Engine freeze unfreeze

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Henri
Henri

Engine freeze unfreeze

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&sourc ... cJV07u6ePg
Engines should be unfrozen because honda is not leaving after all.. you agree ?

Stu

Re: Engine freeze unfreeze

Nope, they all agreed and signed it off. Unfreezing serves no real purpose (and Honda really would walk away), the cost of continued performance development serves no great service and allows the potential of new (and existing) manufacturers being able to enter and compete from 2026.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I would agree if I was a Ferrari fan yeah

Henri
Henri

Stu wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 17:01
Nope, they all agreed and signed it off. Unfreezing serves no real purpose (and Honda really would walk away), the cost of continued performance development serves no great service and allows the potential of new (and existing) manufacturers being able to enter and compete from 2026.
If ferrari amd Mercedes have 50+ more horsepower than redbull this year you still stick to that ?

DiogoBrand

Henri wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 16:49
https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&sourc ... cJV07u6ePg
Engines should be unfrozen because honda is not leaving after all.. you agree ?
The article is a year old. It only says Honda will leave but RBR will use its technology until 2025. So I don't think anything has changed recently.

Jolle
Jolle

Engine freeze is something very clever at the end of an engine formula period. As soon as the freeze starts, the engineers can shift to the next formula without having to juggle two projects or be hired/fired just for the overlap.

Stu

Henri wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 18:21
Stu wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 17:01
If ferrari amd Mercedes have 50+ more horsepower than redbull this year you still stick to that ?
Absolutely. I have no bias, all teams/engines have the same rule-set to maximise.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.