How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Swed3120

How useless is sky sports f1

Is there any possible way of forcing sky sports f1 out of F1 broadcasts

Some of there pundits are good , particularly Ted , but so many of them are completely biased towards both sides , and just entirely crap.

They spend 30min discussing what Hamilton did in P15 and didn’t discuss anything of the other action , just really tired of how they focus almost 99% of they’re Air time on russel, Hamilton , Norris and Mercedes. It’s a British broadcaster but sadly half of u across the world have to listen to their unprofessional crap on the worldwide broadcast

adrianjordan

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

"biased towards both sides"

How can you be biased towards BOTH sides???

They're a national broadcaster and focus more on the drivers who are more popular in their home country.

Meanwhile Channel 4 are basically the PR arm of RBR thanks to DC owning the production company.

Bring back the Beeb!! 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

hollus

BBB?

I found the commentary on F1TV quite OK. Buxton and Palmer. They even forgot about Hamilton for like 40 minutes. Focus on The Bulls, a bit on Alonso, runaway Leclerc, and Russell only while he was soaking the camera time, then no more. No histrionics either. quite pleasant, actually.
Rivals, not enemies.

Spoutnik

It's not better out there in France with Jacques Villeneuve really...

Zynerji

hollus wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:50
BBB?

I found the commentary on F1TV quite OK. Buxton and Palmer. They even forgot about Hamilton for like 40 minutes. Focus on The Bulls, a bit on Alonso, runaway Leclerc, and Russell only while he was soaking the camera time, then no more. No histrionics either. quite pleasant, actually.
F1TV has definitely stolen a march with Buxton and Palmer. I sincerely vote them the best team since I've started watching in 2004. Literally calling strategies and having them actually play out. Jolyon is easily the best driver-made-presenter that is on TV.

johnny comelately

If you compare to MotoGP, Sky is tremendous.
My only concern is Mr Crofts excessive statistics (for me anyway)

Zynerji

johnny comelately wrote:
22 May 2022, 23:37
If you compare to MotoGP, Sky is tremendous.
My only concern is Mr Crofts excessive statistics (for me anyway)
Croft is Crusty. I don't know how else to say it..🤣

organic

hollus wrote:
BBB?

Those two are surprisingly good together. Normally can't stand Buxton but feel like they balance each other out; jolyon's technical approach with Buxton's buzzword dramatisation ends up being pleasant

chrisc90

I think the OP is right. It’s often embarrassing how out the way the sky team will go to even mention Hamilton. Especially when there’s much better action going on elsewhere in the pack.

adrianjordan

hollus wrote:
BBB?

That's quite funny, because SkyF1 also didn't mention Hamilton for a massive chunk of the race. In fact everything you've said above could go for them as well.

In fact my biggest complaint about SkyF1 is how often they have Horner on from the Pitwall, or any boss for that matter, rarely adds anything of any value to the commentary.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

silver

adrianjordan wrote:
23 May 2022, 02:59
hollus wrote:
BBB?

That's quite funny, because SkyF1 also didn't mention Hamilton for a massive chunk of the race. In fact everything you've said above could go for them as well.

In fact my biggest complaint about SkyF1 is how often they have Horner on from the Pitwall, or any boss for that matter, rarely adds anything of any value to the commentary.
Maybe the feed back from Imola was taken seriously.

silver

Swed3120 wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:20

Some of there pundits are good , particularly Ted , but so many of them are completely biased towards both sides , and just entirely crap.

They spend 30min discussing what Hamilton did in P15 and didn’t discuss anything of the other action , just really tired of how they focus almost 99% of they’re Air time on russel, Hamilton , Norris and Mercedes. It’s a British broadcaster but sadly half of u across the world have to listen to their unprofessional crap on the worldwide broadcast
Ted is probably the worst. He knows little and portrays like a pro. I like A Davidson, Brundle and Rachel Brooks (most measured of all). Crofty, Johnny and rest of the crew are just cringe worthy and notoriously British driver biased. Fair amount is ok but even for brits it's over the top. Naomi currently is a good addition. Is it a monopoly of Sky over F1?

Zynerji

If Jolyon and Will had a "skypad like" dashboard in front of them during the race that controlled the PiP, the F1TV stream would hands down be the best product on the market. He just gets how to communicate the sport like I've not seen before.

adrianjordan

silver wrote:
23 May 2022, 03:56
Swed3120 wrote:

Ted is probably the worst. He knows little and portrays like a pro. I like A Davidson, Brundle and Rachel Brooks (most measured of all). Crofty, Johnny and rest of the crew are just cringe worthy and notoriously British driver biased. Fair amount is ok but even for brits it's over the top. Naomi currently is a good addition. Is it a monopoly of Sky over F1?
Nah, Ted is a legend. He doesn't pretend to be a tech geek, he asks others for that. He's great at getting info from the teams though and that's his job.

Quantum

silver wrote:
23 May 2022, 03:56
Swed3120 wrote:

Brundle measured?
I've watched races where he hasn't participated and didn't even notice. He is an identi-kit commentator. And by that I mean he will speak for 5 minutes without saying a damn thing. The other issue, is that if you pay attention to what he is saying you'll notice he he says the same thing at each GP. At many points in a GP you'll see a strategy developing and he'll be away with the fairies about how great a car looks over the kerbs or how wonderful driver x is, or the struggle Williams have (ohhh it's every race for the last 3 years).

The saving grace though, is that at least he is not Will Buxton. Prima Donna Buxton would put me off the sport completely. Always cautious so as not to upset anyone who would revoke his after-race party invite.
And I think that's an issue in general. The media circus is embedded with the teams and many of them don't say what they should, for fear of being isolated.
"Interplay of triads"