Various drivers title design

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zanewiller

Various drivers title design

It is intriguing that Russell is going the time sheets now he is driving a Merc. Shows the distinction the best vehicle makes. From the rear of the field to the front.

I figure they ought to have a genuine drivers title, where the drivers names are made appear out of nowhere toward the beginning of the period to figure out which vehicle they drive consistently. That way all drivers drive all vehicles. Groups put $ into a pool to pay for drivers. Drivers then, at that point, get compensated in view of their completion in the title. That way multi week Hamilton is driving a Hass and the following week a Ferrari. All drivers then have equivalent possibility winning. Great drivers would take advantage of lesser vehicles yet improve generally. We would likewise have newbies driving a Merc at the front with champions in center pack vehicles testing.

This would be undeniably more intriguing than the typical Hamilton, Bottas, Max dashing we are seeing. There would be compelling reason need to do the fake 'switch matrix' thoughts to shake things up and make it fascinating. Hamilton would qualify further back in a Williams and afterward in the race truly challenge his direction up. While new kids on the block at the front would in any case battle and slide back.
Zane Willer CEO of HobbyBaseball. I fell in love with baseball from a very young age. I have memories of playing my first minor league baseball game when I was 7 years old.

Just_a_fan

Re: Various drivers title design

The idea of each driver driving each car has an appeal. It would need to also take in account the "race-ability" of the various circuits - being in a Williams at Monaco is going to have a very different effect on the driver's ability to improve in the race than it would at, say, Canada.

Ensuring that the driver / car allocations are truly random would also be important. Imagine the outcry if a given driver got the best car for each given circuit, for example.

A way around this would be to have a "spec race" in place of the sprint race - grid places drawn from a hat, car number drawn for a hat. 20 laps, off you go. Now that would be fun.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 11:47

A way around this would be to have a "spec race" in place of the sprint race - grid places drawn from a hat, car number drawn for a hat. 20 laps, off you go. Now that would be fun.
Yeah that would be well worth a watch, but there's no money in that, and I would also say a lot of drivers wouldn't be bothered to try 100% and risk themselves for something that possibly doesn't contribute to the championship.

Doing anything at random, just shouldn't be involved in F1. Like grid spots, driving certain cars etc. If there were 20 races, with 20 drivers, it means each driver would do 2 races in each car. If you got the Redbull in Austria and Monaco, the Mercedes in Brazil and Abu Dhabi, you could easily win 4 races. If you those cars the other way round, you would be lucky to get 4 podiums. So even witht the driver changing, its just not going to be 'fair'. Swapping drivers around in my opinion is a ridiculous idea and has no place in any motorsport.

people should just watch a spec series if you want it to be fairer.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Hoffman900

Indy Car, NASCAR, NHRA Funny Car, etc are all pseudo spec series and there have been dynastys there. Scott Dixon (6x), Jimmy Johnson in NASCAR (5x), and John Force (21x). If you look at World of Outlaws sprint cars Steve Kinser (20x) and Danny Schotz (10x).

The best drivers get in the best cars and no matter what the rule set, the same people will win year in / year out as long as they are in their prime years.

Or look at non-equipment sports; Tom Brady, Serena Williams, Federer / Nadal / Djokivic, prime Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, etc.

I have been around a lot of amateur spec racing and it’s the same there. Only like three drivers in most of those classes have championships and are multi-time, with a few one offs here or there.