Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:14
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 21:38
Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:34

Yes but he has a signed contract independently of his performance with a section that agrees to be replaced paying certain amount of money. If Riccardo wasn't in control Mclaren would have be made it already public
Does he? Have you read the contract? If you have, can you share?… Or are we just repeating the speculation from “journalists”?… It has been repeated so many times that now it’s taken as fact? (It’s not different that the deadline for Piastri, which apparently wasn’t the reason why he was able to sign for McLaren).

McLaren isn’t making a public quote because they are still working with Ricciardo on how to manage the separation, also to avoid further speculation until all the pieces have fall in place and agreements reached… The only reason why we are all aware of the situation is because of Alonso, if he wouldn’t have signed for Aston Martin and Alpine wouldn’t have jumped the gun and announced Piastri as their driver, all of these would have happened behind the scenes.

Also, it is in McLaren’s best interest to have Daniel find a seat in another Team… Making statements about Ricciardo at this point would be counterproductive, for both McLaren and Ricciardo… They are managing the best way possible.
As you say they are working on the separation, so Riccardo has a say, no I don't know the contract but for sure if it was just question of replacing him it would have been already announced. The rest you just posted is also specualtion from your part, what you wish but you don't know if Riccardo has the option or not to stay and if he wish to stay one year more or not. So I can speculate same as you
I’m speculating… Absolutely… But you stating as fact that he has a contract independent of performance… You asked why McLaren hasn’t made an statement yet (nor Ricciardo) and just pointing that the parties are most probably just working on it… There is no reason for either party to announce anything until they have reached an agreement.

Redragon

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:24
Redragon wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 21:38

Does he? Have you read the contract? If you have, can you share?… Or are we just repeating the speculation from “journalists”?… It has been repeated so many times that now it’s taken as fact? (It’s not different that the deadline for Piastri, which apparently wasn’t the reason why he was able to sign for McLaren).

McLaren isn’t making a public quote because they are still working with Ricciardo on how to manage the separation, also to avoid further speculation until all the pieces have fall in place and agreements reached… The only reason why we are all aware of the situation is because of Alonso, if he wouldn’t have signed for Aston Martin and Alpine wouldn’t have jumped the gun and announced Piastri as their driver, all of these would have happened behind the scenes.

Also, it is in McLaren’s best interest to have Daniel find a seat in another Team… Making statements about Ricciardo at this point would be counterproductive, for both McLaren and Ricciardo… They are managing the best way possible.
As you say they are working on the separation, so Riccardo has a say, no I don't know the contract but for sure if it was just question of replacing him it would have been already announced. The rest you just posted is also specualtion from your part, what you wish but you don't know if Riccardo has the option or not to stay and if he wish to stay one year more or not. So I can speculate same as you
I’m speculating… Absolutely… But you stating as fact that he has a contract independent of performance… You asked why McLaren hasn’t made an statement yet (nor Ricciardo) and just pointing that the parties are most probably just working on it… There is no reason for either party to announce anything until they have reached an agreement.
He has a contract signed until end 2023. That’s a fact. Then his performance is independent of contract signed. You can sign a pilot and get injured, but contract don’t change because of performance. It is the two parts to agree what to do if you finish that contract earlier. So I don’t know why I can’t speculate of how the discussions are going

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
Redragon wrote:

He has a contract signed until end 2023. That’s a fact. Then his performance is independent of contract signed. You can sign a pilot and get injured, but contract don’t change because of performance. It is the two parts to agree what to do if you finish that contract earlier. So I don’t know why I can’t speculate of how the discussions are going
No, that’s not how it works in F1… Contracts do have performance clauses, for both the Driver and the Teams, in which if certain conditions aren’t met the parties can terminate the relationship early… This isn’t new and is well known… Daniel may or may not have a performance clause on his contract regarding an earlier termination, that’s what no one knows, as a matter of fact the speculation is that McLaren wanted him so bad when they hired him from Renault that they may have not put one.

During the Monaco weekend Zak said: "There are mechanisms in which we're committed to each other and then there's mechanisms in which we're not"… He knows exactly what is in the contract and wouldn’t have made that statement if there was no out for McLaren.

Redragon

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:50
Redragon wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

No, that’s not how it works in F1… Contracts do have performance clauses, for both the Driver and the Teams, in which if certain conditions aren’t met the parties can terminate the relationship early… This isn’t new and is well known… Daniel may or may not have a performance clause on his contract regarding an earlier termination, that’s what no one knows, as a matter of fact the speculation is that McLaren wanted him so bad when they hired him from Renault that they may have not put one.

During the Monaco weekend Zak said: "There are mechanisms in which we're committed to each other and then there's mechanisms in which we're not"… He knows exactly what is in the contract and wouldn’t have made that statement if there was no out for McLaren.
But that's is speculation from your part too.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:54
SmallSoldier wrote:
Redragon wrote:

What is speculation? That drivers and teams have performance clauses in their contracts? That’s not speculation and I’ve been clear that we don’t know if there is or isn’t one in Daniel’s contract… That Zak Brown made those comments knowing what is in the contract? That’s not speculation either.

Anyway, we are going in circles… The reality is that we don’t know what is happening behind the scenes and that we can only wait until statements are made by the ones involved in this.

Redragon

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 00:14
Redragon wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:54
SmallSoldier wrote:

What is speculation? That drivers and teams have performance clauses in their contracts? That’s not speculation and I’ve been clear that we don’t know if there is or isn’t one in Daniel’s contract… That Zak Brown made those comments knowing what is in the contract? That’s not speculation either.

Anyway, we are going in circles… The reality is that we don’t know what is happening behind the scenes and that we can only wait until statements are made by the ones involved in this.
Exactly, you have your speculation and I have mine, so don't tell me not to speculate, when we both don't know. You are as wrong as I am until proven wrong.

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
Redragon wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Just happened across someone's driver ratings on youtube and he puts Dan at 3 from worst.

Not sure I agree with most of his choices actually, but if someone thinks this, so must others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO6rzx_eN7s
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

Source is apparently ESPN:

"In downforce we trust"

LHamilton
LHamilton

djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 04:16

Doubt this one.

This would mean that serious discussions with Ricciardo started 1st of August (presumably after the Alonso news had broken), with the Piastri drama kicking off the 2nd? Well, at least publicly. If it turns out to be true, would Alpines intentions be that of getting Ricciardo instead of putting Piastri in the car? Seems odd.

From the outside, given the information we have, that report doesn't really make to much sense.

djos

LHamilton wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 05:16
djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 04:16

Doubt this one.

This would mean that serious discussions with Ricciardo started 1st of August (presumably after the Alonso news had broken), with the Piastri drama kicking off the 2nd? Well, at least publicly. If it turns out to be true, would Alpines intentions be that of getting Ricciardo instead of putting Piastri in the car? Seems odd.

From the outside, given the information we have, that report doesn't really make to much sense.
If McLaren told Daniel that they had signed Oscar to a pre-agreement, and they were just waiting for his Alpine deal to expire, then it makes perfect sense.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

Any offers on who the 4 teams might be?

Discount Mclaren, he is there.
The obvious one is Alpine, but who knows

Williams, doubt he would consider it unless there are things we don't know
Haas Same.
AT? Nah, like going back to an old girlfriend (Horner, so dis-counts RBR too)
AM, full.
Merc full
Alfa? Well Bottas is there and it could possibly become a stealth team if the gathered enough backing and a smile from Ferrari.
Are Ferrari throwing a wobbly? Doubtful

Did he say F1 teams?

Redragon

Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 12:35

Haas Same.
AM, full.
Merc full
Alfa? Well Bottas is there and it could possibly become a stealth team if the gathered enough backing and a smile from Ferrari.

Did he say F1 teams?
My guessing and feeling is Alpha Tauri is one of them. And the silliness is not over. Either is racing with gasly along side or Gasly goes to Alpine and Riccardo race for Alpha Tauri.

Big Tea

Redragon wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 19:44
Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 12:35

Haas Same.
AM, full.
Merc full

Did he say F1 teams?
My guessing and feeling is Alpha Tauri is one of them. And the silliness is not over. Either is racing with gasly along side or Gasly goes to Alpine and Riccardo race for Alpha Tauri.
Horner said that coming back to Red Bull (I assume family) is like going back to an old girlfriend, it never works out.

Gasly to Alpine would be a good shout in my opinion.

tpe
tpe

Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 20:00

Then, who will go to AT? RIC?

Big Tea

tpe wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 21:37
Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 20:00

Then, who will go to AT? RIC?
AS I said above it seems Horner does not want a return. Thats not just a return of Dan by the sound of it either.
Would Dan want to go to AT? I cant see it really, but as I said, we do not know all. We may see Dan with max and Checo at AT :mrgreen: