must rely upon aero-optimized spindly tension members which are weak in compression. As such, RB has had a stronger floor from the start.

gandharva

Hungaroring

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

How many rear wing specs does RB have?

Stu

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 18:02
How many rear wing specs does RB have?
I think four, so far, but they tend to change the main plane only, this looks very similar to the Monaco wing.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.