2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gillian
Gillian

Re: 2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:51
Horrible race from Hamilton.
Alonso inside his head there.. or he generally has blind spot for that corner. Always has some coming together there many times now.
I started watching with his car in the gravel. But he should have simply let Alonso go.
Very silly error. Alonso could have avoided the incident, but he was not obligated to. So cannot blame him.
And i feel he did have the pace for P2 judgeing by perez and sainz pace.

Max dominant display. Very strong race. He is in his own formula right now. Perez is just the insurance policy.

Saiz.. he just cannot manage tyres at all but good finish.

Ferrari... still continue to fumble around but they survived being embarassed.

Leclerc will be beaten by Sainz this year. I have placed bets on no more wins for him.

Russel had an okay race. Kept good pace but nothing spectacular i think he did the best he could.

Man of the race for me is Ocon. Max is alien of the race. Just on a different planet than the others right now.
Agreed. =D>

mendis
mendis

Juzh wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:54
mendis wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:45
What a drive there by Alonso! Give the man a good car please. =D>
Hate to admit it, but Ocon also had mega performance today. Only 2 secs off Nando in the end while having to start at the back.
Alonso had some damage to his front wing due to Hamilton's move on him.

ringo

cplchanb wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:43
grubschumi13 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:33
Max Verstappen is the best driver we have the pleasure of witnessing in the last 20 to 30 years. Obliterating everyone in his wake.
So you're saying he's better than Michael schumacher hamilton and senna? Spoken like a true max acolyte
He is very good. But its all down to statistics at this stage as he has no competition and no champion teammate. But he has a good chance to surpass Hamilton because of his age. Assuming mercedes doesnt make a rocket ship again like this RB18 millenium falcon. Guys like Russel or Norris would need an equal car to challenge him. Leclerc is in love with Max now so he wont be a challenger.
Very strong and flawless drive today and Perez just never had anything on him.
As much as Hamilton did a daffed move today, I think he was the only one who could have given even a slight challenge today. So after his crash and Max in P7, P1 was only gonna happen in less than 15 laps for max.
For Sure!!

Big Tea

Gillian wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:55
Big Tea wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:37
Well that car and driver was in a class of one today. How can even his detractors not like him? (as a driver)
It is what it is. In this very thread, on a technical forum nonetheless, some say he's the best ever even compared to Senna and Schumacher while others say it's just the car boring.

The Red Bull was the best car today for sure. But then look at what Perez did and what Verstappen did. The latter came from behind, avoided collisions, preserved tires better all the while lapping at a blistering pace. That's what the best do. That's what Hamilton has done one more than one occasion too. It's fantastic to see.

But if you're not a neutral fan of the sport then yeah... Shame really.
You can not compare drivers across decades. I doubt Max would have survived in the Stewart days and I know Jackie would be lost with the technicalities of today.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

basti313
basti313

cplchanb wrote:
grubschumi13 wrote:
Max Verstappen is the best driver we have the pleasure of witnessing in the last 20 to 30 years. Obliterating everyone in his wake.
So you're saying he's better than Michael schumacher hamilton and senna? Spoken like a true max acolyte
Not really. You can argue about Michael, but Ham always had his errors throwing away points with either bad Q or not well executed races. Verstappen is in the last two years driving on a level where he maximizes everything he can. If he keeps this up like Vettel did when he had his rocketship then he is driving on a level that Ham never had.
Don`t russel the hamster!

renault rs26
renault rs26

Juzh wrote:
mendis wrote:
Hate to admit it, but Ocon also had mega performance today. Only 2 secs off Nando in the end while having to start at the back.
But Ocon had new engine, it must be worth a few tenths and helped in overtakes.

Juzh

renault rs26 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:00
Juzh wrote:
mendis wrote:
But Ocon had new engine, it must be worth a few tenths and helped in overtakes.
True, and that damage alonso had. well, still good nonetheless.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:58
Gillian wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:55
Big Tea wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:37
Well that car and driver was in a class of one today. How can even his detractors not like him? (as a driver)
It is what it is. In this very thread, on a technical forum nonetheless, some say he's the best ever even compared to Senna and Schumacher while others say it's just the car boring.

The Red Bull was the best car today for sure. But then look at what Perez did and what Verstappen did. The latter came from behind, avoided collisions, preserved tires better all the while lapping at a blistering pace. That's what the best do. That's what Hamilton has done one more than one occasion too. It's fantastic to see.

But if you're not a neutral fan of the sport then yeah... Shame really.
You can not compare drivers across decades. I doubt Max would have survived in the Stewart days and I know Jackie would be lost with the technicalities of today.
Exactly, the "I pass or we crash" antics of modern drivers (from today back to the Prost / Senna days) would have resulted in serious injury / death in the 1970s and before. Also, the crashes that result would have killed spectators back in the day, too. Von Trip's accident, for example, is thankfully very, very unlikely these days.

It's great that we don't have these risks today, but let's not try to compare drivers across eras again - it doesn't work for this amongst several other reasons.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

cplchanb wrote:
grubschumi13 wrote:
Simply yes he is. Even more so than the aforementioned and I am a Schumacher fan but I must acknowledge Max is better than all of them. I am certain time will tell the same story.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

When I think about this rule change bringing the field together what a joke
In France or Hungary it wouldhave been the same thing even without the big mistakes from Ferrari/Leclerc

f1jcw
f1jcw

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:56
SchuMassa wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:47
djones wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:16

He was half a car in front. Please put your hatred of Hamilton aside and look at this objectively.
Half a car in front = still alongside. The incident is fully on Hamilton.
Hamilton accepted the blame when asked. Didn't let the reporter bait him ref.: Alonso's comments immediately after the impact. Class act. Shame, it could have been a decent race for him otherwise.
I don’t get this thing, when Mercs, Russel and Lewis have being on the inside and the person on the outside it has being put forward by forum members the person on the inside needs to disappear. We had a incident similar a few weeks ago with Russel in the Alonso position and `Russel was judged at fault.

organic

Here's Max's onboard dumping his tearoff towards the end of the lap with Charles right behind him.. just before leclerc has trouble

Like a Mario kart banana. Unfortunate for Charles

organic

Leclerc drove 1 kilometer per hour too fast in the pit lane. Binotto just explained that the sensor they normally use was not working due to overheating.

Leclerc had problems with his cooling, presumably because a tear-off from Verstappen's helmet ended up in it.

Supposedly pitlane overspeed a cause of a sensor. Due to only 1km/h excess speed I think that's not a fib to protect Charles

RZS10

I thought that tear off blocked his front right brake which necessitated the stop during SC on lap 3? [...]

edit: the wheel speed sensor is in that area ... duh
Last edited by RZS10 on 28 Aug 2022, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

organic wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 18:21

Here's Max's onboard dumping his tearoff towards the end of the lap with Charles right behind him.. just before leclerc has trouble

Like a Mario kart banana. Unfortunate for Charles