What to talk about in a seminar explaining how a F1 car works?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Banr

What to talk about in a seminar explaining how a F1 car works?

So there was a seminar in my engineering college and we could choose what we wanted to talk about. The Seminar consists of choosing anything and explaining in details how it works. I've chosen a F1 car and prepared some topics to talk about. I'd like to know from you if you think my topics are great and thanks.

* Chassis

* Unit Power (ICE, MGU-K, MGU-H, ERS, Turbo Charger & Control Electronics)

* Gearbox

* Steering wheel

* Fuel

* Tyres

* Breaks

* Aerodynamics (Front and rear wing, diffuser, ground effect and porpoising, DRS)

* Suspension

Is there anything else you'd think would be great to add?

Stu

Re: What to talk about in a seminar explaining how a F1 car works?

How long is the seminar?

How much detail do you want to use?

There is plenty of research material available if you choose just one/two of these topics; Steering wheel would be a good one, chassis construction would be another. To be honest/fair, if your audience is in anyway engineering educated a very broad brush seminar wouldn’t get enough detail in.

We’ve been discussing porpoising here for weeks (actually, the potential for it was raised before a car was even launched, never mind run!); we still haven’t got any more than theories as yet…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Banr

Hello. Thanks for the response.

The seminar isn't going to be very long, it's 15 minutes long, therefore I wouldn't really be able to use too much details.

hmm so the plan would be to talk about every single part of a f1 car, in a very brief way. We just need to make sure we cover every topic.

NicoS

Banr wrote:
15 May 2022, 17:34
So there was a seminar in my engineering college and we could choose what we wanted to talk about. The Seminar consists of choosing anything and explaining in details how it works. I've chosen a F1 car and prepared some topics to talk about. I'd like to know from you if you think my topics are great and thanks.

* Chassis

* Gearbox

* Steering wheel

* Fuel

* Tyres

* Breaks

* Aerodynamics (Front and rear wing, diffuser, ground effect and porpoising, DRS)

* Suspension

I don't think your topics are great.
they are normal topics that can be discussed, but none of them can be considered "great!"
Everything is pretty much standard atm. Tyres would give you the biggest scope. that is my opinion as it is in my line.

Airshifter

Banr wrote:
15 May 2022, 17:50

The seminar isn't going to be very long, it's 15 minutes long, therefore I wouldn't really be able to use too much details.

hmm so the plan would be to talk about every single part of a f1 car, in a very brief way. We just need to make sure we cover every topic.
That is very little time to talk about every aspect of the cars. Fifteen minutes can actually fly by fairly quickly.

Assuming that your target audience is others in your class, along with instructors, I'd focus more on a certain aspect of the car myself. Being that it's people studying to be engineers, along with those teaching it, I'd probably give a brief rundown of how the cars are designed (within the regs) from the ground up, and then choose a particular area and explain the in depth engineering challenges for that component/area of interest.

As an example, as simple as brakes seem, on an F1 car pretty much every detail is taken to the extreme. Brake temps alone would raise quite a few eyebrows, even in a group of engineers.

Banr

NicoS wrote:
16 May 2022, 09:50
Banr wrote:
15 May 2022, 17:34

* Chassis

* Gearbox

* Steering wheel

* Fuel

* Tyres

* Breaks

* Suspension

I don't think your topics are great.
they are normal topics that can be discussed, but none of them can be considered "great!"
Everything is pretty much standard atm. Tyres would give you the biggest scope. that is my opinion as it is in my line.
u say they suck. but dont give explanation why or what are great topics. not very useful but ty

Banr

Airshifter wrote:
16 May 2022, 11:00
Banr wrote:
15 May 2022, 17:50

That is very little time to talk about every aspect of the cars. Fifteen minutes can actually fly by fairly quickly.

Assuming that your target audience is others in your class, along with instructors, I'd focus more on a certain aspect of the car myself. Being that it's people studying to be engineers, along with those teaching it, I'd probably give a brief rundown of how the cars are designed (within the regs) from the ground up, and then choose a particular area and explain the in depth engineering challenges for that component/area of interest.

As an example, as simple as brakes seem, on an F1 car pretty much every detail is taken to the extreme. Brake temps alone would raise quite a few eyebrows, even in a group of engineers.
hmm thanks i guess this is a great idea. im gonna go in depth with aerodynamics then cuz i love that

henry

I’d agree with @airshifter, pick an aspect that emphasises how extraordinary F1 cars are. Perhaps extreme cornering performance, and how it’s delivered, particularly the Aero influence since that’s your preference.

Even though I’ve followed F1 for a good many years I was surprised to discover that a long corner I took at 40mph (0.4g) and a friend in his Boxster at 60mph (0.9g, which feels very fast) would be taken at at least 140mph (4g). That’s a corner of around 90m nominal radius, any high speed corner above 100m radius is taken flat in these cars, Campsa at Barcelona, Copse, and many others. You should be able to find some local roads in your area with suitable corner radii to make the comparison with things your audience knows. Your audience should be intrigued to know how such performance is made possible.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

hollus

The 1g of drag at the end of a straight, an unwanted consequence of a wanted compromise, is always an eye opener.
An F1 car can brake better that your road car, on solid steel tires, without touching the brakes (not that your road car can reach 300 km/h).
Rivals, not enemies.

Richard

hollus wrote:
16 May 2022, 19:33
The 1g of drag at the end of a straight, an unwanted consequence of a wanted compromise, is always an eye opener.
An F1 car can brake better that your road car, on solid steel tires, without touching the brakes (not that your road car can reach 300 km/h).
That's a very neat illustration. All that energy diverted into downforce has to come at a price with high drag. Importantly it shows engineering students that work done has to be in equilibrium, otherwise it's magic money tree territory.

johnny comelately

Or you could topify the thing that differentiates from the horse and cart.
And how a few years ago it was an impossible unthought of concept.
And how it has contributed to accelerated pollution reduction and its relevance to world energy consumption, no small matter.
And yet propels an object through that watery substance at inhuman speeds.

Banr

johnny comelately wrote:
16 May 2022, 23:20
Or you could topify the thing that differentiates from the horse and cart.
And how a few years ago it was an impossible unthought of concept.
And how it has contributed to accelerated pollution reduction and its relevance to world energy consumption, no small matter.
And yet propels an object through that watery substance at inhuman speeds.
hmm i play factorio so i luv sum pollution lulz
nah jk but im finna talk about the car not on the boring ambiental problems

Stu

You’ve missed the point there Banr, the engines/PU are fantastically complex and are operating at in excess of 50% efficiency (unheard of for fossil fuel engines), with spectacularly low levels of heat rejection (as compared with power produced).
Normally discussion on emissions are avoided, but they use less fuel, more efficiently than ever to go faster than ever before.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.