2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ferry
Ferry

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

Mansell89 wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 11:03
Attending my first race in person as a bit of a treat this weekend - hope I’m not asking a stupid question here but even though F1 is not the screaming V10s of yesteryear, do people recommend earplugs being used for the weekend?
Bring earplugs! Then you have the choice. It can be really hard on the ears, standing there during F3, F3, Porsche Cup, F1 etc. Even if the sound might not be painful, it's still bad for your ears. But it's not the sound level alone, it's also how long you are exposed. I was at Spa in 2013, the last year of the V8's. They were painfully loud. What surprised me the most were the Porsches. I was expecting them too be rather dull, like on tv. But boy was I surprised when they passed up the Kemmel straight
I guess perception of sound level is individual, to a degree. I've abused my hearing so much, I prefer to protect what's left as best as I can. I use earplugs at rock concerts too. Makes the sound better, actually. I don't keep them in 100% of the time, though.

dialtone
dialtone

Bill wrote:what does convergence mean in practical terms .does it mean relibilty ,power, durability ,ability to sustain power over 6 race weekend.the answer is no the pu have not converge at the top we have Honda and if others want to match them they have to good in all those factors.take for example if ferrari want to match them for power their pu wont last a race like we saw in Barcelona and Baku.So ferrari put a lot of downforce on their car to match Rbr on lap time so it partial work but that hurt balance and tire life and they get blasted on straight.last year merc learned that their pu was not durable enough the lost upto 40hp over six race weekends so they resorted to changing pu combustion chamber every other third race on Lewis but downside is you start at back .The Redbull is a good car but second to ferrari on chassis it is the pu that make them potent.
Barcelona isn't a power track AND Leclerc was 20s ahead when his engine failed, he wasn't pushing.

Bill
Bill

the point am trying to make is the ferrari pu is became unreliable after the upgrades they made to their mguh .i think those changes were made to fix straightline deficit to Rbr and they havent worked thus so far

dialtone
dialtone

Bill wrote:the point am trying to make is the ferrari pu is became unreliable after the upgrades they made to their mguh .i think those changes were made to fix straightline deficit to Rbr and they havent worked thus so far
Not really. Mguk has been a problem for customer teams. Turbo broke in barcelona and overheated. Mguh hasn't been an issue aside from being damaged by the turbo.

Bill
Bill

mguh is compressor +turbine +generator the whole unit .but still it does not change anything point stand they are unreliable.

dialtone
dialtone

Bill wrote:mguh is compressor +turbine +generator the whole unit .but still it does not change anything point stand they are unreliable.
First of all the updates from Ferrari were on the ICE and not MGUH.

Second MGUH is just the electric component, the TC is a separate piece with a separate allowed part count.

And it changes a lot, first because the engine had the same number of failures as the honda, and second because it overheated in barcelona, the hottest race in the last 3 years at least, and caused everything downstream from that including Baku.

Lastly because Ferrari is widely recognized to be highest power of the lot, including by RBR and Merc so it's not clear how it would need to run harder to keep up when it's already on top.

Bill
Bill

Honda does not have pu failers on Rbr they have fuel pump issues which got solved and no ferrari does not have most power thats what media thought pre season but whose Honda unleashed the beast talking about engine power has become a taboo all we hear is Rbr magnificent straight line speed and Newey slippery genius aero like it happen in a vaccum

Bill
Bill

the pu are homologated so ferrari making changes to ice would be illegal unless for reliability

dialtone
dialtone

Bill wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 19:37
the pu are homologated so ferrari making changes to ice would be illegal unless for reliability
this seems a statement but a question would be a better fit.

Ferrari agreed with FIA about making ICE changes for PU2 to fix reliability concerns they had since pre-season testing.

dialtone
dialtone

Bill wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 19:07
Honda does not have pu failers on Rbr they have fuel pump issues which got solved and no ferrari does not have most power thats what media thought pre season but whose Honda unleashed the beast talking about engine power has become a taboo all we hear is Rbr magnificent straight line speed and Newey slippery genius aero like it happen in a vaccum
This is a terrible video. Not only there's no actual source of data except the telemetry which is really bad for this use, but the one example he shares where he puts honda on top, even from his own image looks to be a Ferrari on top example, so the methodology is also questionable.

And all that being said it's really useless to begin with: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... chwaechen/
Measurements by Red Bull and Mercedes have shown that the Ferrari engine is currently four kilowatts (5.4 hp) ahead of the Honda V6 and eight kilowatts (10.8 hp) ahead of the Mercedes. That could increase. First, Ferrari still has a revision of the hybrid system up its sleeve that can inject more power over longer periods of time. Secondly, some wiggle room has been left in the pre-ignition out of concerns about reliability. That could more certainly make for another bounce later in the year.
I'm pretty sure where I put the reliability of driver 61 compared to Auto Motor Und Sport.

deadhead

JPower wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 05:13
Leclerc with a new PU and upgrades at his best track has my vote for pole and the win. He's been excellent at Silverstone regardless of the car's relative performance.

However, I'm sure whatever upgrades RB has might make that irrelevant.
Yeah, that is if the red car can make it to the finish line..

JPower
JPower

deadhead wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 21:02
JPower wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 05:13
Leclerc with a new PU and upgrades at his best track has my vote for pole and the win. He's been excellent at Silverstone regardless of the car's relative performance.

However, I'm sure whatever upgrades RB has might make that irrelevant.
Yeah, that is if the red car can make it to the finish line..
Don't see why not. Just as much of a chance as Red Bull.

Zynerji

djones wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 14:14
Bill wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 14:00
Drag is codeword for the pu is not up to snuff
I can't figure out if this is a joke, or your actually serious :?
Ask Enzo😁

prendrefeu
prendrefeu

mzivtins wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 12:47
Can we expect a shock result for McLaren here?
No. They're running a brick.

Bill
Bill

According to Horner ferrari lost Imola because of clipping on straight early compared to Honda .how many times have we seen a ferrari behind a redbull even with drs they still fail to make a pass ie Maimi and canada come to mind .ferrari still has work to do on pu on many areas .peak power is half the story .is going to Rbr domination because development is limited on pu front.