How large of a DF delta for a run-away season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

How large of a DF delta for a run-away season?

Would a team need 5% more (with relatively equal power)? 10%? Or is it as low as 1%?

DiogoBrand

Re: How large of a DF delta for a run-away season?

I don't know about downforce, but let's take weight for example: 795kg if I'm not mistaken is the minimum weight including the driver with an empty tank.
7,95kg (1%) would probably not be enough to give you a free championship, but 39,75kg (5%) would probably do the trick unless you screwed up badly elsewhere.

I think the same can apply for downforce.

Stu

Zynerji wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 18:13
Would a team need 5% more (with relatively equal power)? 10%? Or is it as low as 1%?
I would go 1%.
If you work out the lap-time difference as a percentage (for last year) 1% would put you out in Q2 at best. If you go back to 2014, you could be almost 3% off if you had a Mercedes PU. Engines have been far closer in the last two years.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

dans79

More downforce by itself doesn't mean anything. At what speed you generate the downforce is important, as is the associated drag you get with that extra downforce.
197 104 103 7

NL_Fer

Even with a significant downforce efficiency at the 160-250kph range. On half of the tracks the car with superior rear traction and power can win it.