Opinion on 2026 regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vorticism

Opinion on 2026 regulations

The 90* V6 will be around for a while longer it seems. Thoughts? I think it's about cost savings; reducing ICE power density helps longevity permitting fewer engines per season, and the MGU-K was probably the most cost effective component to supply a corresponding increase in power.
𓄀

johnny comelately

Re: Opinion on 2026 regulations

vorticism wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 15:58
The 90* V6 will be around for a while longer it seems. Thoughts? I think it's about cost savings; reducing ICE power density helps longevity permitting fewer engines per season, and the MGU-K was probably the most cost effective component to supply a corresponding increase in power.
A 4 cylinder could be just as effective, vee or otherwise, considering the fuel flow limits.
Cheaper, lighter etc
To me, it all revolves around the fuel characteristics.

vorticism

As mentioned in the technical thread, one piece of the puzzle we may be missing is a yet revealed inclusion of active aero. RW DRS + 2009 FW DRS.
𓄀

vorticism

What do people make of Audi's involvement in all this? They will supposedly be bringing their own bespoke power plant. Will it be totally removed from the RB-Honda-Porsche powertrain?
𓄀

johnny comelately

vorticism wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 17:08
What do people make of Audi's involvement in all this? They will supposedly be bringing their own bespoke power plant. Will it be totally removed from the RB-Honda-Porsche powertrain?
Totally IMO, never the twain shall meet
Culturally consider the Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi Alliance and how that worked out...