Idea to improve the racing

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
vorticism

Idea to improve the racing

How about instead of a safety car, there's a danger car?
𓄀

Stu

Re: Idea to improve the racing

vorticism wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 19:41
At one time blue flags weren’t ‘a thing’.

I remember James Hunt commentating very scathingly about Rene Arnoux when the turbo cars got banned last time, because he was always tail-end Charlie and wouldn’t get out of the way.

If they must have DRS, it shouldn’t be enabled on leaders cars as they lap other racers (they already get the blue flags!!)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 19:52
vorticism wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 19:41
At one time blue flags weren’t ‘a thing’.

I remember James Hunt commentating very scathingly about Rene Arnoux when the turbo cars got banned last time, because he was always tail-end Charlie and wouldn’t get out of the way.

If they must have DRS, it shouldn’t be enabled on leaders cars as they lap other racers (they already get the blue flags!!)
I would like to see DRS on a particular have a limit. For instance, you approach a car you are racing, then have one full lap of DRS. If you do not get by, you lose it. Possibly falling back 3 seconds reactivates it, so the car behind you then has a chance to have a go.

DRS trains are self perpetuating traffic jams
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

Honestly I'd rather see them ban aero devices rather than use them in combination with DRS.

As for the passing obsession of passing, A Formula 1 race should be thought of more as a time trial with other cars present, rather than a game of leap frog. I know there are many television aficionados here, but really lets have some moderation and fewer Mario Kart power ups.

Random thought, since I'm on the topic of scripting races: what if something like quali rules existed during the race? i.e. you try to post fastest laps and if you do that gives you a blue flag to the next car, or maybe several cars. Nullifies the drafting issues.
𓄀

Big Tea

vorticism wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 22:26
Honestly I'd rather see them ban aero devices rather than use them in combination with DRS.

As for the passing obsession of passing, A Formula 1 race should be thought of more as a time trial with other cars present, rather than a game of leap frog. I know there are many television aficionados here, but really lets have some moderation and fewer Mario Kart power ups.

Random thought, since I'm on the topic of scripting races: what if something like quali rules existed during the race? i.e. you try to post fastest laps and if you do that gives you a blue flag to the next car, or maybe several cars. Nullifies the drafting issues.
I feel it the other way around. Time is not relevant, it is racing against other drivers and cars. With no things such as 'instant pass' blue flags, DRS etc a race can be won by the best driver. Some drivers are better overtaking than others or defending better than others, or even using lapped cars to pass the car you are racing.
I am not advocating blocking or anything such, but if you watch racing from Maybe the 70's it was not always the fastest car that won. (often was though :mrgreen: )

Billzilla
Billzilla

I'd rather see the track surrounded by powerful water sprinklers, so the track can be made wet randomly. :)

Zynerji

I like unlimited DRS, and then change from blue flags when 3 corners ahead of the leader to black flags when 3 corners behind, and award a point to the leader for retiring that driver.

Big balls and Player Killer scoring. Win, win!

Andres125sx

Zynerji wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 02:30
I like unlimited DRS, and then change from blue flags when 3 corners ahead of the leader to black flags when 3 corners behind, and award a point to the leader for retiring that driver.

That would be a nice way to increase domination from the top team even further. I don´t think that will make any good to the competition

I´ve never liked DRS as it´s providing an advantage wich depends on the perfomance of each PU/car. Some get a huge advantage, some don´t, depending on the PU and aero efficiency of both the leader car and chaser. That´s not fair

I´d rather go into this new aero regulations deeper, reducing wings and increasing ground effects further, so they can race wheel to wheel easier and let the best car/driver do its job

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 08:54
Zynerji wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 02:30

That would be a nice way to increase domination from the top team even further. I don´t think that will make any good to the competition

I´ve never liked DRS as it´s providing an advantage wich depends on the perfomance of each PU/car. Some get a huge advantage, some don´t, depending on the PU and aero efficiency of both the leader car and chaser. That´s not fair

I´d rather go into this new aero regulations deeper, reducing wings and increasing ground effects further, so they can race wheel to wheel easier and let the best car/driver do its job
Staying in front is a skill too. No unfair blocking etc, but it would make racing far more exciting.

vorticism

How about a turbo boost (a boost boost) switch that is located on the outside of the car, on the far side of the floor, that the driver must lean his arm outside of the cockpit for and actuate with a whip.

If that's no good, then how about DRS troughs. No active aero, you just lose floor downforce by straddling it.

𓄀

vorticism

In addition to DRS I would like to see a return of the DRS front wing, the F-duct, shift lever, fiddle brake, and clutch pedal, as well as an FIA supplied dual axis steering rack. This is supposed to be a driver's series after all, Netflix tells me.
𓄀