Brawn hated high rake cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Henri

Brawn hated high rake cars

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/braw ... 1/8248533/

You agree with him ? Personally i agree

Just_a_fan

Re: Brawn hated high rake cars

I agree with Brawn on the high rake looking silly. Glad to see F1 cars back on their bellies again.

As for the article's author, I think he needs to check his facts:
The return of ground effect to F1 for 2022 means teams will need to run their cars much lower to the ground to maximise the downforce generated by the floor.
F1 cars have been using ground effect continually for the last 40 years or so. It never went away. :roll:

But then, he's got a degree in history, not an engineering subject. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mantaque

I don't agree with Brown at all.

I mean, it's not like the car's arse is 1 meter off the ground at the back, you can barely notice it on TV, let alone on the track in live view. Also - high rake design were not a feature of all the cars, some teams were using low rake design, as Mercedes or Aston Martin.

I wonder what else clever he will say when he will see how high off the ground Aston Martin rides with its front wing. THAT looks silly as hell and it's much more noticable, but behold - it's direct result of 2022 regulations change and ground effect in particular, so I guess FIA will change its own rules pretty soon.

Personally I think 2014-2021 cars looked fantastic.

Seanspeed

I think perceptually, the more neutral/flat attitude of the cars is gonna be countered a fair bit by having higher front wings and bubbled up rear floors. I dont think it's quite gonna be this low and sleek look he's perhaps imagining.

Juzh

While I agree about high rake looking visually less appealing compared to low rake what he should worry about it bus like lengths cars have evolved into, and the absolutely absurd weight. They capped wheelbase at 3.6m which is basically the same as cars were anyway. They should bring it down to like 3m and lower the weight along with it, but no, lets worry about some silly rake angles.

wesley123

These are open wheeled cars in an era where efficiency is increasingly important, of course they look silly, their whole premise is nonsensical if you think about it.

This is just one of those typical non-news items where writers feel the need to write about something that holds absolutely no value whatsoever.

"I think the fact that cars are going to race in a lower stance… I mean, they've looked a bit silly, these high-rake cars, sort of perched on their nose and waddling their arses in the air."

This quote is particularly interesting, because the look described is pretty much the stance of a creature ready to attack, and weren't the cars supposed to look aggressive?

Also, if we take a look at road cars, they are all designed to appear to have such a stance.

So not only is the whole looks thing regarding high-performance vehicles who's goal it is to be as fast as possible nonsensical, it's also endlessly contradicting.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

djones

It's still possible Redbull will go high rake though?

DChemTech

Juzh wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:07
While I agree about high rake looking visually less appealing compared to low rake what he should worry about it bus like lengths cars have evolved into, and the absolutely absurd weight. They capped wheelbase at 3.6m which is basically the same as cars were anyway. They should bring it down to like 3m and lower the weight along with it, but no, lets worry about some silly rake angles.
Agree, it was hardly visible, and it was nice to see different philosophies with merit.
The size of the cars is much worse.

Hoffman900

The rake looked absurd in relation to the lengths. The latter is the worst part.

toraabe

djones wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 17:50
Never. You need to seal the floor due to the tunnels. The only way is it to keep it as close as possible to the ground. With sliding skirts yes, but they are banned.

organic

toraabe wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 19:02
djones wrote:
Never. You need to seal the floor due to the tunnels. The only way is it to keep it as close as possible to the ground. With sliding skirts yes, but they are banned.
Also many of the suspension tools that were previously used to great extent are now banned which would probably make fine tuning the high rake concept even harder. All in all it seems extremely unlikely any team will try it this year

Zynerji

toraabe wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 19:02
djones wrote:
I think there may be some clever air-bending out there that can overcome that. Honestly, I'd expect any car with a mid-outwash floor could run a bit of rake.

adrianjordan

Juzh wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:07
I drive ambulances for a living, which are based on a long-wheelbase Fiat Ducato panel van.....and have almost the same footprint on the road as a 2022 spec F1 car....

They should 100% be looking at making the cars smaller!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

FrukostScones

it was an interesting technical aspect, i found the whole topic it was about (floor, sealing the diffuser etc.) very intersting and certainly found some of the implementions rather good or radical in a sence of menacing bamofo looking. F1 cars are not cars in a classic sense and if you want beautiful racing cars look somewhere else (GT cars, Le Mans).
They never really looked like a racing car should look.
blabla what a sad opinion.

and apparently Brawn loves IndyCars with Volkswagen spare wheels.... :roll:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

vorticism

Well he did bring us the double diffuser which optimized the lower rake Brawn GP01, although it was getting challenged by the high rake pullrod severely-coke-bottled RB5. After 2009 the Honda/Brawn/Merc car wasn't aero competitive against it. So is this aversion a slight at Newey? RB were the high rake team.
𓄀