2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

DGP123 wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 17:32
search wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 11:36
All in all it was a good race from Perez, I think.
It wasn't that good. Perez didn't beat Leclerc, nor Verstappen for that matter. Once in the lead, Perez was unable to extend the margin to take a victory.

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:37
Give Charles the car and a semi-decent team and he eats the whole field for breakfast, Master!
He didn't though. Charles would be well placed to carefully consider Red Bull Racing's contract offer for 2025 (if one exists) instead of extending with Scuderia Ferrari (unless he has already extended for some reason).

Agree. I don’t understand how when Perez suddenly gets a podium, which any driver in that car should, it’s seen as him performing well and doing excellent. He was crap. Poor Q, got mugged at the end, like last week, and well off the pace of Max. Lucky Hamilton got a puncture, otherwise, I doubt a podium would have been achieved.

As for Leclerc. It’s known that Audi will target him. I don’t see him extending at Ferrari, if 24’ & 25’, sees us witnessing Max pick up two more easy titles. He will be off, just like Alonso & Vettel.
Binotto is a sainz guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

search

DGP123 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 18:25
Lucky Hamilton got a puncture, otherwise, I doubt a podium would have been achieved.
still having to run the mediums (and given the timing of the SC later on), I doubt Hamilton would have been able to make it on only one stop, even without the puncture.

TFSA

avantman wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 18:18
I looked at those photos few times, it's not the same corner. This shithole of a track looks the same everywhere, I can understand why you didn't spot the difference , it's really easy to get confused. Otherwise, I agree with the rest.
Having these guidelines issued by the FIA a while ago, it's not even worth a discussion, full blame on Russell.
Thanks for the correction. Not gonna defend myself here, i really should have spotted that though. 😑 Thanks for catching my mistake.

My point still stands though. Piastri gave Hamilton wide berth. He was clearly aware he was there. That's good racing from both Piastri and Hamilton. Russell just forgot to look in his mirrors.

Bill
Bill

ferrari seem to have a decent car if they dont open it up to cool it.merc has gone too aggressive but sacrificed power the honda redbull duo has the right balance.the internal aero of the car are important and they get rarely talked about.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Honestly had it not been for the scs it probably would've been a dull race. This track is like baku where it's reliant on scs and unnatural drama to produce a good race

KimiRai
KimiRai

Oil was spilled on the inside part of turn 1 before the race

Bisonas wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 14:45
It came to my attention now, that oil had been spilled on the inside line of t1, from a classic car carring around Hamilton on the parade lap. All the oil was spilled on the left hand side.
SAINZ was furious about it after the race, suggesting that oil and not just the dirty track played a role on t1 incidents.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1041406/1 ... tart-chaos

Sieper

dialtone wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 18:30
DGP123 wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 17:32

It wasn't that good. Perez didn't beat Leclerc, nor Verstappen for that matter. Once in the lead, Perez was unable to extend the margin to take a victory.

He didn't though. Charles would be well placed to carefully consider Red Bull Racing's contract offer for 2025 (if one exists) instead of extending with Scuderia Ferrari (unless he has already extended for some reason).

Agree. I don’t understand how when Perez suddenly gets a podium, which any driver in that car should, it’s seen as him performing well and doing excellent. He was crap. Poor Q, got mugged at the end, like last week, and well off the pace of Max. Lucky Hamilton got a puncture, otherwise, I doubt a podium would have been achieved.

As for Leclerc. It’s known that Audi will target him. I don’t see him extending at Ferrari, if 24’ & 25’, sees us witnessing Max pick up two more easy titles. He will be off, just like Alonso & Vettel.
Binotto is a sainz guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody is a Sainz guy. Sainz is quite good, solid, tenacious, can be graceful but he is not a Leclerc and nobody thinks so, not even Binotto. He is just a great driver to have next to Leclerc.

Sieper

TFSA wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 19:47
avantman wrote:
I looked at those photos few times, it's not the same corner. This shithole of a track looks the same everywhere, I can understand why you didn't spot the difference , it's really easy to get confused. Otherwise, I agree with the rest.
Having these guidelines issued by the FIA a while ago, it's not even worth a discussion, full blame on Russell.
Thanks for the correction. Not gonna defend myself here, i really should have spotted that though. 😑 Thanks for catching my mistake.

My point still stands though. Piastri gave Hamilton wide berth. He was clearly aware he was there. That's good racing from both Piastri and Hamilton. Russell just forgot to look in his mirrors.
I don’t get Russell. He has now said that a few times when he was in an incident. But he is too good not to be aware of his surroundings.

Scorpaguy

Reading the first reports after FP1 and then watching the race...I have to say Toto was right. Pretty darn entertaining autosport...albeit the SC's played a major role. Still better than many of the snoozefests from real tracks (COTA for 1).

Farnborough
Farnborough

Sieper wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 21:22
TFSA wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 19:47
avantman wrote:

I don’t get Russell. He has now said that a few times when he was in an incident. But he is too good not to be aware of his surroundings.
I agree with this, feel it's disingenuous on his part and just doesn't fit with his role of driver's representative either.

If he wants us to believe that his driving during a race is product of a part myopic, part always surprised by an approach by another driver he knew full well was reaching him fast, then he's doing a good job of promoting that as his current level of skill.

He's absolutely not that unskilled and shouldn't be reliant on that to offer mitigation. Surely he'd like to appear in a better light than this? Or he must think outside observers are somehow lacking in critical knowledge.

It's not good enough for a driver with championship aspiration, needs to grow some maturity and stop behavior like a naughty schoolboy in this elevated company.

mkay
mkay

cplchanb wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 20:14
Honestly had it not been for the scs it probably would've been a dull race. This track is like baku where it's reliant on scs and unnatural drama to produce a good race
Agreed. This feels like a Baku 2.0 without the charm and history.

Since FOM is promoting/hosting themselves, I imagine Vegas' place in the calendar is safe which is a shame.

DGP123
DGP123

mkay wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:00
Since FOM is promoting/hosting themselves, I imagine Vegas' place in the calendar is safe which is a shame.
10 year deal worth $1billion. It’s place is safe.

I think as far as street tracks go, it’s turned out quite good. Singapore is probably still the benchmark, and a true all round test of skill and endurance, but LV is superior to Baku, Monaco & Saudi Arabia.

basti313
basti313

DGP123 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:25
mkay wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:00
10 year deal worth $1billion. It’s place is safe.

I think as far as street tracks go, it’s turned out quite good. Singapore is probably still the benchmark, and a true all round test of skill and endurance, but LV is superior to Baku, Monaco & Saudi Arabia.
Agreed. But the interesting factor is...all street tracks are better than Monaco. Just because they have a straight. So the big question is...when does Monaco get a straight?
Don`t russel the hamster!

chrisc90

I have a couple questions....

How different would the race have been, action wise, if there was no safety car interventions?

How different would it have been if we didnt have some cars out of position such as Alonso, Sainz, Lewis all needing to pit very early on because of damage?

Would the track, and its layout, be unique in the way the race played out? I mean if we had a similar opening 5 laps at silverstone, and then a second SC midway just after a round of pitstops (within a few laps) would that race have similar action happening?

I'm not 100% sold on this track just yet, I think the long straight is a bit artificial for creating overtakes as lets face it, there was only a handful of overtakes elsewhere on track from what we seen on the live TV. There isnt any other real action spots.

See what happens next year I guess and see if it was just a 1-off with being a new track that nobody had full grips with

Sieper

I think (v)sc are a given here somthat will always bunch them up. There is the powerful slipstream too so some close racing is almost guaranteed. I like the DRS is not as powerful as in Baku where it is a bit ridiculous (first the tow and then the drs) but I guess that is a charm in it’s own way. I hope we won’t get too much of these city tracks but I enjoyed this race.