How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 18:37
Any of them who doesnt have a piece of Mercedes/team stuck in their rear would be better to be fair. Cringeworthy at times.
The entire F1 show is almost the Christian Horner show, every 5 minutes it, lets see what Horner has to say.
They boycotted the show when Sky said something they didn't like and sky had to grovel forgiveness, if anything they need to remove the redbull from their rear.

JordanMugen

f1jcw wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 13:56
The entire F1 show is almost the Christian Horner show, every 5 minutes it, lets see what Horner has to say.
No mention of the likes of Toto Wolff, Andreas Seidl, Otmar Szafnauer etc also appearing on Sky TV regularly?

Anyway, I certainly found the Edwards and Watson commentary on F1TV at Miami to be far superior to the usual Sky commentary, particularly Croft, but also the way Sky doesn't talk about what's *actually happening on the track* during Free Practice sessions unlike the F1TV commentary.

mzivtins
mzivtins

Personally I don't feel the need for pundits who have no real life experience of f1 through the years, it is important to keep that perspective around because it reminds the old fans and new of what has changed for the better and the worst.

JH raced in f1 and had an incredible dramatic win at Le Mans, he is a person with a lot of colourful history in motorsport, more than a lot of other drivers, even if he never got to be a WDC title holder he still has important knowledge we don't

DH is also important, not just from watching tv perspective, but for the entirely of F1 and its place in the UK.

I feel that we are in danger of hiding the past to make actions and decision of today seem reasonable because of gaslighting by certain team bosses where people calling someone a cheater for cheating are being labelled as the attackers.

McLaren as an example came under a lot of fire for getting rid of DR and also saying red bull were cheating. Both of those arguments were fuelled by sky media who rather than agree with common sense and fact, like to stir the rumour mill.

It is a fact red bull cheated.
It is very easy to see that DR was not performing to the standards required of him.

But McLaren became the bad guys.

I only use them as an example to avoid some people in this thread who are obsessed with Merc vs Red Bull. But you get the point.

RonMexico
RonMexico

f1jcw wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Any of them who doesnt have a piece of Mercedes/team stuck in their rear would be better to be fair. Cringeworthy at times.
They boycotted the show when Sky said something they didn't like and sky had to grovel forgiveness, if anything they need to remove the redbull from their rear.
That's part of the job for a RB top dog. The other TP/CEO types could be on as much as they want if they made themselves available.

The boycott softened Kravitz cough after a few derogatory comments against RB. He was over the line in what he said

chrisc90

Agree. Nice to see some team principals taking the time out to talk to the commentators which is better for the fans.

Maybe some others should also be available for questions

r101
r101

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 06:35
Anyway, I certainly found the Edwards and Watson commentary on F1TV at Miami to be far superior to the usual Sky commentary, particularly Croft, but also the way Sky doesn't talk about what's *actually happening on the track* during Free Practice sessions unlike the F1TV commentary.
+1, Watson was always relaxed, knowledgable, and non-intrusive. Even during Mansell-Senna days he was as objective as they come.

It would be great if you could choose from inside the F1 app where E&W would be picked for global audience, and all current guys would go just for UK.

prox

I find sky over the top, Ted (when on ITV) was great running up and down the pitlane. But now he's trying to out do Netflix with his over the top speculation - I mean Mercedes B car, Redbull side pods coming in the next few races? its too much and Crofty now thinks he's on the same level as Murray.
I actually found the commentary though the tests much more informative and easier to listen too.

DGP123
DGP123

The preview show was tired. The old looking depressed pundits stood there for an hour doing an incredibly bad job at promoting the season. Basically said RB would dominate and the highlights could be inter team battles. Great.

The outfit needs new energy badly.

bas550
bas550

f1jcw wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 13:54
Well a video today is saying that JH was cancelled due to him saying that the end of 2021 race Abu Dhabi, was wrong, against the rules and left a bad taste in the mouth.

As even FIA admitted it finished incorrectly, should a presenter be sacked for stating facts?
f1jcw wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Seeing as they brought it up and just about every time their sound was on, that was the reason? The matter is well and truly closed, the talking point is pointless and tiresome. Even well before 2021 the majority of sky pundits seemed to be Mercedes' personal cheering squad.

Of course it's normal for people to have a bit of a preference towards a team/person. Even professional pundits. The bias is clearly there...Yes the Dutch broadcast team is very biased as well, but they do not broadcast worldwide, only to a small country with a couple of people living in it. Sky does broadcast to a worldwide audience.

As for Horner being on TV a lot...I mean so is Toto, Steiner, Binotto (we can scratch him off now), snafzauer, Zak Brown...so I don't see the issue here.

----

Sky would be great simply with Brundle, Chandhok, Natalie Pinkman, Naomi Schiff and Anthony Davidson. Someone else said it perfectly about Crofty, not sure if it was here or elsewhere, but Crofty just doesn't come across as being passionate about F1. I think he enjoys being known for going on about utterly irrelevant tangents constantly. I know he's there to ask questions for newer viewers to understand parts of F1 they don't quite get but it's done in such a way that he's got no F1 knowledge at all. They can't all be Murray, but how hard is to find a guy that commentate with passion about a sport? So what that he got 90% wrong, the passion is what made him great. Not the endless waffling that Crofty does.

For F1TV, I think Jolyon Palmer is utterly fantastic. I wish they could have John Watson with him as often as possible...about as straight forward as they come. Ben Edwards is great as well. I despise Buxton, he wasn't very good in GP2 and after getting to F1, he's become worse as the chief narrator in DTS and the F1 games.

Juzh

bas550 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 13:01
For F1TV, I think Jolyon Palmer is utterly fantastic. I wish they could have John Watson with him as often as possible...about as straight forward as they come. Ben Edwards is great as well. I despise Buxton, he wasn't very good in GP2 and after getting to F1, he's become worse as the chief narrator in DTS and the F1 games.
Palmer is very good when he is commentating qualifying and races as he takes those seriously, but sometimes when he's got a bit too much time on his hands during fps and particularly during testing he gets carried away too much with silly jokes and off topic stuff.
Like the other day sainz finally put on c4 tyre to do a fast lap and it seems none of them were looking at the screens, it took them 2/3 of a lap to realise somethings up.

dans79

Juzh wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 20:20
bas550 wrote:
Palmer is very good when he is commentating qualifying and races as he takes those seriously, but sometimes when he's got a bit too much time on his hands during fps and particularly during testing he gets carried away too much with silly jokes and off topic stuff.
Like the other day sainz finally put on c4 tyre to do a fast lap and it seems none of them were looking at the screens, it took them 2/3 of a lap to realise somethings up.
I really don’t like any of them anymore. At this point I miss
Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

Juzh wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 20:20
bas550 wrote:
I like Palmer and think he does a good job, but remember he does a different job to the others.
He has 20/20 hindsight and access to data TV does not. I'm sure all the live commentators would wish they could go back and change some of the things they said or wish someone interviewed had read the same script as them.

Same with 'Ted' Collins and Scarbs. One walks about chattering live of things he has seen or asked about, one fills air time and the other gives 'expert technical opinions. All do a good job mostly, but swap them around and some would look lost.

(don't misunderstand here, I have a very high opinion of Scarbs, but he knows what he is talking about and speaking to a team member on behalf of the lowest level of spectator would not please him, and I don't think Collins could give us the reason that bit is bent just there )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

I know it is impossible but the best of all is Jensen Button who is on there infrequently.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Goin back to the Johnny Herbert "he was sacked for speaking the truth", it's not what he said, it's how he said it, and how often.

He was outright disrespectful to Max, and gave a --- eating grin to the camera on more than one occasion as if to say "aren't I clever!"

Simple fact is that Max was the deserving champion, based on not crashing into the pitlane, not pressing the wrong button on his steering wheel, not crashing and being saved my red flags, and not relying on a teammate going bowling to stay in the title hunt.

The way it went down was wrong, but the result was right, and Herbert won't accept that.

And I say that as somebody who met Herbert many years back and thought he was brilliant - really enjoyed meeting him, so I don't have an axe to grind.

organic

Big Tea wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 00:19

I like Palmer and think he does a good job, but remember he does a different job to the others.
He has 20/20 hindsight and access to data TV does not. I'm sure all the live commentators would wish they could go back and change some of the things they said or wish someone interviewed had read the same script as them.

Palmer does live commentary on f1tv