2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: 2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

Incognito wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:17
DChemTech wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:10
Perez' said his tires were done after the range IIRC.
Also, team orders? not really. Just a request not to fight - which seems sensible considering the situation (Leclerc closing in, early in the race, Max having better tires). This was not similar to the 'let Max pass' in Spain, where they were actually potentially fighting for the win.
Perez lost 4 seconds in one lap under the VSC, because his tyres weren't in good condition? And then a further 2 seconds the next lap.

Really?

Interesting that Leclerc wasn't hauling him at 6-8 seconds a lap once the VSC lifted then.
The tire part is on why Max was allowed to overtake after the VSC - not just clear from Perez' comments, also clear from the fact that Max easily drove away from Perez after overtaking, while Perez was losing time on Leclerc quite rapidly. I don't know why Perez lost time under the VSC and if that was even permanent - can just be due to trying to stick to the delta. There is no reason to jump to conclusions and assume it was team orders.

Incognito
Incognito

lh13 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:18
Looks like you don't know that the gaps are increased during VSC, because of lower speeds and then reduce rapidly once they start driving at full speeds.
It's certainly possible that I don't. Who knows?

But as I took my timings before and after the VSC was active, it's pretty irrelevant, no? If you recall, there used to be a Ferrari in between the two Red Bulls before it pitted under the VSC. Or are you suggesting Leclerc was already in Perez's DRS before Sainz went off?

I've got some more straws if you want to grasp at those ones too?

chrisc90

Why cant they just raise the car to give it a bit of rake so the rear is higher than the front? That way there is more travel for the rear to be pulled down under the higher speed running, meaning the floor is less closer to the floor and reduces the chance of porpoising as the floor doesnt stall.

Maybe why this is why the RB is so good, because they are used to running rake on their cars?

Incognito
Incognito

DChemTech wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:20
The tire part is on why Max was allowed to overtake after the VSC - not just clear from Perez' comments, also clear from the fact that Max easily drove away from Perez after overtaking, while Perez was losing time on Leclerc quite rapidly. I don't know why Perez lost time under the VSC and if that was even permanent - can just be due to trying to stick to the delta. There is no reason to jump to conclusions and assume it was team orders.
Sure, people lose seconds under the VSC all the time. Particularly experienced F1 drivers like Perez. I'm sure that's a more logical conclusion than the team doing the right thing and inverting their cars to protect both WDC and WCC points.

Sevach
Sevach

Baku was worst than the usual because of the bumpy pit straight.
With that said Mercedes setup choices might end Lewis career to be a distant 3rd best, well done.

Gillian
Gillian

Incognito wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:25
DChemTech wrote:
Sure, people lose seconds under the VSC all the time. Particularly experienced F1 drivers like Perez. I'm sure that's a more logical conclusion than the team doing the right thing and inverting their cars to protect both WDC and WCC points.
Perez did not have any tires left and Verstappen did. The only thing that Perez could have done was slow himself and Verstappen down for a lap or worse risk a collision. Just look at the lap times and you'll see that Perez had just taken everything out of his tires and Verstappen did not. So yes, it was the right thing to do to just let Verstappen past.

And for sure, that's what McLaren should have done with Norris and Ricciardo too.

JPower
JPower

F1doc wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:53
Ryar wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:50
Checo is doing a Bottas. In his desperation, he is chasing one lap pace over race pace and is becoming a sitting duck in races. Hopefully the hype about him being a championship contender should be done with. I doubt if he would have even got a podium if both Ferraris continued.
In Sainz's current form??? I think the podium was nailed on provided no incidents with the barriers.
Had his overcut strategy worked, I think Sainz would've been in position to fight for a podium.

But, we'll never know.

Regarding the other post, I don't think Checo is chasing one lap pace. On a track that doesn't prioritize track position, that wouldn't make sense.

f1316
f1316

Sigh… I think us Ferrari fans might as well just start only watching F1 on Saturday - it’s the only way to avoid continued crushing disappointment! :lol:

I was actually initially pleased they’d taken the aggressive strategy option - Lord knows if it would have worked, if they’d have gone to two stopper or what, but it was the right thing to go for it given relative pace in the first stint. But the last three races were just unacceptable if you want to win a world championship and at this stage that’s starting to seem like a forlorn hope, especially as a raft of engine penalties seem likely sooner or later.

I’m ever hopeful for the next race - and I think this one proved that Ferrari can be good on circuits with high speed straights, certainly over one lap (which might give them margin to move the balance towards race pace, as they don’t need to take pole by 3 tenths everywhere) - but it’s staring to feel like it’s slipping away already, especially as Red Bull seem well on top of their car now.

Mogster

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:24
Why cant they just raise the car to give it a bit of rake so the rear is higher than the front? That way there is more travel for the rear to be pulled down under the higher speed running, meaning the floor is less closer to the floor and reduces the chance of porpoising as the floor doesnt stall.

Maybe why this is why the RB is so good, because they are used to running rake on their cars?
I suspect RBR just have more power and so more viable setup options.

Sevach
Sevach

Gillian wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:42
Incognito wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:25
DChemTech wrote:
Perez did not have any tires left and Verstappen did. The only thing that Perez could have done was slow himself and Verstappen down for a lap or worse risk a collision. Just look at the lap times and you'll see that Perez had just taken everything out of his tires and Verstappen did not. So yes, it was the right thing to do to just let Verstappen past.

And for sure, that's what McLaren should have done with Norris and Ricciardo too.
At that point of the GP Leclerc was a big threat and RB maximized their chances rather than let Perez and Max scrap for it.
Max had better pace and tire usage than Checo today.

nokivasara
nokivasara

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:17
I don't think the problem is proposing. Proposing is like a sine wave, these movements are like a saw wave. It is not the whole care up and down it is each end as it happens. Suspension problem to me?
Some of it is probably caused by the floor hitting the ground and thus upsetting the suspension? Seems like all cars are bouncing to some degree, Mercedes probably the most unwilling to sacrifice performance over comfort.
Either way it does look uncomfortable, my 25-year old self would be OK with it but now at 42 I would not. Beside driver comfort or possible healt issues I think it looks "stupid" in lack of a better word, not worthy the pinnacle of motorsport.

PlatinumZealot

lh13 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:08

The 37 year old chose the car setup himself:

- Lewis Hamilton

That's why the whole thing is inexplicable. "So were getting lower and lower but it’s bouncing more[" not "so we are raising the car up high to avoid the bouncing regardless of performance."

Lando Norris has a clear view on the matter:

- Lando Norris
Norris is 22 and the size of a house cat. He can manage the bumps better and McLaren is one of the least affected cars.
You have difficulty reading?
Reading is one thing but it is clear you are having trouble with comprehension!

To explain it better for you, age and weight makes a difference for athletes. The older and heavier you are the more you feel jolts in the joints.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lh13
lh13

PlatinumZealot wrote:
lh13 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:12
PlatinumZealot wrote: Norris is 22 and the size of a house cat. He can manage the bumps better and McLaren is one of the least affected cars.
You have difficulty reading?
Reading is one thing but it is clear you are having trouble with comprehension!

To explain it better for you, age and weight makes a difference for athletes. The older and heavier you are the more you feel jolts in the joints.

You say that McLaren is the least effected car while Norris clearly mentioned that they're compromising on the performance to manage the situation...

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

chrisc90 wrote:

Because that would sacrifice performance around the entire lap

chrisc90

Mchamilton wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 20:11
chrisc90 wrote:

Because that would sacrifice performance around the entire lap
Correct. But there must be a cross over somewhere though.