Red Bull should drop Sergio for Alonso

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mendis
mendis

Re: Red Bull should drop Sergio for Alonso

chrisc90 wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2022, 17:34
Norris would be a decent shout
Red Bull young driver stable has a lot of drivers to come through and there is already Gasly who is waiting for his turn. Red Bull was too quick to sign Perez without atleast waiting for Summer break to arrive. But I agree Alonso is a better bet than Perez at this stage if it is a genuine possibility, which I don't think it is.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Perez is a good second driver for Verstappen. I think Alonso-Verstappen would be like Hamilton-Alonso 2007 in terms of efficiency and politics.
Red Bull should keep Perez, he's good enough to not bottle the WCC this year. If they can Red Bull should go for a better point collector like Ocon/Sainz (even if they can't get these two for sure).
Imo, they should go for Norris at the end of Perez' contract : he's young, competitive, he will probably cause more trouble to Verstappen but he's not Alonso, he will not make the team implode.

Sieper

Lando indeed is a great guy, positive, not politicking all the time, and very fast. But I think redbull has their own line of drivers and there is no need chance what they have going on.

Watto
Watto

Sergio was pretty poor this weekend, But I think hes probably close to perfect for the role is fairly happy to help Max out Hopefully he can get his form back as hes a little off it atm. I think hes capable of it but right now hes off the pace. I wonder how he would have gone if he was ahead of the Mercs at the start. I still feel he woud have been venerable to them later in the race. But may have just had them covered.

TNTHead

Perez being off the pace may also be due to the car upgrades leading to more stable front end, suiting Max' style than Perez', as is said.

When you are behind the two rival teams I don't see how Perez can help Max. Perez needs to work on a setup which works for him. Hopefully the car has a wide enough setup range so he can find the sweet spot.

gandharva

Silent Storm wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2022, 17:06
Redbull has always prioritized the faster driver within the team. First Seb then Daniel then Max. If someone else joins the team and beats Max then he will be their No1 driver.
That's how winning works in this kind of sport. I know alot of people don't like this, but it works for them.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2022, 17:49
First Checo is better than Max, then he needs to be dropped. Make up your mind guys.
Thing change. Only as good as your last race.

This thread should be closed. Topic can exist in the silly season thread or the Redbull team thread.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Schumalonso
Schumalonso

24 Jul 2022, 17:49
First Checo is better than Max, then he needs to be dropped. Make up your mind guys.
Checo is better than max?

Zxeros
Zxeros

Why do they need Alonso? Why risk something that seems to be working fine?

If Alonso went there and had a competitive car, there is no chance he would act the way the team would want him to.

Sieper

Thread can be closed indeed.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

24 Jul 2022, 17:41
Max is the man to concentrate on. The World champion, broke a dominance that will not be seen many times more.
Max is the man the team concentrate on - we've seen it before with Seb and we've heard Horner stating that the team title doesn't matter to them - it's the driver title they want.

Why would any driver looking to progress want to go to a team where they will be the actual number 2 to Max? Even if they're as quick - and how many would truthfully think they are - the team will favour Max in any 50/50 decisions because he is their chosen man. And that's OK because the team chooses to play it that way, but a Norris or similar won't want to be in that number 2 seat. I don't see Fernando doing so, either. The second seat at Red Bull is a journeyman's seat, not for someone with title aspirations.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Spoutnik wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2022, 17:54

Imo, they should go for Norris at the end of Perez' contract : he's young, competitive, he will probably cause more trouble to Verstappen but he's not Alonso, he will not make the team implode.
Norris won't go there unless he has equal status both contractually and in reality. If the team favour Max - and they do - then he'll never truly get equal status. And if he's quick enough to cause Max issues on track, it absolutely will cause the team to implode. It'd be a Alonso/Hamilton situation with a star driver being made uncomfortable.
I'm not sure Horner and Marko could manage that type of relationship: they aim to always have an easy 1 and 2 driver line up.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2022, 19:19
Spoutnik wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2022, 17:54

Norris won't go there unless he has equal status both contractually and in reality. If the team favour Max - and they do - then he'll never truly get equal status. And if he's quick enough to cause Max issues on track, it absolutely will cause the team to implode. It'd be a Alonso/Hamilton situation with a star driver being made uncomfortable.
I'm not sure Horner and Marko could manage that type of relationship: they aim to always have an easy 1 and 2 driver line up.
I think it will just turn out to be a Ricciardo-Vettel at worse. Horner and Marko are pragmatic if Norris is the future they will let him do his thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote: ↑
24 Jul 2022, 16:43
Alonso hasn’t go many years left in him. So once he retires, who do you replace him with?

Anyone they want. When you have a fast car, you will have drivers groveling at your feet to drive for you.

the EDGE
the EDGE

RB are quite happy with a compliant but slightly slower 2nd driver. Why would they want Alonso?

But Alonso does finishes races… Maybe Ferrari should take him back?