Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB18

With that spring beam that is not a joint.
Would it be safey to say the effective lenght of the wishbone is reduced as the wheel moves up and down?
The movement is in bending and not rotation.
So the effective pivot point is further away from the chassis.
Very good engineering. I couldnt imagine what they are trying to do and their confidence in it not breaking from fatigue.
Makes you wonder if they even need an anti roll spring with this design.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 23:29
It doesn't look to me like this component provides any roll stiffness.

Airshifter

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 00:25
ringo wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 23:29
It doesn't look to me like this component provides any roll stiffness.
It might, depending on how the mounts are used. It's done on street cars with a roll bar influence and simple mounts, so I doubt F1 wouldn't at least think about that property if they want it included.

I really wish we could get a good view from above, and how the mounts and the beam all work together.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's held solid either end in that case and only allowed to rotate on a road car, I don't see any real contribution made to roll stiffness alone from this or the previous incarnation.

Stu

All of the talk about suspension wish lists has been moved to a new thread

“Fantasy F1 hardware & development”

Fill your boots!!

ANY driver talk WILL be deleted!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Airshifter

PhillipM wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 11:08
It's held solid either end in that case and only allowed to rotate on a road car, I don't see any real contribution made to roll stiffness alone from this or the previous incarnation.
There is no rotation involved in the rear later generation Corvette applications, and it decreases roll due to the spring displacement between the mounts and the curve created by it.

Granted they use a more traditional A arm setup, but the suspension on the RB is really more of a multi link already, and wouldn't require that type of setup.

Without seeing the mounting details, it's all really just guesses, but it seems to me making use of the potential for multiple functions would save even more weight.

Stu

Airshifter wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 04:18
PhillipM wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 11:08
There is no rotation involved in the rear later generation Corvette applications, and it decreases roll due to the spring displacement between the mounts and the curve created by it.

Granted they use a more traditional A arm setup, but the suspension on the RB is really more of a multi link already, and wouldn't require that type of setup.

Without seeing the mounting details, it's all really just guesses, but it seems to me making use of the potential for multiple functions would save even more weight.
That is how I am visualising it. If there is no central mount to two mounts (one at each side of the chassis); in single wheel bump there will be little effect from the central section; in pitch, the central section will bend in a single direction (resisting the pitch force); in roll, the central section will try to bend in two directions (form a ‘~’ shape) - effectively putting the central section into tension (resisting the roll force).
This should be possible to build effectively in carbon, pitch and roll effects could be tuned with lay-up. You also wouldn’t necessarily have any spring effect outboard of the pivot points.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

@AlbertFabrega

Showing whats behind the t-tray cover

AeroDynamic

scheffers
scheffers

I see both disc AND caliper :lol:
Nice detail shot though.

What is going on in the t-tray @rb18? looks like spring/dampener ? or maybe its just an oil-cooler with rod attachment for the t-tray frame...
Last edited by scheffers on 17 Mar 2022, 14:11, edited 3 times in total.

AeroDynamic

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 17 Mar 2022, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

The images with the caliper dangling around, held by just two connectors, really shows how incredibly light those parts are as they are confident enough to do it without fearing any issues stemming from that.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:09
Regarding the instrument in the foreground, its a leica absolute tracker. Used to measure points in space, so probably used for initial setup of suspension and such.
https://www.hexagonmi.com/products/lase ... er-systems

AeroDynamic

AeroDynamic

RB18 sidepod striped naked as well

#AMuS