2022 cars 'porpoising' at high speed

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djos

Re: 2022 cars 'porpoising' at high speed

djos wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 00:23
It just occurred to me that in some racing series they use Bump-stops to control minimum ride height. How easy would it be for F1 teams to do the same?

eg:
https://www.resuspension.com/news/post/ ... thy-level/
“NASCAR was the first to do it,” he said. “We figured out that if we took all the spring rate out of the front and set the car down on the bump stops, we would keep a lower dynamic platform, which was better for aero and everything else. When we took those cars and tried to make them more like go-karts, we figured out that they worked better because, as the car travels up and down, your camber
curves and dynamic wedge numbers change. When we can take those variables out of the equation, the car works better. The car’s lower so the center of gravity is better, and the aero becomes more stable.”

The end result functions much like a dual rate or stacked spring setup might, but this approach allows for more dramatic changes than springs can typically provide. “The problem is that the rate split that we need is often very hard to do with a typical dual rate
spring,” Enders added. “And because we need to travel these cars so far, packaging can become an issue with a stacked setup. This approach is compact and easy to tune.”
Apparently no one likes my bump-stop theory?
"In downforce we trust"

ojir19

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alfa ... g/8603114/
Teams were forced to make changes to the set-up of their cars through the first test to get the issue under control, including raising the ride height and adjusting the design of their floors.

Monchaux said he expected teams would have to set up their cars “slightly higher than we all thought at the beginning” because of the porpoising issue.

“The question will be how much higher, it is 3-5mm, or is it 20?” he said. “I hope it’s going to be five, because then the rework on the car will be less. But we’ll see.”
“I think in two or three races, nobody will speak again about bouncing,” Vasseur said.
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

JonoNic

Is there a way to use vortices (maybe from the FW) to stall (not energize) the venturi tunnels at high speed? A speed higher than that used in the fastest corner in F1? Would that stop the porpoising at high speed and keep the efficiency in the slower parts of the track?

Sent from my SM-G9910 using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

piast9
piast9

djos wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 00:16
I am pretty sure they would be illegal. Suspension may consist only of springs and dampers. I am not sure if bump-stop would be considered as a spring.

djos

piast9 wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 11:13
djos wrote:
I am pretty sure they would be illegal. Suspension may consist only of springs and dampers. I am not sure if bump-stop would be considered as a spring.
Surely they would be legal as otherwise suspension systems would have a hard stop which could result in broken suspension when hitting curbs or other large bumps.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

djos wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 11:48
piast9 wrote:
djos wrote:
Surely they would be legal as otherwise suspension systems would have a hard stop which could result in broken suspension when hitting curbs or other large bumps.
When a damper runs out of movement, doesn't it have 'rubber' final stop?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

A bump stop is very much a spring. It can have a rate greater than the weight of the car above it or be progressive.

A bump stop is not a torsion spring, but all vehicles have a way to limit bump travel and using a shock to do it is the most expensive way to do it.

vorticism

Big Tea wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 16:55

Yes, f.e. notice the red bushings here:

𓄀

djos

Big Tea wrote:
djos wrote:
piast9 wrote:

NASCAR bump stops look like this:

And are basically small progressive rate springs.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

djos wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 22:59
Big Tea wrote:
djos wrote:

https://www.resuspension.com/pub/media ... rticle.jpg

Yeh, the old model Mini with hydroelestic suspension had them. Needed then too :mrgreen:

djos

Big Tea wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 23:49
djos wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Yeh, the old model Mini with hydroelestic suspension had them. Needed then too :mrgreen:

http://www.minispares.com/image.axd?typ ... AM2764.jpg
Classic! :mrgreen:
"In downforce we trust"

henry

No matter how stiff they make the suspension the tyres are still going to flex. Many of the tools they might have used in the past to control tyre oscillations have been taken away by the new regs.

When I watch the video of the Ferrari porpoising it seems to me there is significant deflection of the tyres, particularly the rear*. It will be hard for the teams to prevent this using the suspension and so aero cunning would seem the more likely fix.

*I may be seeing what I expect to see.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Big Tea

djos wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 01:34
Big Tea wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 23:49
djos wrote:

http://www.minispares.com/image.axd?typ ... AM2764.jpg
Classic! :mrgreen:
They worked very well actually. The conical shape means that with more travel there is more material to compress and it becomes (sort of) scaled to the impact

vorticism

henry wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 10:26
No matter how stiff they make the suspension the tyres are still going to flex.
Last edited by vorticism on 03 Mar 2022, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

SiLo

The tyrewalls are still very big even though they have moved to 18inch rims. So yes there will still be significant flex and movement vertically. It's likely better to solve it aerodynamically.
Felipe Baby!