5-lug wheels on an F1 car.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

5-lug wheels on an F1 car.

https://imgur.com/a/IhH6Qsi

I'd embed, but would need a bit or help to do so...

These event tyres shook me when I saw that they were 5 lug wheels. They must have made an adapter? Maybe put some iron brake rotors on as well?

jjn9128

Re: 5-lug wheels on an F1 car.

probably the same sort of adapter being used by kevt on twitter -turning his caterham into a track day car.

I'd imagine not carbon disks too because of operating temps.

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

Good spot! The centre-nut is still visible, so I would imagine a simple aluminium adaptor. No need for different discs, but maybe some help with pad materials to get them to work at low temperatures/speeds; carbon-carbon are notoriously temperature dependent.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Would there be any advantage in having 5 stud fitting? More stud nuts to 'push against' may be but the wheels do not actually drive by the wheel but splines at the hub. It would not gain anything would it?

As mentioned, I would think an adaptor to fit a wheel suitable for those tyres.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Airshifter

They might possibly just be dummy nuts as well to make us think it is more like a normal street wheel. Max put on his ice tires and went for a drive.....

Good catch though. When I saw the thread title I thought maybe someone had smoked a big breakfast!

JordanMugen

Speaking of wheel nuts, I didn't realise they run left-handed threads on the left side of the car. In hindsight it is an obvious safety measure, but it is a nice little touch nevertheless. :)

In the below thread folks seem to say is the opposite, but unless I am mistaken that is the left front with the mandatory FIA air deflector?
viewtopic.php?t=11503

I.e., the assumption is that normal forward rotation being in the same direction as the wheel nut thread for a self-tightening failsafe is more important, unlike the assumption in the thread of braking generating more g's and wanting to undo the wheel nuts in the opposite way to forward rotation.