Titanium vs light bulb

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

What is the source of the light?

Light bulb
82%
Friction
18%

Total votes: 22

vorticism

Titanium vs light bulb

Well my friends, it's time to double down. Is it a skid plate glowing from friction or light bulb illuminating the ground for a sensor?

Maybe mods can move the posts or rename the thread.
π“„€

vorticism

Re: Titanium vs light bulb

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
13 Apr 2022, 20:43
vorticism wrote: ↑
13 Apr 2022, 19:37
It's glowing titanium. The keel springboards don't have central holes through them, and the planks don't seem to have central holes near the front edge, which is occupied by a titanium block.The titanium is mounted on a low thermal conductivity material, and the other side of it is exposed to low thermal conductivity gas (nitrogen at 1 bar), while having a minimal surface area to volume ratio.

The pro-light bulb crowd must explain where the light bulb is to be situated, and whether or not the sensor is mounted to the sprung mass, and where the orifice on the sprung mass is, and why the aforementioned light bulb would be intermittently used. Partial data collection would make no sense if you have a whole lap available to study. Also, why use an orange LED? Surely it's not an incandecent filament bulb. Incandescent titanium maybe. But likely not incandescent tungsten.

pursue_one's wrote: ↑
11 Apr 2022, 20:04
12 Apr 2022, 17:30
25 Mar 2022, 01:38

Glowing titanium?!! Glowing titanium?! By simple abbrasion?!

Check out the properties of this metal. And good luck!
Show on the springboard where the light passes through, or where the camera looks from. Granted it is hard to find a picture of glowing titanium, other than when its melted, or when it's a header primary. That said, it's insulated on one side and can't dissipate heat very well due to lacking fins. There is an image of the RB plank with a hydraulic line mounted to it and now I'm wondering if they use fluid to cool the skid block.

How much do they depend on this block of titanium I wonder.
Last edited by vorticism on 13 Apr 2022, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
π“„€

PlatinumZealot

Watxh this video of titanium welding as an extreme case.

Look at the heat affected zone when he welds it under inert gas. Tell me if the metal is white hot when he does this and how long it stays hot. (its not even glows for a second). Watch till th end of the video when he draws a long bead.

The bib rubbing the ground is not even close to this sort of temperature of TIG arc and there is no inert gas near the bib. Titanium would have been sparking away like crazy if it was whitw hot.

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

vorticism

True although the weld bead is small and the thermal mass relatively large. Continuous abrasion across the surface of the block is different than this. Peak temps are similar (generating molten Ti) except longer duration and across more of the material. My main intrest though is in the construction of the plank/splitter/bib. Where are the portholes, lights, cameras, etc.
π“„€

vorticism

f.e. why is the light source visible from above and below? Is the interior of the bib tray illuminated? Or is the block glowing and partially visible from above?

viewtopic.php?p=1054346#p1054346
π“„€

Jolle
Jolle

It’s a ride hight sensor.

Big Tea

13 Apr 2022, 20:56

Look at the heat affected zone when he welds it under inert gas. Tell me if the metal is white hot when he does this and how long it stays hot. (its not even glows for a second). Watch till th end of the video when he draws a long bead.

The bib rubbing the ground is not even close to this sort of temperature of TIG arc and there is no inert gas near the bib. Titanium would have been sparking away like crazy if it was whitw hot.

https://youtu.be/VkZN8st-BM8
In this vid the metal is heated by electric arc. As there is no PD between the car and track, it would have to be heated by friction. The bar would need to be several feet long and fed to still be in contact with the road after 300 odd Km while rubbing hard enough to generate the 'sparks'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

13 Apr 2022, 20:50
The pro-light bulb crowd must explain where the light bulb is to be situated, and whether or not the sensor is mounted to the sprung mass, and where the orifice on the sprung mass is, and why the aforementioned light bulb would be intermittently used.
No takers, so I will attempt to discredit myself. On the RB springboard, the area above the skid block is taped over. Directly above that there is a box of electronics. (second part of first image) Could be that when the tape removed, the light and sensor can operate through it. On the Merc, there are electronics situated over the rear half of the springboard. Correspondinly there is a hole in the plank at about that location... (left side second image)

π“„€

PlatinumZealot

Big Tea wrote: ↑
13 Apr 2022, 21:51

In this vid the metal is heated by electric arc. As there is no PD between the car and track, it would have to be heated by friction. The bar would need to be several feet long and fed to still be in contact with the road after 300 odd Km while rubbing hard enough to generate the 'sparks'
I know that is heated by an arc under inert gas.
And it still wasnt white hot and cooled pretty fast.
Also note that the melting temperature (very high) and the temperture that it reacts in air (very low)

I using that fact to create a contrast to show that that the metal cannot glow in plain air.

Sparks are different matter.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 13 Apr 2022, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

13 Apr 2022, 21:12
f.e. why is the light source visible from above and below? Is the interior of the bib tray illuminated? Or is the block glowing and partially visible from above?

https://i.imgur.com/pqPLvtx.png
Reflections. The light is hitting the bib and the road from above. The light source is under the fuselage of the chassis pointing backwards and downwards.

Jolle
Jolle

vorticism

13 Apr 2022, 23:31
13 Apr 2022, 21:12

https://i.imgur.com/pqPLvtx.png
Reflections. The light is hitting the bib and the road from above. The light source is under the fuselage of the chassis pointing backwards and downwards.
Could be. There seems to be a small pod ahead of the bib where that would be located. Pointing down and rearward in order to cause the the double reflection. Maybe there's an advantage to having the camera look at both a static and moving surface at the same time.

π“„€

Big Tea

13 Apr 2022, 23:29
Big Tea wrote: ↑
13 Apr 2022, 21:51

I know that is heated by an arc under inert gas.
And it still wasnt white hot and cooled pretty fast.
Also note that the melting temperature (very high) and the temperture that it reacts in air (very low)

I using that fact to create a contrast to show that that the metal cannot glow in plain air.

Sparks are different matter.
To get the equivalent of these tens of amps just through friction would erode the metal so fast it would be down to your fingers in no time if it was on an abrasive wheel, so the car would have to start off looking like a dodgem to have enough material there. Friction and pressure on the 'road' is the same as getting sparks from a grinding wheel.
Hard steel bar throwing that amount of sparks and producing that heat would be gone in seconds per mm.

Edit, sorry . Yes I agree
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

Friction is not going to win this election smh. How much does it cost to buy votes on this site?
π“„€

SiLo

@mods - please lock this thread. It's a sensor. It's been a sensor for years. It's been explained how the sensor works and why the teams use them.

I'm happy to get banned for two weeks to call anyone thinking otherwise a complete and utter moron.
Felipe Baby!