BEST AND WORST CIRCUITS FOR OVERTAKING

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Henri
Henri

BEST AND WORST CIRCUITS FOR OVERTAKING

Monoco is horrible

mzivtins
mzivtins

Re: BEST AND WORST CIRCUITS FOR OVERTAKING

It would be good to see these results as: average number of overtakes / drs zones

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Monaco won't change. The issue is the size of the circuit and the lack of a straight sufficient to get alongside. The cars aren't aero limited from overtaking there, they're limited by physical constraints of the layout.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Henri wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 12:35

Monoco is horrible
I have gone from loving Monaco to hoping it will be dropped. It really isn’t a race anymore, which 2018 proved when Ricciardo could win without half the engine. The cars are way too big for that track nowadays and I don’t think Saturday, as exciting as it may be, weighs up for the total borefest on Sundays anymore…

codetower

So apparently there were 77 overtakes in Bahrain this past week. So did F1 succeed in making overtaking easier?

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ahrain_gp/

silver
silver

Instead of keeping a race, Monaco should simply conduct 2 day qualifying events. One on Saturday and one on Sunday and the best of the two day result should be awarded the points. In a budget constrained year, having a procession that also causes losing a lot of car parts makes no sense.

Henri
Henri

codetower wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 14:26
So apparently there were 77 overtakes in Bahrain this past week. So did F1 succeed in making overtaking easier?

Its a good start

izzy
izzy

They were talking about dropping existing tracks for new ones weren't they, perhaps Monaco could be one!

RicerDude

There have been countless opportunities for change at Monaco over the years. The south bit of the harbour where it goes off towards the cruise terminal could be utilised for example.
What annoys me about the track is the principality clearly has the money available to make significant change to the venue to improve the racing but they’re deciding not to?
They’re risking losing it off the calendar if the racing doesn’t improve soon.

SiLo

codetower wrote:

How many were because of the safety car?
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RicerDude wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:43
There have been countless opportunities for change at Monaco over the years. The south bit of the harbour where it goes off towards the cruise terminal could be utilised for example.
What annoys me about the track is the principality clearly has the money available to make significant change to the venue to improve the racing but they’re deciding not to?
Monaco is the last circuit that will lose a race. It's seen as the blue ribbon event, the one they all want to win, the glamour, sunshine, the money.

It's all BS of course. Monaco qualifying is great - the cars flat out between the barriers. Love it. But that's it. The race isn't a race at all and is entirely pointless.

I'd give Monaco a "special status event" position, run 2 or even 4 qualifying laps with the running order mixed up to even out the circuit development / weather impact. Then give points for each run either half or quarter points depending on how many sessions are run. That way you get to keep the special "threading the needle" excitement of Monaco but without the 2 hours of dreary, mind numbing, yuckety of a race on Sunday afternoon.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

codetower

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 18:30
RicerDude wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:43
Monaco is the last circuit that will lose a race. It's seen as the blue ribbon event, the one they all want to win, the glamour, sunshine, the money.

It's all BS of course. Monaco qualifying is great - the cars flat out between the barriers. Love it. But that's it. The race isn't a race at all and is entirely pointless.

I'd give Monaco a "special status event" position, run 2 or even 4 qualifying laps with the running order mixed up to even out the circuit development / weather impact. Then give points for each run either half or quarter points depending on how many sessions are run. That way you get to keep the special "threading the needle" excitement of Monaco but without the 2 hours of dreary, mind numbing, yuckety of a race on Sunday afternoon.
I agree, there are a few circuits that are just staples, or icons. Nurburgring, Spa, Silverstone, Monza... Monaco is in there. It's not going anywhere. It's like the "It's a Small World" ride at Disney World. No matter how dated, or boring it may be, it's not going anywhere... and you still go on it every time you visit.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I won’t chance much, but maybe the tracks with a fast corner before the straight can see improvement. Because the cars can follow closer in such fast corner.

codetower

SiLo wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 17:58
codetower wrote:

How many were because of the safety car?
Good question... I haven't seen that data. another thing that I'm interested in seeing as the season progresses is if the passing locations change. So if there are more corner passes this year and fewer DRS passes. I'm not a huge fan of DRS so personally I'd like to see more natural overtaking.

SiLo

If braking distances have been increased we should see more overtaking as well. It's very difficult to do that when the braking distances were so short over the last few years.
Felipe Baby!