Why are these new functional coatings not used on f1 cars?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Larare
Larare

Why are these new functional coatings not used on f1 cars?

So, I know very little when it comes to aerodynamics and I saw this question years ago but with new technology/more mature CFD tools I was wondering why F1 cars still don't use functional coatings on some part of the car.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a company creating shark skin microstructure coatings which means they produce drag-reducing textured coatings as well as a nice way of applying them. Currently, they use it on turbine blades and boats and stuff but I started wondering why isn't F1 doing this?

Especially because the technique has been existing for quite a while, I'm wondering if there is an actual reason for not doing this. Was it more a question of "it could never be done" or is it completely useless? I understand that any texture on your surface generates turbulent flow you cant control but does this mean its useless for the entire car?

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: Why are these new functional coatings not used on f1 cars?

Larare wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 17:34
So, I know very little when it comes to aerodynamics and I saw this question years ago but with new technology/more mature CFD tools I was wondering why F1 cars still don't use functional coatings on some part of the car.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a company creating shark skin microstructure coatings which means they produce drag-reducing textured coatings as well as a nice way of applying them. Currently, they use it on turbine blades and boats and stuff but I started wondering why isn't F1 doing this?

Especially because the technique has been existing for quite a while, I'm wondering if there is an actual reason for not doing this. Was it more a question of "it could never be done" or is it completely useless? I understand that any texture on your surface generates turbulent flow you cant control but does this mean its useless for the entire car?
Shark skin is directional and turbine blades / ship hulls / sharks are relatively slow moving.

Also, all those applications / nature want the flow to re-attach as it passes through air / liquid. A F1 car is essentially exploding the air to manage the open wheels. On an F1 car, it would be marginal and impossible to measure, and would only apply to certain areas, and due to the speed, a shark skin texture equivalent would be too rough. Not worth pursuing $$ wise.