2022 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Xero

Re: 2022 car comparison thread

WaikeCU wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 17:15
Is it me or does the Mclaren/Haas not have bargeboards compared to the other cars?

I feel the Haas has most direct flow towards the top of the rear diffuser looking how the sidepods are shaped. How steep the diffuser is, I feel like it can generate a fair amount of downforce.
McLaren have deliberately hidden their tunnel/bargeboard detail, so expect massive changes in that area when it hits the track.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

DChemTech wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 17:05
The black paint on the sidepod edges also seems to make the ML look smaller - from the top, I actually think AT and McL look a bit more similar, but different angles give different perspectives. In any case, cool to see different teams going for different approaches. So far, four different bottles, and one can of bull.
I'm not sure what do you think is hidden with the black? I've heard this multiple times but I think people assume that part of the floor is in fact body.

I think that this is the edge of the body (red line). If you look closely you can see the light blue edge under the black stripe show up on the image from the top.

As can be seen in this side photo by Karun.

JordanMugen

Great work!

It is most curious how they are all so different -- different sidepod widths, different sidepod shapes, different arrangement of the inlet strakes especially the outer-most pseudo-bargeboard. Assuming these are broadly representative of testing spec, it is interesting that their simulation tools didn't guide the teams to a similar design.

Of course, the floor is a bolt-on part that can be easily redesigned if required. Not so for the axle placement and driver position which could be a problem for whichever team gets that wrong...

DChemTech
DChemTech

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 20:14
DChemTech wrote:
The black paint on the sidepod edges also seems to make the ML look smaller - from the top, I actually think AT and McL look a bit more similar, but different angles give different perspectives. In any case, cool to see different teams going for different approaches. So far, four different bottles, and one can of bull.
I'm not sure what do you think is hidden with the black? I've heard this multiple times but I think people assume that part of the floor is in fact body.

I think that this is the edge of the body (red line). If you look closely you can see the light blue edge under the black stripe show up on the image from the top.
https://i.imgur.com/de082Tr.png

https://i.imgur.com/PYWJBv8.png
The shot by Karun doesn't have the gray band seemingly separating the floor and sidepod that is visible in the top view though

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I can't claim credit for them, they were also posted elsewhere on the forum.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

west52keep64

DChemTech wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:16
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 20:14
DChemTech wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/de082Tr.png

https://i.imgur.com/PYWJBv8.png
The shot by Karun doesn't have the gray band seemingly separating the floor and sidepod that is visible in the top view though
In the shot Karun posted, the upper surface of the floor has been covered with a piece of material that looks like carbon fibre. They appear to have done this to hide the shape of their venturi tunnels which we can only assume are different to what are shown in the 3D rendering. The black area visible on the McLaren from above is indeed the floor, and not the sidepod. The step in the floor is the venturi tunnels, this is the expected shape of the floor now, the flat floors of last year are gone.

nevill3

DChemTech wrote:

The shot from above is just a digital render with the actual physical car that Charun took photos of has a cover draped over the floor to hide something, this does tell us that we are probably looking at at least an early version of their floor with something on it they want to keep to themselves for the time being, perhaps it would give clues as to something else they are doing elsewhere?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

DChemTech wrote:
Now I get it. I always ignored the gray band as it is extremely far from the sidepods and when looking the car from other angles, you can see it's not really a painted sidepod.

I believe that is the shadow of the venturi tunnel.

JordanMugen

Hmm, are McLaren and AlphaTauri running a little bit of rake (or at least want us to think that from the renders) as opposed to the completely flat Aston Martin? E.g., the white space under the rear of the McLaren, or the raked car on the artist's impression of a Gasly burnout. :?:

I'm not filled with confidence about the Aston, I don't understand how they ended up with a solution so different to everyone else. The AMR22 seems to be running to all intents and purposes flat, unless I am mistaken?

Last edited by JordanMugen on 14 Feb 2022, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

cut/double post
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 14 Feb 2022, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

jjn9128

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 16:47
Wow, AT03 looks much smaller on the side views than on this one. It seems to be wider than Aston which I didn't think was the case.

McLaren the smallest but has little undercut. I wonder how far does the undercut go on Aston/AT.
Look at how much sidewall of the tyre is visible - the Aston has less perspective on it. The undercut on the Aston basically goes to the rear of the car. While the Alpha is more like 1/2 of the way along the SPod.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:42
Hmm, are McLaren and AlphaTauri running a little bit of rake (or at least want us to think that from the renders) as opposed to the completely flat Aston Martin? :?:

https://i.imgur.com/ywOpHle.png

I'm not filled with confidence about the Aston, I don't understand how they ended up with a solution so different to everyone else.

Unless I am mistaken, the AMR22 is running, to all intents and purposes, flat?
https://racer.com/wp-content/uploads/si ... 600&crop=1
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... -00-13.jpg
Yeah the Aston is really maximising the use of the cooling louvers to slim down elsewhere. I'm confused as to why the SPod is still wide after the louvers but presumably there's some reason for this from CFD. Preventing the top cooling flow from washing down to the side of the floor and rear drum vanes for example.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:43
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 16:47
Wow, AT03 looks much smaller on the side views than on this one. It seems to be wider than Aston which I didn't think was the case.

McLaren the smallest but has little undercut. I wonder how far does the undercut go on Aston/AT.
Look at how much sidewall of the tyre is visible - the Aston has less perspective on it. The undercut on the Aston basically goes to the rear of the car. While the Alpha is more like 1/2 of the way along the SPod.
You have a point.

Btw FIA should mandate location in XYZ coordinates and focal length of the cameras used so we can compare easier.

jjn9128

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:45
Btw FIA should mandate location in XYZ coordinates and focal length of the cameras used so we can compare easier.
:lol:
#aerogandalf

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:50
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:45
:lol:
But there is merit to it. Imagine all the cool comparison videos and content they could make :).