2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

I hope Haas can get a decent haul of points this year. Be nice to see them where they always used to be, mid-upper mid field. I just dont think Mick is enough for the job really. (same with Latifi)

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 22:34
I hope Haas can get a decent haul of points this year. Be nice to see them where they always used to be, mid-upper mid field. I just dont think Mick is enough for the job really. (same with Latifi)
Its amazing how stuff like this can bite you. I had not long posted Schumacher was not up to it and would not last in F1 and he has his big off and I am thinking S**T I wish I had not put that :mrgreen: .
Nice to see he is doing fine, and a relief.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

chrisc90 wrote:
Mick was already closing the gap to within a couple of tenths of Kevin IIRC. =D>

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 22:41
chrisc90 wrote:
Its amazing how stuff like this can bite you. I had not long posted Schumacher was not up to it and would not last in F1 and he has his big off and I am thinking S**T I wish I had not put that :mrgreen: .
The incidents aside (and I hope hes doing well) I just dont think he has the skill level to compete at this level. Look at K-Mag coming back after a whole year out and getting the results he is getting. Absolutely brilliant to say he has a lower level of fitness.
Maybe K-Mag can guide him a bit, or whether Mick has been missing that 'something' he can compare himself to in order to better. The Haas IS a strong car this year and needs a good driver to get the results.

Dont want to go off-topic too much here.

Big Tea

Dont know who would be a good shout for them now. Hulk maybe, but..
Maybe deal with Ferrari for Giovinazzi who is a steady known quantity?
There are probably all sorts of complications to change drivers mid season though unless the driver wants out

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 22:44
Big Tea wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
The incidents aside (and I hope hes doing well) I just dont think he has the skill level to compete at this level. Look at K-Mag coming back after a whole year out and getting the results he is getting. Absolutely brilliant to say he has a lower level of fitness.
Maybe K-Mag can guide him a bit, or whether Mick has been missing that 'something' he can compare himself to in order to better. The Haas IS a strong car this year and needs a good driver to get the results.

Mic was coming on OK this race. Just ballsed up one turn but his pace was decent all weekend.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sosic2121
sosic2121

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 05:06
chrisc90 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Mic was coming on OK this race. Just ballsed up one turn but his pace was decent all weekend.
I really would not blame him for that crash. That curb is nasty.
I think team should give him a fair chance, but if he fails to compete with kmag, they should find a better driver.
Just imagine if mazepin drove this year, we would think hass is not very good car!!
IMO for same reason, Williams should axe latifi, Aston stroll...

silver
silver

sosic2121 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 08:09
PlatinumZealot wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I think team should give him a fair chance, but if he fails to compete with kmag, they should find a better driver.
Just imagine if mazepin drove this year, we would think hass is not very good car!!
Young drivers need a good reference benchmark. Haas erred last year when they got both rookies, just like Toro Rosso did in the past. Gasly and Albon talented drivers, but they didn't have the measure of cars they were driving at Toro Rosso and when they were pitted against Verstappen, they struggled. Gasly since then appears to have improved, but we would only know when goes back to red bull again. So Magnussen is a decent reference for Mick to see if he can scale up to and beyond that benchmark. If he does it, then he has a future.

Big Tea

silver wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 08:31
sosic2121 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 08:09
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Young drivers need a good reference benchmark. Haas erred last year when they got both rookies, just like Toro Rosso did in the past. Gasly and Albon talented drivers, but they didn't have the measure of cars they were driving at Toro Rosso and when they were pitted against Verstappen, they struggled. Gasly since then appears to have improved, but we would only know when goes back to red bull again. So Magnussen is a decent reference for Mick to see if he can scale up to and beyond that benchmark. If he does it, then he has a future.
Yip, if you can see someone else making it go around quicker, you not only know it can go around quicker, but where you are not going quick enough. Modelling is OK to a point, but brains can not usually argue with eyes.

There are also 'tricks of the trade' that even if not passed no can be seen to exist, so as in most things I am a believer of ' watch the odd dog see what you can learn, or unlearn'. ( then unlearn the bad habits you see :mrgreen: )
Last edited by Big Tea on 29 Mar 2022, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

michl420
michl420

I think the situation with zhou was wrong handled. First, it is forbidden to take a stop (or time) penalty under safety car ( team fault). Second, for this fault the stewarts should not take a drive throug, but should just let the 5 sec stay for the next stop (or race ending) like normal.

F1doc
F1doc

michl420 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 09:30
I think the situation with zhou was wrong handled. First, it is forbidden to take a stop (or time) penalty under safety car ( team fault). Second, for this fault the stewarts should not take a drive throug, but should just let the 5 sec stay for the next stop (or race ending) like normal.
Perversely it is permitted to serve a time penalty during a VSC. sporting reg 54.3:

"In both of the above cases the driver concerned must carry out the penalty the next time he enters the pit lane and, for the avoidance of doubt, this includes any stop the driver makes whilst a VSC or safety car procedure is in use."

You can't serve a drive through during VSC or SC but can with a stop and go...my mind hurts on the logic behind this.

michl420
michl420

F1doc wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 10:12
michl420 wrote:
Perversely it is permitted to serve a time penalty during a VSC. sporting reg 54.3:

"In both of the above cases the driver concerned must carry out the penalty the next time he enters the pit lane and, for the avoidance of doubt, this includes any stop the driver makes whilst a VSC or safety car procedure is in use."

You can't serve a drive through during VSC or SC but can with a stop and go...my mind hurts on the logic behind this.
So i was clarly wrong, but I hope many of us are wiser now. :oops:

F1doc
F1doc

michl420 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 11:34
Don't worry. The rules are so confusing that there are undoubtedly loopholes.

You can find the latest version of the regs here:

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110

Big Tea

michl420 wrote:
F1doc wrote:
michl420 wrote:

You can not just come on here and admit to being wrong!! what will people think. You may start a trend. (Congratulations, good man :mrgreen: )

silver
silver

Big Tea wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 12:09
michl420 wrote:
F1doc wrote:

You can not just come on here and admit to being wrong!! what will people think. You may start a trend. (Congratulations, good man :mrgreen: )
Clearly, that's not in the DNA here. But I am sure, the good man would get institutionalized here.