Hypercars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
vorticism

Hypercars

General thread for super/mega/hypercars.

The next Bugatti will be a hybrid with a combustion engine, in an arrangement which 'no one is expecting.'
What kind of powertrain will the Bugatti you develop from scratch have?

It will be heavily electrified, but we'll have a very attractive combustion engine. When people see the next-generation Bugatti, I think they will be surprised that I was pushing for something like that because people associate me with electric cars. But I have always been a performance guy and a car freak. Considering the brand and the customers and the technology available, I think that we are developing the best possible solution for Bugatti, which is not an electric car today. It will be one day, but not today.
What will it have? Series hybrid? Parallel hybrid? Something else? Straight-8 is the classic Bugatti engine arrangement. Rimac brings the 'heavily electrified' component. My guess? Series hybrid with direct drive (single speed) motors per axle. Essentially the Rimac Nevera drivetrain with an ICE and generator replacing the big battery. Gear ratios will be simulated in software.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... -within-vw
đ“„€

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Re: Hypercars

vorticism wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2022, 18:57
General thread for super/mega/hypercars.

The next Bugatti will be a hybrid with a combustion engine, in an arrangement which 'no one is expecting.'
What kind of powertrain will the Bugatti you develop from scratch have?

It will be heavily electrified, but we'll have a very attractive combustion engine. When people see the next-generation Bugatti, I think they will be surprised that I was pushing for something like that because people associate me with electric cars. But I have always been a performance guy and a car freak. Considering the brand and the customers and the technology available, I think that we are developing the best possible solution for Bugatti, which is not an electric car today. It will be one day, but not today.
What will it have? Series hybrid? Parallel hybrid? Something else? Straight-8 is the classic Bugatti engine arrangement. Rimac brings the 'heavily electrified' component. My guess? Series hybrid with direct drive (single speed) motors per axle. Essentially the Rimac Nevera drivetrain with an ICE and generator replacing the big battery. Gear ratios will be simulated in software.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... -within-vw
The quotes from Mate Rimac, I think??
A guess is the Audi Dakaresque format

vorticism

Yes, and my reasoning is that no one's done a production performance series hybrid yet, it would allow them to do practically anything with the ICE as it would only ever see controlled load from the GU.
đ“„€

gruntguru
gruntguru

300 hp ICE, 2 kW.hr Lithium battery, 1 kW.hr ultra capacitor, 1200 hp total electric motors.
je suis charlie

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

gruntguru wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2022, 03:26
300 hp ICE, 2 kW.hr Lithium battery, 1 kW.hr ultra capacitor, 1200 hp total electric motors.
How mundane :wink:

gruntguru
gruntguru

Gotta keep the weight down.
je suis charlie

vorticism

Have to wonder where the weight targets will be. Bugatti the last couple decades were associated more with luxury/GT finishing i.e. to toward heavier rather than lighter.
Nevera: 2150 kg (4740 lbs), 1427 kW (1914 hp)
Chiron: 1996 (4400), 1103-1177 (1470 - 1578)
Rimac: Because if you look at Bugatti, it's all based on the W-16 engine, which is almost two decades old. It is an amazing powerplant that created the hypercar business. The easiest thing for us would be to take the Nevera and slam a Bugatti logo on it and call it a day. But I was against it. I'm an electric car guy, but a Bugatti should still have a combustion engine for some time. But it will be developed in a way that is financially viable. We have developed everything in the Nevera from scratch. You will not find one piece in that car that you can find on another car, and we have done that on a shoestring budget compared to what, for example, Volkswagen has invested in the Chiron. We will do the same for future Bugattis, creating really exceptional products that are not comparable with anything else on the market, but without spending billions on them. That's really the key. Also, Bugatti is completely sold out until 2025. This is an incredibly good position to be in.
Read into that what you will. Developing electronics and chassis components is different from building engines. Will Rimac as well get into ICE design and manufacturing? Or will Porsche provide that part. Porsche currently has 4, 6, and 8 cylinder powerplants in production. Bugatti historically is known for I-8 and 16 cylinder U, \|/, & V-V powerplants. Porsche historically has 10, 12, and 16 cylinder vee and flat powerplants in their repertoire.
đ“„€

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2022, 16:17
Rimac: Because if you look at Bugatti, it's all based on the W-16 engine, which is almost two decades old. It is an amazing powerplant that created the hypercar business. [...]
The F1 was probably the first hypercar in reality, but the Veyron certainly put a big flag in the ground on the summit of that particular automotive mountain.

Some might even suggest the F40 and the 959 as being the first hypercars. They were certainly a level above the previous generation of supercars. But the F1 was a step again above them. Actually, probably two steps and thus the first hypercar.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

The first Rimac had a gearbox on the rear axle. How about a combustion rear axle with 3 or 4 speed automatic and 2 big ass electric motors on the front.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NL_Fer wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2022, 21:45
The first Rimac had a gearbox on the rear axle. How about a combustion rear axle with 3 or 4 speed automatic and 2 big ass electric motors on the front.
If you want to do more than about 100mph, and get there in any meaningfully quick time, you'll need more than 3 or 4 gears in your 'box.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2022, 22:18
If you want to do more than about 100mph, and get there in any meaningfully quick time, you'll need more than 3 or 4 gears in your 'box.
Koenigsegg Regera disagree’s. Don’t forget the electric motors

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

30 Aug 2022, 23:44
Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2022, 22:18
Koenigsegg Regera disagree’s. Don’t forget the electric motors
The Regera doesn't have ICE on the rear axle, EM on the front. It has a combined ICE/EM/final drive "lump" driving the rear and they work together (along with a third "torque fill" EM on the ICE) to give the desired effect. The drive system has a slipping mechanism to allow the ICE to be disengaged at low speeds.

I doubt you could easily replicate that in a split drive system without either automatically disengaging the ICE at low speed and giving it a torque fill EM as well or having plenty of gears.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I see that the use of downvotes in place of discussion is still alive and well. :roll:

vorticism

No one is immune to hybridization and Phillip Lee, Gordon Murray Group boss, recently admitted GMA’s research and development team is already working on different electrified projects. The team is currently exploring several ideas in the search for the best electrification solution for the manufacturer.

“Eventually we’ll all end up going electric,” Lee told Top Gear in a recent interview. “I think that will be the endpoint and the reason is because legislation will dictate where we’re all going. For GMA, that is something we are working on and we’ve got R&D within Gordon Murray Technologies in order to explore different types of powertrains, all the way through hybridization, electrification, hydrogen, alternative fuels... we’re looking at everything in order to see where the roadmap is.”
Lee is missing the second more exciting option: ignore what legislation dictates.
đ“„€

vorticism

KTM GT-XR

transverse 5-cyl
7 spd DCT
1250 kilo kerb

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-eur ... t-xr/46177
đ“„€