FIA failed again?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Neuron
Neuron

FIA failed again?

During 2021 we have heard a lot of high hopes:

- new era is coming!
- equal chances!
- equal start!
- equal budget!

And what we got in the middle of this new era is the picture below. We are still forced to watch RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari. 10km/h+ faster through the corners. Still 1st and 2nd league.

I know that F1 always was like that (even worse considering Schumacher's , Vettel's and Hamilton's marathones) but what was the reason to make such big promises?

Or... I am wrong and budget cap will work hard from 2023?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: FIA failed again?

I don’t think anyone was under the impression things would be equal this year

With such complicated changes, It was obvious some teams would do a better job than others, but I think it is fair to say that probably the scope of design has has surprised the FIA somewhat

‘IF’ the rules stay stable for a period, then things will certainly level out over time, but it think there will be further restrictions written into the tech rules over the coming years

organic

Not to be rude, but I think you are a bit naive to expect immediate changes from something like this. Budget cap is a longer term solution than 1-2 seasons

The best engineers are generally still at the big teams, but when their ability to offer better contracts has decreased due to the budget cap their pulling power is lowered. But the employees they already have aren't necessarily going to all move immediately to smaller teams for an equal salary. It'll take time for the talent to become more diffuse; removing part of the big teams pulling power will over time equal things out. But it isn't immediate

Smaller teams need time to upscale. All of them now run at the budget cap whereas Haas, Williams, Sauber were not spending at the level they are now previously. Give them time and they'll step up

A clear example of this sort of thing is that Otmar in the news is saying that they're hiring more than 50 new employees in a recruitment drive, whilst recently all of the big 3 have been reassigning and laying off employees. Whilst there might not be huge impact already visible on the timing sheets, it will happen more progressively

We've already seen a Mercedes struggling more than they have in the past. The budget cap prevents these bigger teams simply throwing their budget at a problem like they did with wheel rims. I'm sure we'll see the big 3 struggle more often than they did previously when they make a dog of a car.

Teams like AMR, McLaren are currently investing into infrastructure and facilities to raise their level. McLaren waiting for a new wind tunnel for instance. AMR investing after their takeover. These things also take time

Furthermore, the start of a new set of regulations will spread the field out. If this is the widest it'll be, which is likely if the regs remain fairly stable, that's pretty good going.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Neuron wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 20:34
During 2021 we have heard a lot of high hopes:

- new era is coming!
- equal chances!
- equal start!
- equal budget!

And what we got in the middle of this new era is the picture below. We are still forced to watch RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari. 10km/h+ faster through the corners. Still 1st and 2nd league.

I know that F1 always was like that (even worse considering Schumacher's , Vettel's and Hamilton's marathones) but what was the reason to make such big promises?

Or... I am wrong and budget cap will work hard from 2023?

https://i.imgur.com/z7pNX9M.jpg
To state that these regulations are a failure purely because the field there is still a field spread after 11 races is just absurd. There should have been no expectation for the field to be close in the first year of a new regulation, because that is not what the budget cap and sliding development scale is for. It is to make it easier for smaller teams to catch up. If in 3/4 years it is still Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull out in front by a considerable margin then it would be fair to make that judgement. But it is literally 11 races into a set of regulations that will be here for 4 years

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

No they have not.

Budget cap came in 2021. But most ground work for current cars already started 2019, so nothing strange the big teams have an advantage still. This needs time to progress.

Also the car can race closer and it has been a more exciting first half than we have seen in 2017-2020

Neuron
Neuron

I understand you guys - everything needs time. But we had such one team dominations for... last 20 years? And now they tried to change it and finally we are still talking that we need 5 years more, it's kinda rubbish, imo.

What is the reason for Alpine or Mclaren to still be in F1? Do they earn such a lot just from F1 brand/marketing? Or Williams... They want to be at the front but anything FIA is trying to do they are constantly behind top 3.

I wonder how they are so patient(?)

DiogoBrand

The bigger teams have a much stronger foundation in terms of tools and simulations, even McLaren which has been top four over the last few seasons is limited by their wind tunnel.
Even with the budget cap, those teams will be able to do more with less effort because they have better tools, and they'll also be able to attract better people. If I'm paid the same for the same position, I'd probably rather be at Red Bull than at Aston Martin, for example.
The cap is there to even things out on the medium term, as well as to make it more viable for new manufacturers to join, not to turn F1 into a spec series (which let's be honest, even those have a difference between top and bottom teams).

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Neuron wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 16:29
I understand you guys - everything needs time. But we had such one team dominations for... last 20 years? And now they tried to change it and finally we are still talking that we need 5 years more, it's kinda rubbish, imo.

What is the reason for Alpine or Mclaren to still be in F1? Do they earn such a lot just from F1 brand/marketing? Or Williams... They want to be at the front but anything FIA is trying to do they are constantly behind top 3.

I wonder how they are so patient(?)
A one team domination does not change overnight. Unless the FIA want to have all teams fire all their personnel and have a lucky dip for teams to pick, knock down all their facilities and build them up again identical, the championship will never be an equal playing field. 95% of those working in F1 are there because they love the sport and all have ambition to eventually win. Thats why teams like Williams stay. Because F1 is their life.

This is my personal opinion, but I'm currently the most confident I've ever been that a team like Mclaren or Alpine will make the jump up to the top.

Zynerji

Cost cap + Design convergence will close the field. This is the first iteration. The times will get much tighter 2023-2025.

notsofast
notsofast

I have a different point of view. Design convergence is not why I watch F1. Quite the opposite. Building your own car is what makes F1 interesting to me. Cost cap is good (to the extent that it is enforceable), but I would rather see F1 change the formula every three years. I'm really enjoying this season so far. For example, it's interesting to see how Ferrari built a fast car, but they're struggling to avoid DNFs. Lots of interesting story lines this year.

Zynerji

notsofast wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:17
I have a different point of view. Design convergence is not why I watch F1. Quite the opposite. Building your own car is what makes F1 interesting to me. Cost cap is good (to the extent that it is enforceable), but I would rather see F1 change the formula every three years. I'm really enjoying this season so far. For example, it's interesting to see how Ferrari built a fast car, but they're struggling to avoid DNFs. Lots of interesting story lines this year.
In all competitions of probability, there is only one "perfect" solution. The moment that is exposed, all must copy to stay competitive. You will always have convergence. Eventually, it comes down to a tournament bracket structure of winners and losers.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Zynerji wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:43
notsofast wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 21:17
In all competitions of probability, there is only one "perfect" solution. The moment that is exposed, all must copy to stay competitive. You will always have convergence. Eventually, it comes down to a tournament bracket structure of winners and losers.
This is probably true when there is open regulations. But because F1 has tight restrictions, none of the concepts currently tried and tested this season are likely to be the 'perfect' solution.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Which would be the longer list, the FIA's successes or failures?
Is it like some countries that thrive despite their governments?

LM10
LM10

Why are some people obsessed with having equally fast cars all over the grid? Do you really want the drivers being the only differentiator? Has this ever been the case in F1? Why don’t people being unhappy about the driver not being the only differentiator go watch spec racing instead? It exists.

F1 is more and more following this path anyway. Each year things get absurdly restrictive and clever interpretations of clever engineers are being shot down in the minute.

A budget cap in theory gives almost all teams the same opportunity. I say almost because except 2-3 teams all others spend as much money as the cap allows to. If that’s not a level playing field I don’t know what is.

Zynerji

johnny comelately wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 01:46
Which would be the longer list, the FIA's successes or failures?
Is it like some countries that thrive despite their governments?
Post of the year!