Forbidden Racetracks

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vorticism

Forbidden Racetracks

There are many reasons why a track wouldn't work, but should that really stop us from not discussing it? Maybe don't answer that. Anyway...

In light of the new Las Vegas rectangle course, I offer an alternative not far from the slot machines. The Hoover Dam GP, a mix of Monaco and Monza. ~8 mi long.

Hats off to Holus for inspiring this thread (he's often PMing reviews of my posts).
π“„€

Scorpaguy

Re: Forbidden Racetracks

Wow:

1. Do they make gearing that high?
2. I would certainly pay to the see the dozens of DRS passes the "straight" would provide.
3. I am assuming all of the teams would veto this...too long, too hot, not "normal", etc.
4. No stands...make it all free and folks watch from the roadside/hillside ala WRC...Liberty media says, "Nope!"

Of course none of this will happen until F1 has to reinvent itself...they still have venues, teams, and A-listers willing to foot the bills (keeping real racing on life support). Eventually, F1 will become passΓ© and the money will dry up. Then you will see F1 do what NASCAR is trying to do now...eg, the equivalent of dropping the bore-fest 1.5 ovals and mixing it track-wise and car-wise up to garner interest and relevance. Until then, expect to see the unholy, behemoth windtunnel spawn circumnavigate tracks with only DRS induced passing.

Zynerji

I'd like to see Back Branch Rd in 17815 USA in a GP course. That road is unbelievably crazy! (I may have a few dozen first-hand experiences in my TT against my brothers 350z...😏)

We imported it into Bobs track builder for rfactor years ago.

Outside of that would be something in Pigeon Forge TN.

vorticism

Scorpaguy wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2022, 18:56
2. I would certainly pay to the see the dozens of DRS passes the "straight" would provide.
Yeah, would you divide it into multiple DRS zones or make it one long one? It's about three miles / five kilometers long. Would be sort of like having oval racing tactics on that part of the course.
Scorpaguy wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2022, 18:56
4. No stands...make it all free and folks watch from the roadside/hillside ala WRC...Liberty media says, "Nope!"
Good points, the 'stands' are already there.
π“„€

vorticism

Zynerji wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2022, 19:59
I'd like to see Back Branch Rd in 17815 USA in a GP course.
Looks like if follows a river? This makes me think, if road relevance is a real concern for modern F1, why not race on real roads? More actual road courses. Bump up the safety requirements, give the cars road car suspension travel.
π“„€

Zynerji

vorticism wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2022, 20:43
Zynerji wrote: ↑
04 Apr 2022, 19:59
I'd like to see Back Branch Rd in 17815 USA in a GP course.
Looks like if follows a river? This makes me think, if road relevance is a real concern for modern F1, why not race on real roads? More actual road courses. Bump up the safety requirements, give the cars road car suspension travel.
We ran it in rFactor mostly in rally cars, but I have taken the 2006 Renault down it a few, hair raising, times!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

An alternative to forbidden new tracks, how about forbidden old ones?

How old Spa?

Or for something a bit longer, how about the Targa Florio? 14 laps of 45 miles each.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vorticism

Those videos are great. Interesting to see that Alfa on those roads.

F1 cars sometimes run at Goodwood, and open wheelers generally are part of hillclimb today. Two decades ago (?) Heidfeld I believe ran at the Nordschleife. F1 probably would never go small market nor risk going to places without runoffs and barriers, but a round at something off the beaten path would be nice. Think of how much more 'road relevant those old F1 cars were, driving on unimproved public roads like that. Makes you think what modern F1 cars with more suspension travel and ground clearance would be like. I suppose the open wheelers running hillclimb might already answer that question to some degree.

At Pikes Peak they've had an open wheel class for a while, with wings, usually not diffusers nor floor tuning. To think in all the years no one ever took a raised CART or F1 chassis there.
π“„€

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote: ↑
05 Apr 2022, 01:57
Those videos are great. Interesting to see that Alfa on those roads.

F1 cars sometimes run at Goodwood, and open wheelers generally are part of hillclimb today. Two decades ago (?) Heidfeld I believe ran at the Nordschleife. F1 probably would never go small market nor risk going to places without runoffs and barriers, but a round at something off the beaten path would be nice. Think of how much more 'road relevant those old F1 cars were, driving on unimproved public roads like that. Makes you think what modern F1 cars with more suspension travel and ground clearance would be like. I suppose the open wheelers running hillclimb might already answer that question to some degree.

At Pikes Peak they've had an open wheel class for a while, with wings, usually not diffusers nor floor tuning. To think in all the years no one ever took a raised CART or F1 chassis there.
The Wolf that Shute drives is "semi open wheel" in that the fronts are open but the rears are enclosed. And it's got lots of floor to create downforce.

I guess taking an F1/CART car to Pikes Peak would be a fairly involved process because the cars just aren't designed for that sort of track. They are the best at what they do but they are very much "one trick ponies". Running either on PIkes Peak would probably mean that the ride height was raised so far that they'd lose much of their aero performance. The big flat floors with lots of addenda around the perimeter of the likes of the VW I.D. are what is needed.

PlatinumZealot

I always thought LeMans or any other 24 hr race would be interesting with F1 cars. La Sarthe might be mostly just DRS passes though :mrgreen:
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
05 Apr 2022, 19:10
I always thought LeMans or any other 24 hr race would be interesting with F1 cars. La Sarthe might be mostly just DRS passes though :mrgreen:
Le Mans in an F1 car would be Monza levels of wing / drag so the couple of faster bits would be interesting.

I reckon an F1 car at Le Mans might struggle to be the fastest car around the circuit.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
05 Apr 2022, 21:02
PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
05 Apr 2022, 19:10
Le Mans in an F1 car would be Monza levels of wing / drag so the couple of faster bits would be interesting.

I reckon an F1 car at Le Mans might struggle to be the fastest car around the circuit.
2019/20 cars would be monsters. I bet 30s/lap faster.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Didn't Alonso drive an F1 for a lap a year or so ago?

Edit: He did:

JordanMugen

This thread is worthless without Mount Panaroma, Bathurst. :D

vorticism

Laço do Lagoa. 7km.

π“„€