How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mogster

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

MadMax wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 17:56
littlebigcat wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 15:06

I mind the days when Coultard was British if he was winning and a Scot if he made a mistake or lost. There is your real British bias.
Guessing you have Scottish roots? :lol:
DC spent a lot of time being Scottish then :lol:

Big Tea

Mogster wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 22:25
MadMax wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 17:56
littlebigcat wrote:

I mind the days when Coultard was British if he was winning and a Scot if he made a mistake or lost. There is your real British bias.
Guessing you have Scottish roots? :lol:
DC spent a lot of time being Scottish then :lol:
He was once asked what he though of *someone calling him a 'has-been'.
His reply was-- If the alternatives are wannabee or neverwas, Yeah, I'm ok with that.

*Don't recall who, but not another driver.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Edax
Edax

littlebigcat wrote:
I’m somewhat surprised that some people are surprised at a national broadcaster having a bias towards its own audience.

Remember Sky is a UK subscription service, their market will be first and foremost die hard F1 fans who are paying £50 a month to watch F1 alone on top of their regular Sky subscription.

If another broadcaster chooses to use their feed in other parts of the world then your complaint is with them not Sky.

I guess some bias is OK. I mean I have watched F1 on french, german and Italian television as well and it never bothered me.

But the thing is that in the current day and age media have to be careful what they say. It is not like 30 years ago when a bad remark was quickly forgotten by anyone but the 5 people which had a VCR running. Today everything is dissected on twitter and fora like these. And some people take it to very bad places.

And the atletes have to bear the brunt of the fallout. Racist abuse, death threats, hate sites, random insults from complete strangers. It does not surprise me that Hamilton spoke up to support Verstappen in this.

IMO the media play a role in this; they may not have caused it, but they can choose not to feed it. Key word is respect. And I see no reason why you cannot favor one driver or team and respect the others.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Edax wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 01:38
littlebigcat wrote:
I’m somewhat surprised that some people are surprised at a national broadcaster having a bias towards its own audience.

Remember Sky is a UK subscription service, their market will be first and foremost die hard F1 fans who are paying £50 a month to watch F1 alone on top of their regular Sky subscription.

If another broadcaster chooses to use their feed in other parts of the world then your complaint is with them not Sky.

I guess some bias is OK. I mean I have watched F1 on french, german and Italian television as well and it never bothered me.

But the thing is that in the current day and age media have to be careful what they say. It is not like 30 years ago when a bad remark was quickly forgotten by anyone but the 5 people which had a VCR running. Today everything is dissected on twitter and fora like these. And some people take it to very bad places.

And the atletes have to bear the brunt of the fallout. Racist abuse, death threats, hate sites, random insults from complete strangers. It does not surprise me that Hamilton spoke up to support Verstappen in this.

IMO the media play a role in this; they may not have caused it, but they can choose not to feed it. Key word is respect. And I see no reason why you cannot favor one driver or team and respect the others.
Hear here

Sevach
Sevach

I'm disappointed that Verstappen and Red Bull did this for only one weekend, at least keep up until the end of the year, make it fun...

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Sky F1 costs too much money, for me I refuse to pay it and waste my weekends glued to the TV. Now I just stay off the internet until F1 post the quali and race highlights on YouTube.

It’s rather hypocritical of Horner and Max though to want to boycott the outlet that let them spread so much drivel and hate for years because someone gave their honest opinion. It’s different when Max, Horner or Marko give their honest opinion on stewards, marshals, or the teams, drivers etc through said media outlet.

It’s all a bit too convenient for me that all of the cost cap stuff comes out and they now say no interviews with Sky because they disrespected us.

I get that people want presenters of media outlets to be unbiased but they’re still people and will have and air differing opinions. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. I used to watch F1 free to air stuff on the BBC and then C4, DC was all too much pro Red Bull, I couldn’t watch that anymore so I didn’t, not that I was against Red Bull it just made for terrible commentary.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Sevach wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 04:44
I'm disappointed that Verstappen and Red Bull did this for only one weekend, at least keep up until the end of the year, make it fun...
Verstappen has stopped indefinitely. Only RB resumes in Brasil.

Juzh

KeiKo403 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 09:52
It’s all a bit too convenient for me that all of the cost cap stuff comes out and they now say no interviews with Sky because they disrespected us.
It's not just the cap, it's been going on for way longer.
For example ask red bull's chief strategist Hannah Schmitz how she felt when she got bombarded by hate spam and even death threats after that imbecile kravitz without any proof or reason accused her and RB of instructing Tsunoda to stop on track in zandvoort to help verstappen beat hamilton. Those are the lengths those dimwits at sky are willing to go to.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Juzh wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 12:55
KeiKo403 wrote:
It's not just the cap, it's been going on for way longer.
For example ask red bull's chief strategist Hannah Schmitz how she felt when she got bombarded by hate spam and even death threats after that imbecile kravitz without any proof or reason accused her and RB of instructing Tsunoda to stop on track in zandvoort to help verstappen beat hamilton. Those are the lengths those dimwits at sky are willing to go to.
If I were ever lucky enough to speak directly with a chief F1 strategist there are many better things I’d like discuss over hate spam and death threats. Also did he actually accuse her? I have a faint memory of other people, maybe Binotto or Wolff saying the FIA needed to investigate and insinuating such things.

FromGP2toWDC

It fanned the flames.

Sky Sports commentator Ted Kravitz said: “I know we’re near the North Sea but this is fishy.
“I’m just wondering what on earth was going on because your seatbelts don’t just suddenly come undone at a pit stop and what a coincidence they changed the tyres.
“If it had been a safety car, it would have saved Max Verstappen’s bacon in this race.”

" The conspiracy theories caught fire on social media and saw both AlphaTauri and Red Bull strategy head Hannah Schmitz targeted by trolls. "

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... 7bedb42d5e

the EDGE
the EDGE

As I’ve said many times before, I find Sky’s F1 coverage slow & boring, especially Brundle & his race commentary

Ted is the only one who actually has a personality, although even his notebook has become sterile & worthless

I for one, won’t miss anything either Max or RB had to say, I think they live in a very different world to reality…. But I do understand that there must be fans of theirs out there who would

But what I really don’t like is double standards where RB think they can pedal their BS, but everyone else must stay silent if they disagree. Typically, why I do not like the team. I mean, it wasn’t long ago even Horner agreed Massi was in the wrong

dren

hollus wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:50
BBB?

I found the commentary on F1TV quite OK. Buxton and Palmer. They even forgot about Hamilton for like 40 minutes. Focus on The Bulls, a bit on Alonso, runaway Leclerc, and Russell only while he was soaking the camera time, then no more. No histrionics either. quite pleasant, actually.
Easily worth the price of admission. It's quite good.
Honda!

McL-H
McL-H

Sky Sports has the best coverage out there. They are biased, sure. But if you’ve ever seen the Dutch F1 coverage you’ll never complain about Sky’s bias in anyway ever again.

Meanwhile, Sky has so much expertise walking around. Brundle is absolutely great, but so are Hill, Palmer, Button Davidson and Di Resta. And Ted just brings a lot of humor into the equation. I went great lengths to get access to the Sky coverage from outside the UK and I’m happy for it each and every time. I’d pay for it if I could.

chrisc90

McL-H wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 19:15
Sky Sports has the best coverage out there. They are biased, sure. But if you’ve ever seen the Dutch F1 coverage you’ll never complain about Sky’s bias in anyway ever again.

Meanwhile, Sky has so much expertise walking around. Brundle is absolutely great, but so are Hill, Palmer, Button Davidson and Di Resta. And Ted just brings a lot of humor into the equation. I went great lengths to get access to the Sky coverage from outside the UK and I’m happy for it each and every time. I’d pay for it if I could.
If you got F1TV it would be leagues ahead.

I agree Sky has some of the best coverage compared to F1TV, especially with a bit more pre and post race where I feel F1TV could polish up a bit more....IE more interviews with the teams/drivers live, bit more talking to them on the grid pre race too, and give some more fancy analysis of qualifying for example.

Sky dont have a patch on the F1TV commentators Sam Collins and Will Buxton in my opinion. The standard between them is night and day.

daren_p
daren_p

KeiKo403 wrote:
It’s rather hypocritical of Horner and Max though to want to boycott the outlet that let them spread so much drivel and hate for years because someone gave their honest opinion. It’s different when Max, Horner or Marko give their honest opinion on stewards, marshals, or the teams, drivers etc through said media outlet.
This has always been the Redbull way, when a Redbull driver does it, it's just good hard racing, when the same thing happens to a Redbull drivers, the other driver has a death wish/deserves a race ban/threatens legal action.