Honda - New Wind Tunnel (USA)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Hoffman900

Honda - New Wind Tunnel (USA)

https://www.pmw-magazine.com/news/bodyw ... unnel.html

This is my favorite part:
Furthermore, the wind tunnel can quickly accommodate a sophisticated acoustic test system for an aeroacoustics testing mode that utilizes a powerful system of acoustic arrays, made up of microphones and cameras, to collect real-time data and precise measurements.

As Honda continues to move toward its electrified future, noise reduction is becoming an even more important element in vehicle design. Without engine and exhaust sounds, wind noise will be more noticeable inside the cabin of an electric vehicle.
Though they have it in mind for production cars, aeroacoustics can pick up on turbulent vortex shedding which may not be realized in the tunnel visually or in strain numbers, and especially not cfd.

JordanMugen

Re: Honda - New Wind Tunnel (USA)

Hoffman900 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 18:38

Furthermore, the wind tunnel can quickly accommodate a sophisticated acoustic test system for an aeroacoustics testing mode that utilizes a powerful system of acoustic arrays, made up of microphones and cameras, to collect real-time data and precise measurements.

As Honda continues to move toward its electrified future, noise reduction is becoming an even more important element in vehicle design. Without engine and exhaust sounds, wind noise will be more noticeable inside the cabin of an electric vehicle.
Though they have it in mind for production cars, aeroacoustics can pick up on turbulent vortex shedding which may not be realized in the tunnel visually or in strain numbers, and especially not cfd.
You can use beam forming to find vortices/vortex shedding, but it doesn't work very well honestly. The resolution is not that high. You are better off just using hot-wire probes, they have a much finer resolution.

Hoffman900

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 18:14
Hoffman900 wrote:

You can use beam forming to find vortices/vortex shedding, but it doesn't work very well honestly. The resolution is not that high. You are better off just using hot-wire probes, they have a much finer resolution.
Agreed.

The issue is wall dynamics as well in these tunnels. Obviously the larger the tunnel relative to the object, the better.

TNTHead

Hoffman900 wrote:

I think that would be a derived goal, as stated in automotive the significance for attenuation of airborne noise is increased because of less engine noise in electric vehicles.

Hoffman900

TNTHead wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 16:20
Hoffman900 wrote:

I think that would be a derived goal, as stated in automotive the significance for attenuation of airborne noise is increased because of less engine noise in electric vehicles.
It is, yeah, but my interest is in using it for motorsports purposes.