McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
continuum16

Re: McLaren MCL36

Genuine question, if this has already been addressed then disregard:

The general consensus is that there is no single standout element or 'fundamental flaw' with the MCL36 causing the relative lack of performance. To me, this seems like it would be harder to make up ground relative to the competition, because there is no "low-hanging fruit" so to speak, but would this actually be the case, or is it too situational to tell?
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

vorticism

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 20:20
vorticism wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 19:29
daren_p wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 15:40
Maybe I'm not properly understanding you either but the gap your talking about in the middle above the t-tray on the McLaren, as SmallSoldier is trying to point out is blocked off on the RB, with them having a round keel shape above the t-tray.
Right but ask yourself where that air goes on the RB.
I believe I may not be explaining myself well enough… The space that McLaren uses to divert air on top of the tunnels is the space that Red Bull uses for the keel… They don’t use “more” of the T-Tray volume than McLaren for it… In addition, the area between the most inward part of the Tunnel and the first strake in the MCL36 is larger than the one in the RB18, which is what ultimately feeds air into the Tunnel

Illustration of what I've been saying. RB diverts central air mass laterally (green) under the floor regardless of strake placement (strakes are aft of the bib/t-tray), McL divert same air over the top of their t-tray, which leads above their floor (blue). Yellow indicates the air mass below the strakes, always present even at zero ride height. You're making a point about what % of flow under the front floor makes it through to the tunnel waist and diffuser; I'm just talking about how the areas of the front floor are divided, in front view. Ultimately that mass under the nose is going somewhere, on the McL it's going up, on the RB its going sideways.

Last edited by vorticism on 01 Apr 2022, 22:46, edited 4 times in total.
𓄀

diffuser

continuum16 wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 20:52

The general consensus is that there is no single standout element or 'fundamental flaw' with the MCL36 causing the relative lack of performance. To me, this seems like it would be harder to make up ground relative to the competition, because there is no "low-hanging fruit" so to speak, but would this actually be the case, or is it too situational to tell?
Normally, Iwould agree with you. With the change in regs this year, everything is a low hanging fruit. You just never know who's branch will bear more Fruit.

McLaren's biggest challenge is Aero time. The rules implemented this year on allocation of aero, based on how they finished last year, 4 of the 7 teams ahead of them in constructors have more aero time.

DiogoBrand

diffuser wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 21:25
continuum16 wrote:

Normally, Iwould agree with you. With the change in regs this year, everything is a low hanging fruit. You just never know who's branch will bear more Fruit.

McLaren's biggest challenge is Aero time. The rules implemented this year on allocation of aero, based on how they finished last year, 4 of the 7 teams ahead of them in constructors have more aero time.
Red Bull had the second least aero time in the grid, but still they seem to be doing alright.

diffuser

DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 23:03
diffuser wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 21:25
continuum16 wrote:

Red Bull had the second least aero time in the grid, but still they seem to be doing alright.
Didn't say it was impossible, just a challenge. RBR have the same challenge with Ferrari.

M840TR

shady wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 19:46
vorticism wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 20:26
Emag wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 15:45
According to the team, they are missing downforce, and quite a lot of it.
They are sending about a quarter less air under the floor than the other teams, that might have something to do with it.
I mean.. the idea is to try and have as low pressure under the car as possible (aka vacuum) probably a balance but I would think thats the point. 'less air' or higher velocity air (bernoulli)
Not a vacuum. Low pressure means high speed air. A vacuum (if you may call it that) i.e diffuser on the other end encourages more air.

shady

M840TR wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 18:24
shady wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 19:46
vorticism wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 20:26

They are sending about a quarter less air under the floor than the other teams, that might have something to do with it.
I mean.. the idea is to try and have as low pressure under the car as possible (aka vacuum) probably a balance but I would think thats the point. 'less air' or higher velocity air (bernoulli)
Not a vacuum. Low pressure means high speed air. A vacuum (if you may call it that) i.e diffuser on the other end encourages more air.
I think that is very necessarily a vacuum - the pressure differential is large enough to create suction (pull high pressure air to fill the void (nature attempting to bring the atmosphere to equilibrium))

"in engineering and applied physics on the other hand, vacuum refers to any space in which the pressure is considerably lower than atmospheric pressure."

CjC
CjC

Where does the FIA publish the report which states which teams has brought what upgrade? and can us commoners see it for example is it posted on their website? Also when does the report get published?
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

CjC wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 11:19
Where does the FIA publish the report which states which teams has brought what upgrade? and can us commoners see it for example is it posted on their website? Also when does the report get published?
Yep it's part of Race Scrutineering. It will says something like "After the race: The following cars were weighed:" nothing else unless there is a problem.

mclaren111

Not sure if this pic of rear suspension has been posted...

_cerber1

_cerber1

The rear wing looks huge.

genarro

what do we know about any updates to the car for Melbourne? or will we have to wait for the european part of the seasn to see a signicant upgrade?

_cerber1

genarro wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 08:43
what do we know about any updates to the car for Melbourne? or will we have to wait for the european part of the seasn to see a signicant upgrade?
I hope it will be the brakes, maybe something else on the little things.

M840TR

Does the floor look different?